245/45/16 tires?

98LSC32V

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Would running 245/45/16 tires be alright or is it too low profile? How much would it change my gear ratio to go from 60 to 45 tires?

With that tire, your speedo will read 7.3% too fast. IE when it reads 60 MPH you will be going 55.6 mph.

95LSC32V said:
Would running 245/45/16 tires be alright or is it too low profile? How much would it change my gear ratio to go from 60 to 45 tires?

DONT too small of a profile.

95LSC32V said:

It would be like going from 3.27s to 3.55s. ;)

Driller, would I have no issues running the 45 tires or are they really too low profile for 16's?

I saw 245\45\16 at sears today on american racing wheels. The profile wasnt 2 bad, but the overall size looks REALLY small. That and your spedo will be off.

95LSC32V said:
Driller, would I have no issues running the 45 tires or are they really too low profile for 16's?

I couldn't say. I ran 245/50-16 in a drag radial and thought they were smallish and they were about an inch smaller on the diameter. The 245/45 would be about an inch smaller yet. IMHO, you would lose some ride quality due to the shorter sidewall, but probably no more than running 18s with near stock diameter. :confused:

I am running 245.50/16's on my car. They are smaller than stock, but do not look that bad. Is your car sensor lowered at all, or is it still stock height? If it is not sensor lowered it will most likely look a lil........off (to be nice about it) because the fenderwells will no longer be as filled as they were with the factory size tires. Here is what the car looks like with the 245/50's on it, so you can see the difference. But, you have to remember that my car is sensor lowered so my fenderwell is lower than it would be if it was stock height, but you can see that I have plenty of extra fenderwell clearance.

Barney_tires.JPG

barney.jpg

barney1.jpg

barneyshoes.JPG

barneyshoes (1).JPG

barneyshoes (2).JPG

barneyshoes (3).JPG

barneyshoes (4).JPG

barneyshoes(5).JPG

barneyshoes (6).JPG

I run either 225's or 235's(/60-16's). The site here allows me to compare stock to options available. My Mark is spring lowered but I still don't want to screw up the speedo etc. by being more than 1.5 to 2% off either way. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html Good luck, Ed :cool:

i just ordered some toyo t1 n 245 55 16 shouldnt be a big diff between this and stock (how they look on ) also what do you think about keepin the front tires stock size and the rear as the 245 s

nasirone said:
i just ordered some toyo t1 n 245 55 16 shouldnt be a big diff between this and stock (how they look on ) also what do you think about keepin the front tires stock size and the rear as the 245 s

I don't know how do you feel about rotating your tires?

nasirone said:

I run stock sized tires on the front and 245/50/16s on the rear.

Personally I dont rotate my tires because IMHO it decreases the length of time the SET of tires is on the car.

The way I see it, the rear tires wear more/faster than the fronts, due to my driving habits.So, I dont move worn tires from the rear, to the front.

FWIW, I get 50,000 miles out of my rear tires and 80,000 out of a set of fronts.

Alot of people are tire rotaters, if that makes them feel good, that is fine "for them"

Personally I dont like compiling the different wear rates from front to back and side to side, it seems to wear the tire out faster than if I just "leave them in place".

I just "run em til they die".. which is quite a long time in my case.

XLRVIII said:
The way I see it, the rear tires wear more/faster than the fronts, due to my driving habits.So, I dont move worn tires from the rear, to the front.

FWIW, I get 50,000 miles out of my rear tires and 80,000 out of a set of fronts.

I just "run em til they die".. which is quite a long time in my case.

50K on the rear tires....Tommy, how the HELL is that possible. I know you from the 'other' boards and I know how you drive. Well, not literally, we never met, but I have an idea if nothing else. To get the 50K outta the rear ones, when you get new tires, do the old tires look like Maypop's....may pop at any time. And, if you ran your hands over the tire you might get cut by the steel bands???

Holy crap, I wish I could get 50K outta my rear tires...:shifty:

John Hubertz said:
That totally crisp brown Mark VIII! (here's why)
OriginalPicture.jpg

Hi Mrrrr. Hubertz, been a while yeah....

I think what your drewlin on...(I know..I do too ;) is actually a bit more luminpurplessence, yes, I made that word up, but it best describes the actual color, if not, please correct me 1wykdmk8.

Hope all is well with you John,

Smooch,
MsM8

1wykdmk8 said:
50K on the rear tires....Tommy, how the HELL is that possible. I know you from the 'other' boards and I know how you drive. Well, not literally, we never met, but I have an idea if nothing else. To get the 50K outta the rear ones, when you get new tires, do the old tires look like Maypop's....may pop at any time. And, if you ran your hands over the tire you might get cut by the steel bands???

50K! lololol
50K! lolololol .....

~~~rolling on the floor~~~

wait a minute ...did you say.. 50 K?....lololol

fiddyK outta any tire would be nice! I'm happy to get fiddy outta all 4 combined!

KizIzz,
MsM8

MsM8tress said:
fiddyK outta any tire would be nice! I'm happy to get fiddy outta all 4 combined!

Have you even had any of your Marks for 50k miles Debi?

*owned*

:admin

Joeychgo said:
Have you even had any of your Marks for 50k miles Debi?

*owned*

:admin

yeah...snif..snifnif..sniffniff...my first MarkVIII....I had her for 105,000. Blue...she had much more life in her left....damn insurance and my ignorance :mad:

not the same with the last one... many nights, much self torment....new summer sandals is all I can lay initial blame on (major piggie injuries is what makes me think that), none the less...still my fault.. oddly enough...the parts off it went to LVC members..., then LVC found my boy TUX....

but rubbers...I go thru em like I go thru lip gloss! lololol

BIGDADDY,.......I LOVE THIS SITE>>>>>>
SMOOCH! SMOOCH!!!!!!! SMOOCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MsM8

I have three different sizes of tires right now due to alignment that is pretty, hell, very bad. i had yokohama yk420 235/55-16's on the front, but now on the front left i have a goodyear rs-a cop car tire which is 225-60-16. and on the rear i have a set of BFGoodrich T/A kdw's and they are 245/50-16 and i think if my speedo is off because of them thats a good thing. welll...as far as me not getting tickets...if thats any testament of how slow the people in front of me were really going then this makes me more upset. haha. ok im done.

i have 245/55's they fill out the wheel well very NICE, i just ordered some RE750's in stock size for the front, and gonna get some new Toyo's for the back, just trying stuff out with the different sizes

I have three different sizes of tires right now due to alignment that is pretty, hell, very bad. i had yokohama yk420 235/55-16's on the front, but now on the front left i have a goodyear rs-a cop car tire which is 225-60-16. and on the rear i have a set of BFGoodrich T/A kdw's and they are 245/50-16 and i think if my speedo is off because of them thats a good thing. welll...as far as me not getting tickets...if thats any testament of how slow the people in front of me were really going then this makes me more upset. haha. ok im done.

...and your a major accident waiting to happen from the sound of your post...
:slap:

Well I dont do John Force burnouts at the track, I only spin the tires enough for them to dry off... and I dont drive the car like a bat out of hell on the street.. as it would just "sh*t tires" in first gear anyways..so..
Since I get MORE than my fair share of "track time" {over 6000 passes}, I dont really drive hard on the street... quite the opposite actually.

I take it "very easy" on the street and save all my "wanna go fast" for the track.

The last 3 sets of rear tires went 50K, 45K and 50K..
First set were "discount tire road huggers"
Second set were "cooper Zeons"
Third set was "cooper Zeons"..which have netted my "best 60' to date"(2.08)

Members online

No members online now.
Back