2000 LS PATs/PCM/Key issue?? plus dealership nightmare

The stock alt on the gen I was not meant to handle an electric fan therefore the vehicle was designed with a hydraulic fan. I suspect that fan is drawing too much power. A higher output alt could fix the issue.

did you remove the wires that are comming out of the fuse box. also take a pick of the fan or where the other end if where tthat wire ends, you may need to get a new fan and hopefully they didnt remove the other components that you need to get the oem fan working again.

nah, i mean i dont wanna remove the wire and have the fan stop working and my engine overheat or whatever...?

ill try to see if i can snap some viewable pics, the light under my hood doesnt work and its dark out now...

Do you have an extra 12v battery laying around? You could wire the fan straight to it and see if the electrical gremlins go away.

There was no factory underhood illumination. Lincoln owners "aren't supposed" to do their own work.......

for a moment i was pissed, like i forgot about my 1st gen not having one, and for some reason they took it off for the 2ng gen.

one of the many things that really bothers me about the car, i mean come on, you cant give me a damn light under my hood. i dont know about any of you guys, but my hood is open way to long/often for there not to be a light. 500+ changes between generations, and that didn't cross anybody's mind?

sorry for the rant, but it was really a pain in the @ss the other night trying to check the oil level while filling up the other night.

for a moment i was pissed, like i forgot about my 1st gen not having one, and for some reason they took it off for the 2ng gen.

one of the many things that really bothers me about the car, i mean come on, you cant give me a damn light under my hood. i dont know about any of you guys, but my hood is open way to long/often for there not to be a light. 500+ changes between generations, and that didn't cross anybody's mind?

sorry for the rant, but it was really a pain in the @ss the other night trying to check the oil level while filling up the other night.

Like I said..... You own a LINCOLN. You're NOT SUPPOSED TO OPEN THE HOOD! That's why the OM says to see the dealer to replace the tail light bulbs.

well if they are going to give me the tools to change a tire, then they also should give me the help to change a fuse on the side of the road.

which i could at least see at night to change a tail light bulb on the side of the road if i had to.

i mean, i do own a Lincoln, its gonna need some work! even if im not the one under the hood, it would be nice if the guy i call out when it breaks down can see a little, he might be able to fix a small or slight problem instead of having to tow me to the dealer for service some random place in the morning when they open up.

the manual doesn't tell you to take the car to the dealer to add wiper fluid.

wait i just re read this but did the dealer leave your car outside with the key on and you just drove away with it without paying. take the car to another machanic in here there is a thread about how to convert the gen1 to electric and follow that, i wonder is the gen2 alt has a higher output then the gen1 and can you use a gen2 alt on a gen1 if so you can grab one at the local junk yard for less than $100 and install that and find a way to tap into the power withough going into the fuse box.....this maybe the most cost effective way to fix your issue.

Sucks when you have a car with all the electrical doo dads and someone hooks something up wrong. My last car my Bonneville (lotta electrical doo dads for its time) had someone install HID's for cheap. A month later they don't work and shorted out two fuel pumps. I agree with the others you need to find a mechanic who knows their stuff with servicing car electronics. Good luck man, hopefully you get this figured out and you can enjoy your car for a little.

wait i just re read this but did the dealer leave your car outside with the key on and you just drove away with it without paying.

Why would you pay for a stealership to not fix the problem? Chit I would be pissed that they left my ride outside with the window down. Thats a couple of free oil changes right there IMO.

Why would you pay for a stealership to not fix the problem? Chit I would be pissed that they left my ride outside with the window down. Thats a couple of free oil changes right there IMO.

Wait...they left it outside, window down and RUNNING!? :eek: I would have told them I didn't pick up the car and had them scrambling to find it! LOL!

yup i would of done that same thing, DUDE WHERES MY CAR lol.... atleast a used WORKING car out of it lol. or like phily0420 said some free oil changes lol

yes you read correctly car running, windows down, no one around, doors to the service area locked...i had paid for them to reprogram and cut/program a second key prior to all this...

quick update checked the pcm relay again and noticed some minor corrosion on the prongs, popped a new one in and no issues since (crossing my fingers)

one new thing ive noticed to add to the list of electrical issues:

driving home tonight turned the heat on and noticed that the heater fan kicks on and the headlights dim a bit and the car feels like it loses some power for a split second and then its fine almost like the heater fan gets stronger while the lights dim/weaken...this will happen periodically as long as the heat is on, turn the heat off and there is no issue...assuming its another issue caused by ghetto "custom" work done to the car by the previous owner...lol

as far as feeling bad for me or me enjoying the car dont feel too bad, i have actually enjoyed the car so far gotten some compliments(LOL) etc. had it about a week and got it for super cheap...guy was asking $2500 ended up driving the car away for $1100. the previous owners def didnt treat it like it deserved to be treated and its kind of quirky, but hasnt left me stranded yet and it rides super smooth on the road. i feel like once i get the electrical kinks worked out it will be a quality ride again and then i can address some of the cosmetics. all the issues so far have been intermittent and at the very least it will be a fun car for the summer.

just get a more powerfull alt so it can handle the extra stuff you have mainly the fan.

yeah im basically planning on doing this i just need some suggestions/guidance on what alt i should be buying? going to autozone tomorrow and just need to know what i should be asking for? like i said i basically know jack sh*t about mechanics, i could do very basic stuff to my prior cars but just looking under the hood of this thing gives me a headache.

thankfully i have a few friends/family members that are certified mechanics but its just a matter of motivating them to get off their asses to help me lol.

do i just ask the guy at autozone to price me out the most powerful alternator that fits a 2000 LS or should i just be purchasing a 2nd gen alternator or pulling one from a scrap yard?

if anyone has a link to a proper aftermarket alternator could you post it here or PM me?

lol ok so can someone tell me WTF this connection is supposed to go to?

was just nosing around and came across a connection that felt like it was just dangling so i gently pull it and here it is

ummm?

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0013-3.jpg

Stretch it around and see what connection lines up with it.

Why would they leave your car running with the windows down and no one around, it could've been stolen, idiots

Members online

No members online now.
Back