94 jerks going up hill

Outlaw94

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
In overdrive it will jerk when going up hill.The trans fluid level is good it has newer plugs,wires,clean air filter and the fuel filter is about 2 1/2 years old.The rpm's don't change when it does it.Any ideas whats causing it? hope it's not the torque converter or OD slipping.Last night when backing up after leaving a store I had to stop because a car was coming and it felt like it was starting to stall a little.Then on the road going about 50 it was jerking quite a bit so I turned off OD and it was fine.Does sound like a trans,misfire or fuel problem?. I checked the fluid today and it was a little high so I removed about half a quart but it still did it going up a steep hill in OD but it was better then last night.

Might as well J-Mod the puppy if you get as deep as the accumulator springs.

o.p: what does 'newer plugs' mean?

Newer spark plugs

It shifts fine but the fluid is dark.Also IDK if it was ever flushed but I did change the filter and pan(96 and up style) and put about 4-5 quarts of mercon V in it last year in April.Is mercon V compatible with mercon? and would it need a accumulator update if it shifts fine?. It's got a 141.xxx miles on it and a 93 w3z2 PCM.

if its got trans shudder its not really shifting fine now is it?
dark fluid is scary.
you should try dr tranny or whatever its called.
where is sbcaprice? he used that stuff. worked with him.

FWIW, i flushed my car at 140k and it lasted til 170k. YMMV.

It sounds like the lock up torque converter might be activating to early if it goes away when you take the overdrive off . My 93 mark does this going up a hill all I do is give the brake pedal a quick tap with my left foot and the lock up feature on the torque converter disengages temporally and the surging goes away when the rpms rev higher. It's like shifting a stick car into a higher gear when you are not up to speed.

The way I check for flashover is watching it as my wife runs it through the rev range from idle to 4000 in the darkest place I can find. Any spark boot or plug problems will be obvious. Our cars are a lightshow when anything out of kilter electronically. My '95 had to have two supplemental ground straps installed to allow my headlight upgrade to work properly. Plus, it seemed to effect the shift points, too, but I suppose any voltage drop would do that.

Not saying it's not the plug wires but wouldn't it miss all the time?. It still had the oem wires until last year and they were arcing but the car didn't do it then.The first time I remember it doing it was last year on a flat road heading out west and that was after replacing the wires and trans filter.It only does it in OD when the rpm's are low and when I have to give it more gas it will jerk,sometimes on flat roads but most of the time going up hill.Could it also be a sensor that's causing TC lockup solenoid act up? but then again it could be a misfire causing the TC to act up as well right?. Also it does have the oem coil packs too.

Their Napa Belden 8mm wires.Could having too much anti seize on the spark plugs threads cause a grounding issue?. I'm gonna check all the hoses TB intake gasket,wires,spark plugs and see if there oil getting in the spark plug holes.

Definitely check for oil in spark plug wells. Belden wires are good wires. Trans shudder can and will happen in any gear except 1st. I still think you have a misfire of some kind.

Been searching online and hoping it's just the anti-seize on the spark plugs.I read that Motorcraft plugs are nickel plated and do not need anti-seize and it can also affect the torque. So I'm gonna start with the plugs,clean em up and go from there.I don't recall having the issue before the new spark plugs.

OK what I found so far.The outlet at the air box isn't round on the bottom so gonna take a heat gun and reshape it.Moving up the breather hose has cracks at both ends,will replace.Passenger side plug wires look good and the seals for the cam cover are pushed in towards the spark plug holes and a little wet but dry at the plugs.The plugs all look good and took a wire brush to the threads and reinstalled same for the other side.Now the drivers side,found oil in hole #6 about a teaspoons worth and for plug wire #7 the rubber boot that slides on the spark plug has splits in it and that one came off a lot easier.So it looks like #7 could be the problem.The driver side cam cover doesn't look fun to get off.

awhile back my car was missing- bucking, I replaced plugs that looked fine, it started running normal and smooth with the new plugs. Oil in the plug holes is pretty common, and from what I hear a big job to resolve.
Autolite copper 764s is what works good for a lot of mark VIII's

In overdrive it will jerk when going up hill.The trans fluid level is good it has newer plugs,wires,clean air filter and the fuel filter is about 2 1/2 years old.The rpm's don't change when it does it.Any ideas whats causing it? hope it's not the torque converter or OD slipping.Last night when backing up after leaving a store I had to stop because a car was coming and it felt like it was starting to stall a little.Then on the road going about 50 it was jerking quite a bit so I turned off OD and it was fine.Does sound like a trans,misfire or fuel problem?. I checked the fluid today and it was a little high so I removed about half a quart but it still did it going up a steep hill in OD but it was better then last night.
You know when I first read the title of your thread on the forum I thought it was the beginning of a joke; "So, there are 94 jerks going up hill", lol... I was expecting the rest of the joke when I clicked on your thread! WHat a bummer! Anyway man, sounds like your torque converter is having issues. I'd replace it asap before you get bigger issues. Since you gotta bring your tranny down anyway, have them replace the main seal in the rear already. Kill 2 birds with one stone!!!

Well hopefully it's just a misfire.Gonna replace the wires and cam cover seals and gasket then go from there.I also found the gasket that sits on top of TB had what looked to be super glue inside it.Took about an hour to clean that out and was able to get the air box outlet round with the heat gun.

my 96 did that it started every once in a while then progressed more. i replaced all the plugs and wires and it solved the problem lucky for me. hopefully its that easy for you

Members online

No members online now.
Back