93 ABS issues.

LaserSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So trying to figure out whats up with my friends 93 Mark VIII, Sapperfires car. He has an ABS light and its code 17 (I think) which is the controller error. He got a new module from a 94 and it still has the same code after a computer reset. Car locks up its brakes which sucks.

It may be the actual pump but before he swaps that out does anyone know if the ABS module is specific for 93? Having a hard time keeping straight whats what. I know the ECU, steering rack, rear shocks and driveshaft are 93 specific and the 96 has a whole slew of specific crap too but never heard anything about the 93 ABS module.

I would think the pump would swap out and those shocks you mention also came in some 94's. The anti-dive type?? They were in my 94 when I had it. Steering rack also had the better turning ratio but will still swap into any Gen 1 as will the drive shafts and the PCM from a 95, 94 should work in a 93 too, just wouldn't have as much aggressiveness.

I can't say for sure that one from a 94, 95, 96 would swap into the 93 but I don't see why not.

This may be too simple from me, but how clean is your spindle? My ABS was acting up until I cleaned everything.

Everything at my wheels is perfectly clean, and all of my speed sensors tested ok...

I ran the abs scan and only got code 17, my manual asks for a special scanner and adapter for the ABS ECU, which I can't find anywhere because ford and Lincoln have lost/broken theirs

I would think the pump would swap out and those shocks you mention also came in some 94's. The anti-dive type?? They were in my 94 when I had it. Steering rack also had the better turning ratio but will still swap into any Gen 1 as will the drive shafts and the PCM from a 95, 94 should work in a 93 too, just wouldn't have as much aggressiveness.

I can't say for sure that one from a 94, 95, 96 would swap into the 93 but I don't see why not.
I know they can be used in other cars, my point was how some things are different and sometimes cant cross over. Like using a 98 rack on another year, cant fit yet the quick ratio 93 rack can go on a 97 or earlier etc etc.

Just didnt know if the ABS module might be a 93 only setup.

Everything at my wheels is perfectly clean, and all of my speed sensors tested ok...

I ran the abs scan and only got code 17, my manual asks for a special scanner and adapter for the ABS ECU, which I can't find anywhere because ford and Lincoln have lost/broken theirs

Maybe take a ride to another city close by where another Lincoln dealer is and see if they have one. Of course I would call first but I'm sure someone close to you is bound to have one.

Like using a 98 rack on another year, cant fit yet the quick ratio 93 rack can go on a 97 or earlier etc etc.

Care to share where you got that info ? Racks interchange 93-98, with 93-96 being the quicker ratio, much like 94-97 t-bird, and 97-98 being the slower (over 3to1) ratio.

Got the info on here. Then doing some searching I see the part numbers are different and the reason is supposedly cause the mounts are different. Also looking at some parts on SCP it says that the poly rack bushings dont fit the 98.

Got the info on here. Then doing some searching I see the part numbers are different and the reason is supposedly cause the mounts are different. Also looking at some parts on SCP it says that the poly rack bushings dont fit the 98.

You of all people should know better than to trust SCP for anything ;)

The 93-98 racks interchange just fine.

my abs lights on do to a wire is snaped my a wheel hub and i just need to replace that check that out and go from there?

The wires at the wheels are the sensor wires...my sensors are fine, you check those by unplugging them and hooking a sensor scanner to it...

I have plenty of sensors if you want one, this will help prevent you from having my problem, which is, in a panic stop , with ABS light on, the ABS doesn't work, so the brakes just lock up and you slide...which puts flat spot in the tread of your tires...and it'll feel like driving a washing machine on spin cycle

bill his car is a 93, the new brain was from a 94, you have to remember that trac assist was an option, if sappers car has trac control and the 94 that the brain came out of didnt, you cant use it, or vice versa, if sappers 93 doesnt have trac contrl, and the 94 did, no good. you need an abs brain from a 93 unit with the exact same part number as his, these abs units are all different in one little way or another ford loves doing dumb :q:q:q:q like that just to wreck your day. you should be able to use a brain from 93-95 as long as the part number is alllllllllllllllllllll the same except for the F-3, 4 or 5.

Pretty sure the car he pulled it off of has TC and I know his dont. Thats prolly it right there. Thanks Jamie. :)

Pretty sure the car he pulled it off of has TC and I know his dont. Thats prolly it right there. Thanks Jamie. :)

Well, that explains why the 93 PCM I have didn't work in my 94 but I do know it is a working PCM. I have one from a 93 but it DID have TC and my 94 didn't and the 95 I have now doesn't either. I learn something everyday. Bill, you want that rack back lol? It's still in the box just like you sent it to me. I haven't even pulled it out to look at it.

My car has a code 17 as sapper already knows, I havn't needed to panic stop, but a few times when driving under 10mph or so if I engage the brakes with moderate force the pedal vibrates and it feels like the abs kicks on. It has done it maybe 3 times. It hasn't done it since I had the speed control recall or my front pads and rotors changed. If I ever experience it again I'll have to pay more attention. It's wierd.

I have my abs light on but I have'nt even begun to get into that can of worms yet! I do have to stay off of peoples ass when it is wet out because it slides if I hit the brakes too hard. I have'nt had any problems with it sliding when it was dry out, but I know the abs is'nt working because of how easily it locks up in the rain!

I will get into that can of worms once I get rid of all my check engine lights! I need to rebuild my whole front end! It does'nt rattle or knock but I just want all new parts under there! I plan on keeping this car for a while, probably until it is dead and going to its grave!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back