2000 Lincoln LS V8 Problems

Well if the tranny you put in has the old unupdated solenoid pack and valve body it is entirely possible that that is the problem. The istallers might have info on the build date and such of the tranny and possibly tell if you do have the older parts.

I went through 3 solenoid packs and 1 valve body all has been well since then but I know that the parts were from the update generation.

LS engine hesitation

ls2000j said:
Ok, my lincoln ls 2000 is having some of these same problems you guys have listed. I replaced the transmission a year ago and it ran fine for about 4 months, then started to have problems, I thought it was the transmission again but when I took it in there they sad that is was the engine misfiring. I had all the spark plugs replaced which didn't solve the problem; the trouble code keeps pulling up bad coil packs, I change them and have problems the day I get the car back. My check engine light will come on for a day or so and then turn off for a while and come back on. Meanwhile my car still hesitates all the while. I am getting fed up with taking it in, getting it back to have the same problems over and over again. It also has the hesitation when I put it in to gear. How many lincoln ls 2000's are having this problem, and if so many can someone tell me if there is a recall for something on the car? Any advice or suggestions would help. Thanks

You're not alone. I have a 2000 LS Sport that's been problematic since the day I bought it. My current issue is that the car does not exhibit smooth acceleration under or near full throttle. In some cases after running at highway speeds for awhile, the engine will stall under half to full throttle. Some coils and spark plugs have been replaced, and a cam positioning sensor by Ford but after $800 the problem still persists. What's worse is that the problem is intermittent. My city mileage has been a consistent at 18 MPG--so I'm not convinced that the plugs and coils are the source of the problem. The problem began with a quick lube service somehow fouled some spark plugs and coils. After the oil change, The car would hardly run. Fords had a couple attempts to get it right; but like you I'm fed up. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I HAVE A 2000 LS V6 AND IT'S BEEN GIVING ME PROBLEMS. I BOUGHT IT AT ABOUT 25,000 AND I STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS LIKE THE CAR WOULDN'T START. THEN MAYBE A FEW HOURS LATER IT WOULD START UP LIKE IT'S BRAND NEW. NOW AT 42,800 THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING MORE OFTEN. I'VE TAKEN TO THE DEALERSHIP NUMEROUS TIMES AND I'M TOLD EVERYTHING'S FINE, BUT STILL GET A BILL AND THE PROBLEMS STILL GO ON. THE ALARM STARTED COMING ON AROUND THE SAME TIME EVERDAY, AFTER I TOOK TO DEALERSHIP. MOST RECENTLY AFTER I SUSPECTED IT MIGHT BE THE FACTORY ALARM SHUTTING THE FUEL PUMP OFF AND THE TRUNK SENSORS MIGHT BE WHAT'S CAUSING THE FUEL PUMP TO SHUT OFF. I WAS ABLE TO GET THE CAR TO START AFTER PUSHING TRUNK SENSOR UP, BUT AS SOON AS I CLOSED THE TRUNK, THE CAR SHUTS OFF. I POINTED THIS OUT TO THE DEALERSHIP AND GAVE A DEMO. THEY TOLD ME IT WAS FAULTY WIRING AND THE PROBLEM WOULD BE FIXED. THAT WAS LAST MONDAY AND $200 AGO AND IT'S STILL DOING THE SAME THING. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP. I TOO HAVE TAKEN THE CAR TO SHOP SEVERAL TIMES AND I KEEP BEING TOLD EVERYTHING'S FINE. argue2

jrmb24 said:
I HAVE A 2000 LS V6 AND IT'S BEEN GIVING ME PROBLEMS. I BOUGHT IT AT ABOUT 25,000 AND I STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS LIKE THE CAR WOULDN'T START. THEN MAYBE A FEW HOURS LATER IT WOULD START UP LIKE IT'S BRAND NEW. NOW AT 42,800 THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING MORE OFTEN. I'VE TAKEN TO THE DEALERSHIP NUMEROUS TIMES AND I'M TOLD EVERYTHING'S FINE, BUT STILL GET A BILL AND THE PROBLEMS STILL GO ON. THE ALARM STARTED COMING ON AROUND THE SAME TIME EVERDAY, AFTER I TOOK TO DEALERSHIP. MOST RECENTLY AFTER I SUSPECTED IT MIGHT BE THE FACTORY ALARM SHUTTING THE FUEL PUMP OFF AND THE TRUNK SENSORS MIGHT BE WHAT'S CAUSING THE FUEL PUMP TO SHUT OFF. I WAS ABLE TO GET THE CAR TO START AFTER PUSHING TRUNK SENSOR UP, BUT AS SOON AS I CLOSED THE TRUNK, THE CAR SHUTS OFF. I POINTED THIS OUT TO THE DEALERSHIP AND GAVE A DEMO. THEY TOLD ME IT WAS FAULTY WIRING AND THE PROBLEM WOULD BE FIXED. THAT WAS LAST MONDAY AND $200 AGO AND IT'S STILL DOING THE SAME THING. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP. I TOO HAVE TAKEN THE CAR TO SHOP SEVERAL TIMES AND I KEEP BEING TOLD EVERYTHING'S FINE. argue2

I have 00 LSV6 and had a problem with the car just shutting down randomly si this happening to you?

Well, this Transmission problem sounds like a very typical problem for "alot" of 2000 owners. About 2 months ago I started having a cutting out under partial accelleration and it has developed into a severe bog and engine shut off when trying to pass on the highway or accelerate around town. (Worse when the car gets warmed up) I took it to the dealer and they said it was misfiring because of bad coils, although it hadn't coded at all and the car wasnt missing, just boggin down under acceleration. Well after checking the internet and seeing all of the problems with the valve cover gaskets and the coil issue, I went ahead and changed the Valve cover gaskets, plugs and coil packs and it is no different. Then they said Mass Air sensor voltage didnt look right, so I changed it too. Still no difference!!!

I was just telling my wife tonight that I think the cutting out is related to the transmission and possibly the rev limiter on the car. So I started to search the net for LS and tranny problems. Well we are not alone!

My car acts as if the tranny is slipping and somehow engaging the rev limiter, then it floods itself and cuts out. (If you rev the car in park it will act the same way at 3000 rpm.) When I crank the car back up, it has run very poorly and actually produced a code. However, in order to clear it up to get the car to make it home, I disconnected the battery and let the computer reset and it will start and run fine and the codes are erased.

Well, while searching the internet today I have found numerous, numerous, numerous people with the same problem, but no definitive cure although I do believe the problem is definetly tranny related. My car doesnt miss a lick, and it pulls hard, when the it is cool and the problem isnt occurring. Well I guess after what I have read, I am simply going to have the fluid flushed and the pcm flashed to the newest updates and go trade it back to the dealer while the car is cooled off and not slipping. (Before I get stuck with paying $3,700 for a new tranny)

By the way my car only has 41,000 on it and has been out of warranty for 6 months. It was great until a few months ago and now I have been getting all of the common 2000 LS problems. The Dealers are making alot of money off of misdiagnosing these cars and there are far to many people that have spent thousands and still have the exact same problems they started with.

Sorry for the wordy post.

Hello Chip,

This stuff can be frustrating, especially at the low mileage you are at. I think I am going to suggest to people to buy '00s with more than 65,000 miles on it so they know the problems have been fixed already. :)

Are you sure you not running into the infamous fuel pump/rear computer issue that others have run across? It sure does sound like it is starving for fuel.

Also, that 3000 revving in park thing is normal for our cars. It has a rev limiter that kicks in when in neutral/park at the rpm.

I would get a fuel pressure gauge that you can mount where you can see it while driving to see if the pressure drops off under accel.

Let us know what you find and good luck!

Well, LSBIT you may be right about the fuel thing, I am not sure. The car is running very smooth and no longer missing since the new coil packs, etc... but occasionally the car wants to stumble on its face when accelerating quickly. My only question about the fuel system problem is, do you know if it is an intermittent problem? The car runs great most of the time and sometimes and you can floor it and run it up to 100 with no problem over and over with no problem, then out of nowhere it will stumble on a light under quick acceleration and bog down and die. It is starting to get to the point that when it dies, you have to sit there for 2 or 3 minutes before it will start again or get out and disconncet the mass air sensor and it will fire right up.

I haven't seen alot of info on the fuel problem so I am not sure what other people symptoms are. I have a fuel pressure gauge so I will test the theory and see what I find out. Do you know what fuel pressures are normal?

Thanks for the info.

There is a rear control module that can go bad along with the fuel pumps. I have heard of it being intermittent before, and it might have been someone on this forum. I know "El Es" has had this problem and had it fixed, so you can search for that. I am not sure what the FP is supposed to be. On a return system, it is around 45 psi, but these are return-less. I would check readings when it is driving normally and you should see an obvious drop in FP when it gives you the problem.

Still have the problem!!! I just got the car back from the dealer today after a Trans flush and a reflash of the computer with all applicable updates. When I picked it up tonight, after close, the advance track light is now flashing constantly, but it seemed to run and shift better. Good right? Wrong, that wasonly until it warmed up and I accelerated to half throttle and it bogged down again. Tried it several more times on the way home down side streets and it bogged down and shut off, just as before. Smells really bad when it does. Convertors must be getting flooded.

OK here is what I have changed and the 2000 lS Sport V8 is still pathetic!

All 8 coil packs
2 Valve cover gaskets
Mass Air sensor
Update computer
Trans Flush
All Spark Plugs (Motorcraft)

P.S. Dealer said the computer is not holding any codes! They haven't driven the car yet and dont understand what I am telling them. I will make them drive it tomorrow! Let them stall in traffic and have to sit there and see if they take a little more interest.

The car drives so good at a very light throttle you just can't give it gas, once it is warmed up. That is why I dont believe it to be fuel pump issues as it only occurs once it is heated up.

I will keep you updated incase you are having the same problem. It sure seems like plenty of us are.

Chip Kooser said:
The car drives so good at a very light throttle you just can't give it gas, once it is warmed up. That is why I dont believe it to be fuel pump issues as it only occurs once it is heated up.

I will keep you updated incase you are having the same problem. It sure seems like plenty of us are.

Part throttle uses less fuel and fuel pumps act up more when they get hot as do a lot of electrical components. Fuel VOLUME may be lacking which could be the control circuit to the pump or the pump itself. You could always have clogged converters or something too. Nothing smells worse than a lean burn. You should smell it with a supercharger. It's like you can smell the metal melting. :)

hey chip im a ford master tech and also an 02 ls owner. i have to go to werk now. i will help u with yer problem when i get back.

ok i have some extra time here at werk. im curious in wether u have this problem at 1/4 tank or less. as u know the LS fuel tank is split with a FDM (fuel delivery module.. aka fuel pump) on the rightside and a JPM (jet pump module)on the left. we are having problems with the jet pump not supplying the primary fuel pump with fuel. so when your gas gauge is reading around a 1/4 tank the right side is actually pretty much empty and the left has all the fuel in it. there is an updated part # for both of these that need to be replaced at the same time. by the sounds of your complaint especially stalling at heavy throttle. there isnt much it could be except a fuel starving problem.

just burn it to the ground and collect insurance on it. im about to do the same to mine. im thru f__king with it. dont get me wrong its a beautiful car but the more you drive them the more they mess up. so just burn it. youll get more out of it that way than you wiill from the dealership on a trade in. sorry but thats the way i feel after putting more money into it than i have paid off on it.

i have a 2000 lincoln ls with the v8 and when i start it there is a loud noise like its back fireing into the intake or something is bounceing in the intake any idea what it could be:confused:

LS Troubles

ok i have some extra time here at werk. im curious in wether u have this problem at 1/4 tank or less. as u know the LS fuel tank is split with a FDM (fuel delivery module.. aka fuel pump) on the rightside and a JPM (jet pump module)on the left. we are having problems with the jet pump not supplying the primary fuel pump with fuel. so when your gas gauge is reading around a 1/4 tank the right side is actually pretty much empty and the left has all the fuel in it. there is an updated part # for both of these that need to be replaced at the same time. by the sounds of your complaint especially stalling at heavy throttle. there isnt much it could be except a fuel starving problem.

If you are still out there...... (I know this is an old post) I too could use some advise on my 2000 LS V8 that's acting up. It's been suffering from allot of the same maladies as has been described in this thread. The worst of which is the bogging out and stalling upon acceleration and the subsequent hard starting. Mine too displays "CHECK TRANSMISSION" (with no related codes set) sometimes when this occurs, among other trans related messages. I have not paid attention to the fuel level when it stalls out but I will and will let you know if that seems to be the case. The car has around 150k on it now and runs good otherwise. I left a Ford dealer back in 95 and now work for a utility fleet (mostly GM) so haven't had much experience on this new of a Ford/Lincoln vehicle.

2000 ls v8 trans flashes E will not shift past 3rd gear

I'm having trouble with my trans. after I drive a mile or so, the trans flashes E and it will not shift past 3rd. I can restart the engine and it will work fine untill I either come to a stop or slow down.

I'm having trouble with my trans. after I drive a mile or so, the trans flashes E and it will not shift past 3rd. I can restart the engine and it will work fine untill I either come to a stop or slow down.

You have two basic choices.

1. Keep driving like that for a while longer and the diagnosis will be simple. Rebuild or replace entire transmission.

2. Stop messing around and get the Ford specific OBDII transmission codes read and proceed from there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back