40 mpg in 04 V8. What are you getting out of yours?

Around here in the summer time, having the intake down there will get you hotter air because of the sun heating up the road ways. The stock air intake gets cool air (as cool as it's going to get) while the car is moving.

These debates keep coming up. It's simple enough to measure the intake air temperature (the PCM already has a sensor for that) to prove if you have made an improvement or not. No one ever seems to do this though...

Around here in the summer time, having the intake down there will get you hotter air because of the sun heating up the road ways. The stock air intake gets cool air (as cool as it's going to get) while the car is moving.

These debates keep coming up. It's simple enough to measure the intake air temperature (the PCM already has a sensor for that) to prove if you have made an improvement or not. No one ever seems to do this though...

I wonder if one of these smart phone apps and a blue tooth adapter could pull the intake air temp on the average Joe's (no pun intended) rig?

I'm patiently waiting for the next thread to be started "Hey guys I installed a chip in my LS and gained 40 HP, what are you getting out of yours?"

I'm patiently waiting for the next thread to be started "Hey guys I installed a chip in my LS and gained 40 HP, what are you getting out of yours?"

I've tried that, here's my results:

Doritos: Gained about 2HP, lost .1MPG
Lays: Lost .25HP, lost 10MPG
Sun Chips, Cheddar Harvest: Gained about 5HP, gained 20MPG
Cheetos(yes, not a chip, but must be fair): Would not start until removed, and locked me out afterwards.

I am currently awaiting the test results from an independent agent to verify my results were correct.

Cheetos(yes, not a chip, but must be fair): Would not start until removed, and locked me out afterwards.

I am currently awaiting the test results from an independent agent to verify my results were correct.

I hope you patented that before you revealed your secret to us!!!

+1 :GotPics: :lol:

Is there a V8 ANYWHERE that achieves 40mpg? When a 4-banger struggles to get in the 30's with a light car there is NO WAY a 3800# car with a V8 will get 40! Physics are physics!

Where's the display (from YOUR LS) showing 650+ miles to empty?

Is there a V8 ANYWHERE that achieves 40mpg? When a 4-banger struggles to get in the 30's with a light car there is NO WAY a 3800# car with a V8 will get 40! Physics are physics!

MAYBE a hybrid. No way a regular v8 gasoline engine can achieve 40 MPG consistently.

I love all the sacrasm :/ I'll post pics as soon as I get out ta the hospital. Re-tore my ligaments in my hand and have to have it cut open again. I was actually thinking about getting the obd2 Bluetooth adapter to measure everything so I can figure out myself how the hell I got those results

I'm talking about having the filter down in the wheel well pulling actual cold air, not the"under the hood, in the engine compartment, pulling hot air" intake

Trust me you won't be having any patent on that, first it's several thousand dollars to do so takes years as there is no point to spend that to manufacture a PVC intake anyone can make. Also you need to come up with cad drawings, and every specific detail down to the polymer make up of the plastic. Which by the way you are using a product most likely already patented to make your product. Oh and you will a patent lawyer to make sure no one has already patented this. Why on earth would you spend 10k or better to patent a 20 dollar intake that no one will buy.

Good luck budy, ill do your cad drawings for 500 bucks

Its a prototype, I'm going to do it in aluminum, just gotta figure out how to get the 90 degree bend in it

14773b2971c73b-43.-Pinocchio.jpg

I'm just saying, its all possible. I know you guys love to joke and I'm used to it. I used to get a lot of **** was I was building ricers. But nothing sounds better than a v8

Keep talking, you're making me look good!

O, and ls4me, u mean a 3900, the L's v8 is a 3.9l. The 3800 is the Pontiac v6 lol

You do understand that it is possible for a 3,800 pound car to have a 3.9 liter displacement engine? These are two different numbers about two different things.
LS4ME numbers are correct.

Your mileage numbers are impossible. Also, getting colder air into the engine is all about increasing the maximum power output at full throttle. It is not about increasing gas mileage. I would think that if anything, colder air in would decrease mileage (but not by a measurable amount).

Why do you not expect disbelief when you report something that we all know is impossible and present no real and verifiable proof?

I'm jumping into the **** storm MELEE!!

I'm working on the V8/40mpg mpg part. Except I'm over here in this place called "Reality".
Granted, it's not a LS, but I've been working on EcoModding my Grand Marquis.
Quickly- 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis- 3799# stock. Observed 24/28city/highway.
I have the fuel logs over on Ecomodder.com.
I have installed an aluminum driveshaft, MSD iginition, WARM AIR INTAKE, electric fan(clutched fan removal), -2 cars, full dual exhaust and 2.73 gears!!!
Next is the WAP aluminum engine blcok to drop 83Lbs from the car.
Now, alot comes from changing driving styles/habits.
My goal is 30 mpg mixed, which is attainable.
But, there are mods invloved. You cannot get 40mpg out of just driving a stock V8 LS.
Cold air intakes? Great for power, colder air= denser air=more oxygen available=bettererer combustion and teh power!
Warm air intake? Great for meh. warmer air= less energy required for combustion, but less oxygen=less power.

I do agree with, the "The vehicle is moving" theory. Air will not be stationary in the engine bay while you're going 60mph.

Blarg.

-ryan s.

Needs something like this I saw in a WALMART parking lot.

2006 Lincoln LS in Cashmere Tri-Coat Metallic.

Members online

Back