40 mpg in 04 V8. What are you getting out of yours?

I'm sure this thread was just research for his college paper!!! (any else remember that!)

you always run around the city with your cruise set?!?
I do... lol

Not as much in the LS as the truck, because I tend to put my foot in the pedal. But when you drive two V8s, and the average speed around your home is 45~55 in the city, speed control can save you a lot of gas.

And yes, its been a long time. I came back because of the message I got about the new look. lol

I just cleaned the MAF. I was getting ping at WOT and hesitation off the line. I used an old can of Gunk Throttle Body cleaner. WOW! Tire screech on initial acceleration and again on the manual 1-2 shift. Over 450 miles I was at 15.3 mpg and now I'm at 15.8 mpg just since the cleaning today. I noticed I don't have to tip into the throttle as much on take off.

I made a 300+ mile round trip yesterday down the turnpike. I filled up before leaving and when I returned, for an average of 24.5MPG. That was going 70-75MPH most of the way, and about half an hour of traffic. I would think 26-27MPG could be done with slower driving and nothing but straight highway. Not too shabby, in my opinion.

not bad! My foot would never allow it.

But we just rented a car to take up to IL. for a wedding... They promised a ford edge, But got a 2014 Ford C/max hybrid... it got 45+ in the city and 36 on the highway... Although it was a joke of a car looking at it... I must admit, it had some balls to it, handled well and the interior was awesome. Ford has stepped up their game a bit.

Interior pic:
20130505_162913_zpsfd7bea18.jpg

20130505_162913_zpsfd7bea18.jpg

2.0L i4 ... but it spent most of the time running on the electric side... (unless on the highway)... i dont the the engineers planed on it running 90mph a lot...

OP vamped, so my question is: Hydrogen cell, worth getting for a good price? My cousin has one, figured I'd collect info so that if it is worth it, I can trade him an old sub I have...

OP vamped, so my question is: Hydrogen cell, worth getting for a good price? My cousin has one, figured I'd collect info so that if it is worth it, I can trade him an old sub I have...

No, it is complete and absolute fraud.

You take energy from the alternator to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. There are losses doing this.
The alternator takes energy from the engine to make the electricity needed above. There are losses doing this.
The hydrogen and oxygen that you just spent energy splitting apart are recombined in the engine making water and releasing the energy you just put in splitting them apart. The engine is able to capture some, but not all, of this energy.
Repeat cycle.

Notice that energy is lost/wasted at each step each time.
If it wasn't lost (it is, if you understood physics you would know why it must be this way), the best you could do is break even.

Not exactly a COMPLETE fraud, but not ready for prime time yet. There is an aquarium (can't remember the name, but it's one of the big ones on the west coast) that has a hydrogen powerplant setup. They use solar panels during the day to create hydrogen, then use the hydrogen to make electricity at night. It's more of a research product than a cost savings measure. Right now, hydrogen is a very expensive way to store generated electricity. So far as using hydrogen to run your car, you'd be better off stopping by the local gas man to buy bulk hydrogen than to try and convert as you go.

If you want an effective way to run your car and get 100+MPG, you want to be looking at the serialy hybrid WITHOUT onboard storage, ie X miles of battery only range. Mother Earth's website has a few articles that describe a guy that used 1950s tractor and jet parts to build a car that would get 70MPG all day long at 45MPH back in the 1970s. Modern tech advances would allow 100+ at highway speeds today. In fact, internet rumor has it that GM used this when they tested the EV1 back in the 1980s. The EV1 could not store enough electricity to do the 24 hour endurance test, so they put a generator trailer on the back of it to make electricity for the test. It worked so well one of the engineers suggested that they build the EV1 with a generator on board, but it was shot down.

Nope, a complete fraud.

Yes, hydrogen fuel works. Yes, it can be made from sea water with solar input.
No, you can't make it from power from the same thing you are powering. That's a perpetual motion device, and there's a reason that does don't exist.

In your example, you could have a net gain on a car if you used solar panels to power the water-to-hydrogen cell. However, you would get even more gain if you skipped the cell and connected the solar panels directly to a motor powering turning the wheels. Of course the equation changes if the panels are not mounted on the car and the water-to-hydrogen conversion occurs somewhere else. But, this is not even remotely what Murdered_LS8 was talking about.

No, it is complete and absolute fraud.

You take energy from the alternator to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. There are losses doing this.
The alternator takes energy from the engine to make the electricity needed above. There are losses doing this.
The hydrogen and oxygen that you just spent energy splitting apart are recombined in the engine making water and releasing the energy you just put in splitting them apart. The engine is able to capture some, but not all, of this energy.
Repeat cycle.

Notice that energy is lost/wasted at each step each time.
If it wasn't lost (it is, if you understood physics you would know why it must be this way), the best you could do is break even.

Taking me back to college here, joegr

Nope, a complete fraud.

Yes, hydrogen fuel works. Yes, it can be made from sea water with solar input.
No, you can't make it from power from the same thing you are powering. That's a perpetual motion device, and there's a reason that does don't exist.

In your example, you could have a net gain on a car if you used solar panels to power the water-to-hydrogen cell. However, you would get even more gain if you skipped the cell and connected the solar panels directly to a motor powering turning the wheels. Of course the equation changes if the panels are not mounted on the car and the water-to-hydrogen conversion occurs somewhere else. But, this is not even remotely what Murdered_LS8 was talking about.

Yes, except the hydrogen cell would work at night whereas the solar cells would not, which is why I stated that it's an expensive way to store electricity. I do totally agree that the idea of seeing a net gain by using a car alternator to generate hydrogen to burn in said car's engine is bogus. We'd need a much cheaper way to split hydrogen and oxygen than we have now for this to be effective and even then you'd need an engine designed to burn hydrogen to make it worthwhile. Dumping hydrogen into a gasoline engine, not worth messing with. Using hydrogen in a fuel cell to run an electric car, might be worthwhile one day if the tech advances far enough. For the forseeable future, too expensive.

Not exactly a COMPLETE fraud, but not ready for prime time yet. There is an aquarium (can't remember the name, but it's one of the big ones on the west coast) that has a hydrogen powerplant setup. They use solar panels during the day to create hydrogen, then use the hydrogen to make electricity at night. It's more of a research product than a cost savings measure. Right now, hydrogen is a very expensive way to store generated electricity. So far as using hydrogen to run your car, you'd be better off stopping by the local gas man to buy bulk hydrogen than to try and convert as you go.

If you want an effective way to run your car and get 100+MPG, you want to be looking at the serialy hybrid WITHOUT onboard storage, ie X miles of battery only range. Mother Earth's website has a few articles that describe a guy that used 1950s tractor and jet parts to build a car that would get 70MPG all day long at 45MPH back in the 1970s. Modern tech advances would allow 100+ at highway speeds today. In fact, internet rumor has it that GM used this when they tested the EV1 back in the 1980s. The EV1 could not store enough electricity to do the 24 hour endurance test, so they put a generator trailer on the back of it to make electricity for the test. It worked so well one of the engineers suggested that they build the EV1 with a generator on board, but it was shot down.

Top Gear Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust - http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Hammerhead_Eagle_i-Thrust http://youtu.be/WfNfwNWWphI

Ed

These numbers are actually quite possible. I get around 46mpg city.

I drive 7miles, car overheats, I get out and push it 39miles. Love my LS

Maybe he's using this!!!!!!!

Notice he hasn't been here since July????? Hmmmmmmmmmm..........

Members online

No members online now.
Back