97 Mark Detail

I've trying to tell you... he does great work!

Its weird seeing another black mark out there at the shop thats not mine LOL!

Yes he does.
I am very happy.

I wonder how it looks today outside the shop!!!!!!

I told you that thing would shine up great! I just did not have the time to deal with it. You did a great job, KK! ford nut, I hope she treats you well!

Cant believe I have had this car since 09.
After 3 years of salt baths it is retired from winter duty and is going through an upgrade.
Pulled out the 150k tired engine.
As you can see it was taken care of and still rates as rust free.
wheelie_zps7c44cc54.jpg

Found a rebuilt 3650

DSC_0030_zps7fe68a6b.jpg

Santa came early with a 50k engine
DSC_0038_zpse436cff6.jpg

Dash is out so wiring harness can be moved firewall can be modified for the SC pedal.

DSC_0181_zps43fc1f6c.jpg

DSC_0182_zpsc65b60f3.jpg

Dash is back in, time to get started on the engine, I found a set of low mile cobra heads to pull the cams from.

DSC_0257_zpshqjglufw.jpg

Got the beast nakid and ready to degree cams this should be fun!!

DSC_0269_zpsxyvtg4vk.jpg

If you can, post some pictures of the cam degree process. I have done pushrod motors but would like to see a overhead valve motor done.

If you can, post some pictures of the cam degree process. I have done pushrod motors but would like to see a overhead valve motor done.
First thing I did was to pop out all the rockers to stop all the valve train monkey motion, to make the engine easy to rotate.

I used a long stem indicator instead of a piston stop to find TDC of #1 that way I can keep rotating the engine in one direction keeping chains tight and keep the slop out of the readings.

DSC_0273_zpsgyf5gtuc.jpg

DSC_0274_zpsjouna8te.jpg

DSC_0275_zpstqh7ntzj.jpg

Some kind of solid lifter is needed to take out the play for checking valve rise.
I was lucky to have this adjustable one loaned from a friend.

DSC_0283_zpsjwurl72k.jpg

Once TDC is established I checked rise of cam at the retainer

DSC_0278_zpsqitw8xcb.jpg

Zero out the indicator at max rise of the cam rotate engine until indicator reads .05, write down reading of degree wheel at the crank ...rotate engine until the indicator reads .05 before max rise write down the number of degree...
add the two numbers together and divide by 2 and that is your number.

All 32v engines should be 114 degree

Now that is when the trouble starts....
My readings on a low mile engine.

Drivers side intake 118 degree
Drivers side exhaust 110.5 degree

Passenger intake 116 degree
Passenger exhaust 108 degree

Free power putting them at 114 degree plus the power would be in lower part
of the power band were these engines need it the most.

Most cams are keyed from the factory

DSC_0293_zps3rrmeowh.jpg

My plan is to pull the keys, add cobra intake cams... put the cams were I want them and make a set of custom keys.
One could run no keys because once the gear bolts are torqued down they do nothing.

But.....if that bolt ever came loose one would have a junk engine.
:shifty:

Now that is when the trouble starts....
My readings on a low mile engine.

Drivers side intake 118 degree
Drivers side exhaust 110.5 degree

Passenger intake 116 degree
Passenger exhaust 108 degree

yep. turns out, ford did a really bad job of setting up the chains and such, and as a result, this happens.
even on a new engine...

this is cool.
please keep up the good work and pics!

Cobra cams are in but the exhaust cams are sitting at 110 degrees so its time to spend some money.
The intake cams take very little movement to see a big change in degree so I'm thinking a little key way work will do the trick.
The crank spins the primary gears that are keyed to the exhaust cams, I need the trick flow crank gears that can be indexed which in turn will move the primary gear were I want it.... or buy the MMR adjustable primary gear.
hummm.....

I have to do this some day in the future. I have my "low mile" engine on the stand, and a number of boxes full of parts I need to throw at it....some of those parts being 96-98 Cobra cams.

Interested in loaning out some of the special tools?

I have to do this some day in the future. I have my "low mile" engine on the stand, and a number of boxes full of parts I need to throw at it....some of those parts being 96-98 Cobra cams.

Interested in loaning out some of the special tools?
PM sent

Spend some money and get that thing done!

LOL.....I know I'm going a little overboard on this.
After my feeble mind has had time to process this I think the crank gears have too much movement for these stock cams, it takes very little movement of the cam to see a big change in the degree wheel.

Going to try and take .020 off the primary gear to get the movement I want and shim up the slop before torquing down the cam bolts.

Should be wrapped up this weekend.

Members online

No members online now.
Back