2001-2004 Devilles more reliable?

captainalias

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a '95 Deville, and it hasn't exactly been the most reliable car, not to mention, eats oil like crazy. I was thinking of going Lincoln next time around, but do the newer Caddies have better reliability?

You would think that a manufacturer would learn from past mistakes and improve on the new model especially when its the same type of engine. In my mind the Towncar is one of the most reliable cars out there. I have seen many people out there with over 300,000 miles on their towncar and still ridin' strong.

Rats, so I guess the answer is no? :)

However, the styling and interior and handling of the Deville is much nicer than the TC.

i have a 95 towncar with 215,000 miles and it starts and runs great every time. i like the styling of lincoln alot better than cadillacs. i like the late fleetwoods though.
=Derek=

the earlier 4.6 in the lincolns had a problem with some i believe valve stem gaskets drying out, but was not expensive or very difficult to fix and was fixed on 98+ possibly earlier. I've heard the northstars can last but require that you do frequent maintnance. Not problem fixes but rather just that you keep up on the fluid change schedule. I've had a 5.0 91 t-bird and bought it at 28,000 miles and kept it till about 70k using synthetic oil and neaver had a problem. We bought it in 96 and kept it about 6 years. Then a 93 vic with the 4.6 which i did replace those gaskets but it wansn't really a problem yet but at 90k i wanted to replace them while i had the money. But when i got my 98 towncar I did find that reliability did seem to be rated higher and from talking to owners got the same impression. Though maintnance might equal the driveline reliability many people don't and with a used car you can't fix their laziness. And things like window motors etc... also seemed more frequent of a problem on the cadis. Plus the clincher was no rwd after 96.

Nah, nah, nah.. . you're all way off! Go for the power of Northstar and trade it in, later. lol ... Seriously, the newer Devilles are much more reliable from what I heard.

Buy a 2000-2005 Deville. It'll kick the Lincoln in the ass every time. And the Northstar engine is a treat to drive. And starting 2000, the Deville was the first car to use LED rear tail lights...and wow are they brilliant. Take note next time you're behind one. People will definately see when you hit the brakes. What's lincoln using.. . ehemm.. incandesant light bulbs.. :sleep: ..lol.
I bought an '03 Deville and she's a real screamer. I love to surprise the kiddies in thier infinities and such. I get some strange looks, nobody expects it at all!!
I was told by a guy at Caddilac that the newer Northstar is a racing engine and thus, will use a small bit of oil over time. That's all I know about that.
Is Lincoln still using Airsprings in the newer Town Cars?

Last edited:
The Northstar consumes oil for no reason I had an STS and at 80000 miles it was using about 11/2 quarts of oil per tank of gas. The dealer found nothing wrong and contacted the tech support and was told this was normal and within Cadillacs acceptabl guidelines. Thus I now drive a 97 Mark VIII I have 122000 miles and use no oil,have had no suspension problems. The only thing to ever go bad was the blend door actuator. :L

I hear that 01-05 are the best years. 00 had the most problems, with the dash rolling up and cam sensor problems etc. A 300 N* Deville DTS will kick the crap out of a 232 hp 4.6 Town car in almost every way. The only thing i like about the town car is that its rwd. I like the newer styling but other then that its a crown vic plain and simple.

first i could never drive an oil burning northstar and would not own a car where when the enigne goes it would cost 8000 dollars to replace LOL

Awesund said:
Nah, nah, nah.. . you're all way off! Go for the power of Northstar and trade it in, later. lol ... Seriously, the newer Devilles are much more reliable from what I heard.

Buy a 2000-2005 Deville. It'll kick the Lincoln in the ass every time. And the Northstar engine is a treat to drive. And starting 2000, the Deville was the first car to use LED rear tail lights...and wow are they brilliant. Take note next time you're behind one. People will definately see when you hit the brakes. What's lincoln using.. . ehemm.. incandesant light bulbs.. :sleep: ..lol.
I bought an '03 Deville and she's a real screamer. I love to surprise the kiddies in thier infinities and such. I get some strange looks, nobody expects it at all!!
I was told by a guy at Caddilac that the newer Northstar is a racing engine and thus, will use a small bit of oil over time. That's all I know about that.
Is Lincoln still using Airsprings in the newer Town Cars?

whats wrong with incandesant bulbs?
and i love the air spring suspenion.. your deville have the magnetic ride control? just wait till that goes bad and you have to replace it.. ouch.

Nakoa said:
whats wrong with incandesant bulbs?
and i love the air spring suspenion.. your deville have the magnetic ride control? just wait till that goes bad and you have to replace it.. ouch.

Well, the town car guys know about bad suspensions since half of them lose their air ride and end up looking like low riders that cost alot to repair.

If you want acceleration, luxury and class then go for the caddy. If you want a crown vic with a leather interior and some wood panels then by all means go for the town car. BTW 230 hp in a car that heavy is going to make run like 17 seconds in the 1/4 compared to the 15.5 the Deville DTS would run
Also, the reason why a n* is 8 grand is because its a pretty sophisticated motor. Also its tried and true otherwise why would gm be using it for over 10 years?

yeah but compared to the devvile the town car youses like no oil man
the caddy on top of a oil change every 5 k atleast if not ever 3 k
you have to ad atleast like 2 or 3 qourts of oil every 5 k on top of the oil change form wha i have seen if your not doing that then you gona be screwed one day
our town cars oil change every 3 to 5 optional and not extra oil needed unless you want to

suspension lasts about the same from what i have heard just your caddy cost alot more to fixe then our linconlns man

SSTUD said:
Well, the town car guys know about bad suspensions since half of them lose their air ride and end up looking like low riders that cost alot to repair.

If you want acceleration, luxury and class then go for the caddy. If you want a crown vic with a leather interior and some wood panels then by all means go for the town car. BTW 230 hp in a car that heavy is going to make run like 17 seconds in the 1/4 compared to the 15.5 the Deville DTS would run
Also, the reason why a n* is 8 grand is because its a pretty sophisticated motor. Also its tried and true otherwise why would gm be using it for over 10 years?

Trust me, that magnetic ride control is going to go bad, call me and let me know how much it costs when that time comes. 817 688 1472

lincolns air suspension is cheap to repair. We only paid $250 to replace it in my first town car.

Tried and true? The northstar was a pos in the 90's. It amazes me how cadillac sold that many sh*tty cars during the 90s based solely on a name.. Everyone i know with a 90's model caddy has had nothing but problems with it.

If you want acceleration.. you shouldnt look to a 4300lb sedan to satisfy that. the dts in terms of hp is not comparable to the towncar. 300hp vs 230hp is not even an argument. But in terms of torque produced in relation to hp, lincoln comes out ahead. the numbers arent as high, but the ratio is higher. I have driven a few caddies.. I dont like the fwd.. I know for a fact my 99 tc will stomp the :q:q:q:q out of the n* 96 deville my old boss had.. i drove that car on several occasions.

comparing the crown vic to the town car is old and lame.. find a new argument. they share a platform.. get over it.

Ive never understood why its always been acceptable for gm to release the same thing with a different name but when ford does anything like that there is nothing but critisicm for it.

i.e. GM, CHEVROLET and CADILLAC trucks and suvs.. they are all the exct same thing.. one says crapillac on the sides, one says gmc and the other says chevrolet..
Escalades are jokes..
The 90something buick roadmaster and the comparable year fleetwoods are same effing car.

there may have been a few design hues taken from the towncar for the crown vic.. Maybe that was to give the crown vic a little more class than most "baseline family sedans" ? None of the body panels are the same, the lincoln frame is hydroformed, air suspension, better quality everything, different designed interior, higher compression engine. In fact.. Im going to start calling your deville a park avenue if you keep calling my town car a crown vic.
I know what i had to choose from when i bought my car.. and i know what i picked.. and it damn sure wasnt a deville.

The northstar was nothing but a rushed intech rip off.. and chevy is still paying for that one..

Atleast my car wont leak 2 quarts of oil from the factory.
have fun with that 7 quart oil pan.
Fck the N*. people like you make me even more loyal to what i like.

Anything chevy makes is nothing but an overglorified economy car and anything beyond that is a copy from someone else.Their originality was lost in the 70s when they were tyring to catch up with everyone else to avoid bankruptcy.

I just cant trust anything that comes from a company that produced a roster of cream puffs like the chevy celebrity, the 80s pontiac le mans and SATURN.

Atleast ford never had the genius idea to produce the corvair or saddle tanks.

You can stop trying to start sh*t that isnt there now. I didnt make a stab at your car...

*owned*

Nakoa said:
Trust me, that magnetic ride control is going to go bad, call me and let me know how much it costs when that time comes. 817 688 1472

lincolns air suspension is cheap to repair. We only paid $250 to replace it in my first town car.

Tried and true? The northstar was a pos in the 90's. It amazes me how cadillac sold that many sh*tty cars during the 90s based solely on a name.. Everyone i know with a 90's model caddy has had nothing but problems with it.

If you want acceleration.. you shouldnt look to a 4300lb sedan to satisfy that. the dts in terms of hp is not comparable to the towncar. 300hp vs 230hp is not even an argument. But in terms of torque produced in relation to hp, lincoln comes out ahead. the numbers arent as high, but the ratio is higher. I have driven a few caddies.. I dont like the fwd.. I know for a fact my 99 tc will stomp the :q:q:q:q out of the n* 96 deville my old boss had.. i drove that car on several occasions.

comparing the crown vic to the town car is old and lame.. find a new argument. they share a platform.. get over it.

Ive never understood why its always been acceptable for gm to release the same thing with a different name but when ford does anything like that there is nothing but critisicm for it.

i.e. GM, CHEVROLET and CADILLAC trucks and suvs.. they are all the exct same thing.. one says crapillac on the sides, one says gmc and the other says chevrolet..
Escalades are jokes..
The 90something buick roadmaster and the comparable year fleetwoods are same effing car.

there may have been a few design hues taken from the towncar for the crown vic.. Maybe that was to give the crown vic a little more class than most "baseline family sedans" ? None of the body panels are the same, the lincoln frame is hydroformed, air suspension, better quality everything, different designed interior, higher compression engine. In fact.. Im going to start calling your deville a park avenue if you keep calling my town car a crown vic.
I know what i had to choose from when i bought my car.. and i know what i picked.. and it damn sure wasnt a deville.

The northstar was nothing but a rushed intech rip off.. and chevy is still paying for that one..

Anything chevy makes is nothing but an overglorified economy car and anything beyond that is a copy from someone else.Their originality was lost in the 70s when they were tyring to catch up with everyone else to avoid bankruptcy.

I just cant trust anything that comes from a company that produced a roster of cream puffs like the chevy celebrity, the 80s pontiac le mans and SATURN.

You can stop trying to start sh*t that isnt there now. I didnt make a stab at your car...

*owned*
wow
do i Agree Man

Nakoa said:

Escalades are jokes..

*owned*
The deville out classes the TC in every aspect. Acceleration, handleing, interior better recognized name plate as a luxury manufacturer. Better resale. Plus caddy doesnt share platforms with lesser manufactures (except escalade and that hasnt hurt its resale since the truck has become so popular). I can get almost any ford product in a lincoln or mercury version. This is bad since it hurts the luxury line up resale wise.

For the 90's both caddy and lincoln sucked. As lincoln sits right now its just starting to regain its status as a luxury line up. Before it was more classed with Buick. For caddy they are moving in a better direction and the only platforms they share are xlr with the vette and escalade. The rest are sigma based and cant be hand in any other division.

GM shares platforms and ford does as well, no use debating it. Its just when it comes to luxury cars like i said earlier they lose value if their is a 22k dollar base model as a ford compared to the 58k dollar luxury lincoln version.

Ford has made pleanty of crap products in its day escourt just to name one

I am not debating manufactures just the two cars. Town Car and Deville. Both ford and GM have their problems, GM just has less :N

Also it is prob not wise to post your phone number since i am likely to get drunk and prank you at 3am :N :give

both cars are good , you have your reason and we have ours.

Ahhh.. . but you're forgetting the '00-'05 LED tail lights in the caddy, designed by HP. :wrench
LOL.. .seriously though. Lincoln and Cadillac are, quite obviously, two different classes of car.

Magnetic ride control?.. . not all of the Devilles have it so I don't share the potential BS, he's talking about.

I don't go by manufacturer, I go by what I like at the time. I love my '03 GM Caddy, but I will never forget the lame GM BullSh*t from the 70's to mid 80's... self destructing interiors, troublesome digital dashes, wobbly side windows, disintegrating poly body panels (ie: the caddy tail extensions), and lets not ever forget... the cheap-ass door hinges used on Buicks to Cameros which led to that sagging door crap!! :Bang Lincolns and Fords had equally heavy doors and had NO sagging problems at all! *owned*

My 85 Mark VII has poly panels that are still as pliable as when new. Show me an '85 GM vehicle that can bost the same?

Aw, well, that's my years of observation. But I think GM has corrected many of these problems over the years and I like many of their new products.

Cheers,

Awesund said:
Ahhh.. . but you're forgetting the '00-'05 LED tail lights in the caddy, designed by HP. :wrench
LOL.. .seriously though. Lincoln and Cadillac are, quite obviously, two different classes of car.

Magnetic ride control?.. . not all of the Devilles have it so I don't share the potential BS, he's talking about.

I don't go by manufacturer, I go by what I like at the time. I love my '03 GM Caddy, but I will never forget the lame GM BullSh*t from the 70's to mid 80's... self destructing interiors, troublesome digital dashes, wobbly side windows, disintegrating poly body panels (ie: the caddy tail extensions), and lets not ever forget... the cheap-ass door hinges used on Buicks to Cameros which led to that sagging door crap!! :Bang Lincolns and Fords had equally heavy doors and had NO sagging problems at all! *owned*

My 85 Mark VII has poly panels that are still as pliable as when new. Show me an '85 GM vehicle that can bost the same?

Aw, well, that's my years of observation. But I think GM has corrected many of these problems over the years and I like many of their new products.

Cheers,

I agree with you, i tend to like GM cars more since i know more about them, however if a manufactuer makes a car i like i buy it. Brand loyalty is dumb these days since no matter what you buy its from canada or mexico and it is going to have problems.

Right now i am looking at a Lincoln LS V8 sport.

Members online

No members online now.
Back