4;30 gears

Buckeye68

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok I am going to rebuild the lsc carrier with a 31 spline posi and a bigger set of gears. What rpms are you guys turning at 70 with 4:30's? 4:10's

I am working on the programmer and will most likely have the local DS shop build me a I piece if I have issues.

yep it currently running a complete 04 cobra center and axles

at 60 in my 97 with 4:30's i'm spinning around 3000 rpm so around 70 i'd have to say between 3,500 and 3,800 maybe i dont know i never looked at 70 but i have at 60!

I am running a 245-45-18 atm. I need to measure the height, I am not sure what they are

I am running a 245-45-18 atm. I need to measure the height, I am not sure what they are

(((245/25.4)*0.45)*2)+18 = 26.68" diameter

my rears are 275-40-18 if that makes any difference.

(((275/25.4)*0.40)*2)+18 = 26.66" diameter

Actual diameter may vary slightly by manufacturer, but that's how you calculate it for comparison. :)

It is. He is running a speedo gear for 4.10s.

You will be just shy of 80mph (79) at 3000 rpms with 4.30s in OD with a 26.6" diameter tire.
Second gens dont get the signal from the VSS. Thats only for the suspension lowering point, speed limiter and trans shif points.

The speedo is from the ABS sensors.

I wondered why when I went to 3:55 it was still correct.

Second gens dont get the signal from the VSS. Thats only for the suspension lowering point, speed limiter and trans shif points.

The speedo is from the ABS sensors.

Doh! :rolleyes:

Darn 2nd Gens. :p

Regardless, the math is correct and the speedo must be wacked.

(((245/25.4)*0.45)*2)+18 = 26.68" diameter

(((275/25.4)*0.40)*2)+18 = 26.66" diameter

Actual diameter may vary slightly by manufacturer, but that's how you calculate it for comparison. :)

I believe your new forum name should be Einstein.

nice post...think i'll go 4.10's...my bro had 4.30's in his 4v cobra..but that thing would spin to 7k...

I already found a $25 93 solid driveshaft at a junkyard I snatched and have my xcal 3...just gotta save cash for the gearswap now.

nice post...think i'll go 4.10's...my bro had 4.30's in his 4v cobra..but that thing would spin to 7k...

I already found a $25 93 solid driveshaft at a junkyard I snatched and have my xcal 3...just gotta save cash for the gearswap now.

I really don't see that much benefit to going to 4.30's plus you can't calibrate your speedo correctly...4.10's is just the right gear for these street driven cars.

I really don't see that much benefit to going to 4.30's plus you can't calibrate your speedo correctly...4.10's is just the right gear for these street driven cars.
SpeedCal will fix the speedo. Mines quite accurate now.

incorrect, the speed cal will fix the speedo 100% accurate with 4:30's even if you leave in the stock 3:27 vss gear. even though i have a 4:10 vss gear and 4:30's gears accourding to them digital " your speed is " my speedo is 3 mph faster that my actual speed so its close enough for me i dont speed anyway so i dont have to worry about it.

I meant the other stuff with the shift points...4.30's 4.10's for each their own...I guess buy the gear that you can get the best deal on...

i'm sure there isnt a whole lot of change between 4:10 and 4:30 but there is a huge change in my car from my 3:73 to 4:30. if you dont want neck snapping gear changes and in the toilet gas mileage i wouldnt go with 4:30's, if you dont mind that then i say hell yeah jump all over it, my car is a blast now!

My gas mileage in town didn't change much surprisingly for me. I drive it quite briskly though the majority of the time, so it stinks no matter what gears for me, and the steeper ones in town made it get to speed quicker the way I drive so mileage didn't take a huge dive. (It's still not that great, stock or not, for me is what I'm trying to say, lol) ;)
I am rarely on the highway but it was fine as well, I'm not going to win any top speed records but it was no problem going up north once in a while etc, plus they made passing easier. I drive around town with od off, and once I'm on the highway I turn it on...
I do miss how much they woke the car up and made it more fun to drive. I really wish I had kept them, and didn't notice how much the difference was till I got rid of them...
As for the shifts, thats all done in the tune and jmod/trans mods so the gears dont have much effect on that at all. It was shifting to hard for me after the tune and Baumann kit so I had the tune redone and its almost perfect now...

I get between 21-23 on the hwy and city driving is typically 13-15 depending how much I get on it....

i went from 18.4 with 3:73 as my average city to 15 flat if i am lucky with 4:30's. i have not taken it on the interstate yet since the gear change!

Members online

No members online now.
Back