2013 Taurus SHO

I took delivery of my 1988 GT on Thursday April 14th, 1988. The next day I took my Father, an old Woodward Ave racer from back in the 60s, for a ride. I had my Peruvian girlfriend with us in the back. I made a right turn into the ramp leading on to the South Bay Freeway. I nailed it at about 20mph. There was a screech, then 2nd screech with a little side step then 3rd with a scurp and I shifted into 4th at about 100mph and layed into it again all the way to 130 mph. My father turned and looked at me with his jaw dropped! He said "what kind of engine is this?" And I told him it was a Five Point Ohh. Then he told me he hadn't been in a car that ran that hard since his 1971 Road Runner the the 340 Six Pack. I sure wish I had my Stang back.

I took delivery of my 1988 GT on Thursday April 14th, 1988. The next day I took my Father, an old Woodward Ave racer from back in the 60s, for a ride. I had my Peruvian girlfriend with us in the back. I made a right turn into the ramp leading on to the South Bay Freeway. I nailed it at about 20mph. There was a screech, then 2nd screech with a little side step then 3rd with a scurp and I shifted into 4th at about 100mph and layed into it again all the way to 130 mph. My father turned and looked at me with his jaw dropped! He said "what kind of engine is this?" And I told him it was a Five Point Ohh. Then he told me he hadn't been in a car that ran that hard since his 1971 Road Runner the the 340 Six Pack. I sure wish I had my Stang back.

this smells a little fishy... due to the fact that an 89 mtx is faster and thats not a very fast car..

successful_troll.jpg

This has got to be one of the dumbest debates I had read on any board in a long time. Not sure how many more "facts" are left to be pulled out of your ass.

Robot, you has the bestest car evar! will that shut you up now?
My 2006 LS V8 Sport is 3960 pounds with my 210 pound black ass in it with a full tank of gas and a bucket of chicken in the passenger seat and a Texas Striped in the trunk! Now What's Up!!
Your black ass must be on a hell of a diet! Your mighty LS weighs 3907lb, leaving 53 pounds for you and your chicken.

The real specs:
1970 Boss 302 Mustang -------- Lincoln LS (bestest in the world)
Engine Type: V8 5000cc --------- Engine: 241 cu in, 3950cc
Horsepower: 290 bhp @5800 rpm--------- Horsepower: 280hp @6000
Torque: 290 lb-ft @ 4300 rpm -------- Torque: 286 lb-ft @ 4000
0-60 mph: 6.9 sec --------- 0-60 mph: 6.7
Quarter Mile: 14.6 sec @ 98 mph ---------- Quarter Mile: 15.1 @ 94mph

I wont even bother with the Mustang debate. I owned, and built a fox. Every fox owner seems to convince themselves they own a rocket. By today's standards an Accord is fair competition. Must have been a pretty wet street if it couldn't contain 215hp of fury.

lets just all admit that todays Boss (2012) engine trumps the 70 Boss 302 handily and move on.

i want an SHO, it snows a lot in the northeast, it would be a great cruiser car with great winter traction and a bunch of hp and torque.

i also want the new 5.0 in my mark with a 6 spd,even more than i want the SHO, snow be damned

Come on guys! You really think I would make this stuff up? No one here. Believes my GT could scratch in the first three gears? Wow! I'm really sorry you guys missed the good old days. I guess I paid $325 a month insurrance for nothing. Man the way some of you talk, I was just living in my little dream world. Maybe I was dreaming. Maybe I'm dreaming now. This must be the Matrix. You must be right because everybody seems to think I'm full of :q:q:q:q. I don't know what to sa i y. I thought I made it clear with the gross vs net horsepower thing 290 or 310 gross vs 280 net. Anyway, yeah I had one of the fastest 5.0s in San Diego back then and I thought I was hot :q:q:q:q back then at 20 yo. I wasn't the best but I was always the last to lift.

Btw, what is an 89 mtx?

Btw, what is an 89 mtx?

1989 model with manual transmission. Yo.

Anyway, here's page 47 of my copy of "Supercars '70-1/2" from the editors of "Cars" magazine. It wasn't "Motorcade" as I had thought. Anyhoo...it clearly says the Boss 302 would do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. That's pretty damn fast, even by today's standards. No stock LS could even begin to come close to that number. Quarter mile is done in 13.5 seconds at 103mph. The LS isn't even in the same zip code as that. The top speed of 112 isn't that impressive however. But the 4.30:1 diff gears and 4-speed are responsible for that. Anyway, suffice it to say that the Boss 302 was severely underrated and stupidly fast.

boss 302 specs.jpg

Edit: And from what I've read, there's no real "formula" for calculating the difference between gross and net hp. So any "net" hp numbers for the Boss 302 that are not published by a reputable source are pure guesstimates...unless someone can provide a link to an actual formula to use (which there may very well be, I just haven't found it).

supercars 70.jpg

boss 302 specs.jpg

supercars 70.jpg

I believe you could scratch the tires for second and third. Cause the factory gatorbacks sucked.
Face it that car ran a best of 14.5 stock that would not have cut it when my dad was street racing in the 70s let alone the 80s and 90s.

I will give you that with the 4.30 gears. That is more than likely the track pack option too.

Rule of thumb the calculation is about 80% of gross gives you net. I am sure that will vary a little either way. I saw that formula way back when in one of the mags. I will try and find it. The difference is all about accessory drive and mufflers vs non muffler though.

My car cant even scratch the tires off the line let alone when changing gears but I can guarantee it would destroy any stock Fox or LS. Must use magic.

Just to show that the Boss 302 actually came out in 1969. This is one I restored and owned in the early 80's. I also owned 3 distinct carburation setups that were around at the time for racing and street. The "Bud Moore Mini Plenum" was track only and was setup with a single 4 barrel. There were also 2 versions of the Autolite in line 4 barrel (Cross Boss), one was for road racing and one for 1/4 mile. Wish I had taken more pics.

69 Boss 302.jpg

I guess I paid $325 a month insurrance for nothing.

$325/month HOLY CHIT BROSEF! Yeah, I guess you did Robot because I pay less than that to insure 3 vehicles on my policy and my Mark8 would've walked all over your 5.0hhhhhh Getting rubber in 3 gears? Big deal, I've gotten 3rd gear rubber on drag radials in a 4000# Lincoln:

Mark VIII acceleration pull - YouTube

^That means you can be quiet now. And I like your avatar too. It makes you look like you live on your computer which you apparently do. :rolleyes:

Friend of mine did 14.2 stone stock in a 90k mile 89 gt. I didn't believe it until he did it again.

Back to your pointless debate....

My car cant even scratch the tires off the line let alone when changing gears but I can guarantee it would destroy any stock Fox or LS. Must use magic.

What is your car? That 740i sport?

I don't know about anyone else but I can burn the tires off the line with the traction control on. That is starting from manual 1st though. I just got the car so I am no expert on it yet. I hung with some shmuck in an S400 Mercedes. I am not into drag racing anymore. I know she is very healthy and wicked on launch.

$325/month HOLY CHIT BROSEF! Yeah, I guess you did Robot because I pay less than that to insure 3 vehicles on my policy and my Mark8 would've walked all over your 5.0hhhhhh Getting rubber in 3 gears? Big deal, I've gotten 3rd gear rubber on drag radials in a 4000# Lincoln:

Yeah wow you are running a heavily modded car and you are making comparisons to my stock stuff? Damn! Really?

^That means you can be quiet now. And I like your avatar too. It makes you look like you live on your computer which you apparently do. :rolleyes:

I don't have a computer dude. And btw, before I lost my Mustang I was pushing 550hp and more than 600lb-ft of torque and would have torched your :q:q:q:q but I didn't mention that because I don't have that car anymore. Oh and yes, when you are 20 yo and have a car that will do more than 150mph, you would pay big insurance fee back then about $4000 a year.

Just to show that the Boss 302 actually came out in 1969...

Okay. We all know the Boss 302 came out in '69. I don't think that's being debated. Or did I miss something?

This is my son's new 2013 SHO, and it was under $45,000
Not a bad looking car. Since your son has one of these, maybe you can find out what the F/R torque split is on the '13 model. I'm very curious about it since it was smoking the rear tires drifting around that corner in the TV ad. If the torque split is rear biased like most real AWD cars, I'd be a teeeeeeensy bit more interested in it, despite the stupid sideways engine.

@Thaywood

The SHO doesn't have a center diff. It uses torque vectoring which is like continuously variable between all of the wheels. It would be interesting to see how that works in the snow.

Members online

Back