2000 Lincoln LS V8 Problems

So basically your saying ignore the beep, and just drive it!!! What your saying is this is a common problem, but not to woory.... Sounds good

My car finally has realized an error on the message board. I was accelorating and the car stalled but this time something diffrent happened. Instead of just giving me nothing, it told me E, check transmission. Date error with gear select or somthing similar. As of now, the check transmission light is on. I don't want to take it in to get serviced and have it out another week on Christmas. Now does anyone have any information?

fluid color

Lucas05 3 said:
Alright, I own a 2000 Lincoln LS with a V8 and it has been giving me problems ever since I purchases it. The problem as of now is the transmission I believe. When I put it into Reverse, it has a long delay before jumping back, and I mean jumping. Then when coming up a hill it switched to a lower gear to get more punch and when it punched, it stalled. The engine basically shut off for a couple seconds. It is also leaking a red fluid under the left portion of the front. I believe it is either transmission fluid or power steering. It is going into the shop for it's 100th time and will probably be there for another week. I would love to hear from you guys on your opinions.

the fluid is probably trans fluid. i have the same problem when im going up a hill. it shifts up though.???????????? im going to have my tranmission flushed tomorrow. ill be sure to post a "heads up" on what happened so you may have a better idea on what to do. i also had my pcm flashed 2 days ago. that helped alot!

Just out of curiosity... but the manual doesn't say anything about weather the car should be running or not to check the fluid level, does it? I read it a while back, and the only reason I did is my car when going into reverse from a cold start, kinda forgets what it's doing... then it hooks up. Fortunately driveability isn't an issue, and it shifts well. It only does this when you first start it up, and back out of the garage or parking space.

I'm sure you know from playing with regular cars that the procedure is to check the fluid with teh car warmed up, in park, with the engine running, but only after you manually select each valve body detent for a second or so. It's possible Ford overlooked this little detail in printing the "dumbed down" version of the service manual that they stuff in the glove box. Can't say as I blame them though, cause you know some idiot would drive over himself... Anybody else think of this or know the answer?

Kleetus

'00 LS V8 Sport

yes u have to check the trens in park while the car is running. if you have to and any fuild,add it then run though the gears and check it again

The trans fluid level is a dealer check item. As you should have noticed, there is no dipstick.

There are two ways of filling and neither is gravity fed. They have to go throught the drain plug or through the transmission cooling lines. Do not take your car to a transmission shop or a ford dealer for the matter; only use the Lincoln delaers service shop

i have the exact same car and the trick with reverse is to wait until the rpms read a hair under 1000 rpms. as soon as it drops (after you start the car) to like 900 rpms shift to reverse . it should go smoothly and give you no problems. its always important that you let your vehicle sufficiently warm up before shifting gears. you may also experience problems shifting on any slant you may park on. also if my car has been warming up for a good 7 0r 8 minutes i have no problem shifting.

Yet it still stalls out on me. :( I guess I will have to let them look at it and keep it for 2 weeks and tell me there is no problem when I take it in to get my A/C Replaced. Theres no one here with transmission knowledge that can tell me problems it may be?

I let my car idle down before I depart i any gear.

What happened to the A/C. Mine started blowing fuses like crazy a few months ago; I wound up replacing the compressor and clutch coil all in one shot. I dont remember if you said you car is under warranty but if it isn't you owe to yourself to buy the parts from 5 star ford.

eL eS said:
I let my car idle down before I depart i any gear.

What happened to the A/C. Mine started blowing fuses like crazy a few months ago; I wound up replacing the compressor and clutch coil all in one shot. I dont remember if you said you car is under warranty but if it isn't you owe to yourself to buy the parts from 5 star ford.

No, it's not under warranty. The A/C is simply just old and needs replaced.

What is this I hear about a transmission recall. It was somthing about replacing or adding in a new liquid that decompressed the bad gear shifts?

hey Lucas did your dealer guy ever sort this out? any updates? i am considering getting a '00 LS V8 myself from a private owner and am making a list of "trouble spots" various users have talked about on LS forums, in person etc. sounds like your car was a lemon when you bought it - that's quite unfortunate as i haven't heard of these extreme problems so soon, even five years after purchase. automatic transmissions are a bitch to work with so best of luck and here's hoping you didn't have to have it replaced or any major work done.

Charging problems

[ I have a Lincoln LS V8 and I am having problems with the charging system when I am driving the car will shut down and will not start back up I tool the car into the dealer and the check it and said it was the computer and they replace it but the same thing happen again and this time they said it was the battery so I replaced that and it happen again the car shut off and if I get a jump it will start back up but when I continue to drive it the lights goes off first then the radio then the car shuts off. If someone could help me with this matter. Than you

Article No. 01-14-5

07/23/01

TRANSMISSION - 5R55N - DELAYED REVERSE OR
DRIVE ENGAGEMENTS - HARSH UPSHIFTS OR
DOWNSHIFTS - ERRATIC UPSHIFTS - DELAYED
DOWNSHIFTS NEAR 20 MPH - VEHICLES BUILT
BEFORE 10/17/2000

LINCOLN:
2000-2001 LS

This article is being republished in its entirety to include additional calibrations and to update the build date range.

ISSUE

Some vehicles built prior to 10/17/2000 with the 5R55N transmission may exhibit delayed Reverse or Drive engagements, harsh upshifts or downshifts, erratic upshifts, or delayed downshifts near 32 km/h (20 mph). This may be caused by the calibration of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

ACTION

Follow normal diagnostic procedures and verify the condition. If the condition is valid, reprogram the PCM to latest calibration level. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

As for the red fluid that sounds like brake fluid to me. Have you check the brake fluid level? Start there and then work your way back. Normally about 90% of your problems are corrected with the PCM re-flash so let them do that first. Remember, ONLY the dealer can do that.

Let us know how you make out.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like something in the steering column went on the fritz... don't ask me what.

anytime

Get a cheap (under $20) voltage meter from Walmart and watch the voltage as the car dies. If its a short or loose connection the voltage will just die, but if the voltage drops from 14 to 9volts get the alternator checked.

If the engine is running and the voltage is below 13.5v (without every accessory and a large sound system on) the alternator isn't working correctly.

The battery won't cause the car to die off repetedly, it's a secondary problem caused by a charging system problem. You should be able to remove the battery from the car once the engine is running without the car shutting off.

It sounds like the voltage is dropping if the lights go off , then the radio, then the car.

The same thing happened to me when my alternator died. The dealer changed my battery right before I purchased the car and their diagnostic didn't show a bad alternator either.

Lucas05 3 said:
I recently have encountered the phantom beep. This is frustrating me so much.

It might be that your airbag sensor needs to be reset thats what lincoln told me my car had.
hope that helps

Thanks
Mjmendez78

response

Lucas05 3 said:
Alright, I own a 2000 Lincoln LS with a V8 and it has been giving me problems ever since I purchases it. The problem as of now is the transmission I believe. When I put it into Reverse, it has a long delay before jumping back, and I mean jumping. Then when coming up a hill it switched to a lower gear to get more punch and when it punched, it stalled. The engine basically shut off for a couple seconds. It is also leaking a red fluid under the left portion of the front. I believe it is either transmission fluid or power steering. It is going into the shop for it's 100th time and will probably be there for another week. I would love to hear from you guys on your opinions.

My 2000 LS V8 was doing the same thing and I had my trusty mechanic check the transmission and he found metal paticles in the transmission and that was due to the tranny never being service and the tranny needs to be serviced every 30K miles. My car has 87K and never was service so know the transmission was replaced and the car is running perfect.
hope this helps

Mjmendez78

hey lucas i had the same problem with my airbag just recently and i own a linlcoln ls 2000 also. they said the pigtail had a short in it. so i had them replace it. that cost about 150 dollars. my reverse has the same problems as well. i had the watchamacallit flashed and it still acts up. i find that shifting into reverse at about 900 rpms will give you a perfect transition almost everytime. my car has about 80,000 miles on it. youll find that having the transmission flushed can only be done by the dealership. i still havent done that but i was told that it wouldnt solve my problem anyway. our problem is simple.......we bought nice looking vehicles that were basically prototypes with no quirks worked out of them. i would almost guarantee that if we bought a 2005 or 6 ls we would have no such problems. so enjoy how nice your car looks because what it does to your wallet in the next 2 or 3 years is gonna hurt like hell. i know it has mine. i paid 14,000 for mine almost a year ago and i have since sunk nearly 2000 into it for repairs. that does not count mandatory fluid changes.

limcolnlspimp said:
i know it has mine. i paid 14,000 for mine almost a year ago and i have since sunk nearly 2000 into it for repairs. that does not count mandatory fluid changes.

Off topic, but did you get your work done at Ted Russel on KP? I think I met you there when you just received the quote. ??? I was picking up valve cover gaskets at the time.

lsbit said:
Off topic, but did you get your work done at Ted Russel on KP? I think I met you there when you just received the quote. ??? I was picking up valve cover gaskets at the time.
Guys, Guys! Take your LS to Neill-Sandler FLM and see Jimmy Cox. He is the service manager there and is fantastic to work with. Just tell him I sent ya! :Beer

Ok, my lincoln ls 2000 is having some of these same problems you guys have listed. I replaced the transmission a year ago and it ran fine for about 4 months, then started to have problems, I thought it was the transmission again but when I took it in there they sad that is was the engine misfiring. I had all the spark plugs replaced which didn't solve the problem; the trouble code keeps pulling up bad coil packs, I change them and have problems the day I get the car back. My check engine light will come on for a day or so and then turn off for a while and come back on. Meanwhile my car still hesitates all the while. I am getting fed up with taking it in, getting it back to have the same problems over and over again. It also has the hesitation when I put it in to gear. How many lincoln ls 2000's are having this problem, and if so many can someone tell me if there is a recall for something on the car? Any advice or suggestions would help. Thanks

ls2000j said:
Ok, my lincoln ls 2000 is having some of these same problems you guys have listed. I replaced the transmission a year ago and it ran fine for about 4 months, then started to have problems, I thought it was the transmission again but when I took it in there they sad that is was the engine misfiring. I had all the spark plugs replaced which didn't solve the problem; the trouble code keeps pulling up bad coil packs, I change them and have problems the day I get the car back. My check engine light will come on for a day or so and then turn off for a while and come back on. Meanwhile my car still hesitates all the while. I am getting fed up with taking it in, getting it back to have the same problems over and over again. It also has the hesitation when I put it in to gear. How many lincoln ls 2000's are having this problem, and if so many can someone tell me if there is a recall for something on the car? Any advice or suggestions would help. Thanks

make the car disappear......... :wrench take the insurance payoff (hopefully you have GAP) and go get a new one....

Members online

No members online now.
Back