1996 LSC $600, someone better move fast

dang, nice find...I could use that...I've got some friends up there...maybe I can get it somehow

Oh cmon you guys have no faith, throw in a used engine, coil conversion, clean it up and keep it going!

Oh cmon you guys have no faith, throw in a used engine,

Might not need it. Maybe...

coil conversion,

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:Bang:runaway:

clean it up and keep it going!

That could work.

At least the wheels are on right :D And it says it has a "blown head gasket". It could be something simple. Might be worth fixing up. Too bad I"m so far away (and broke:D).

I'd just fix the head gasket, if that's what it was and fix the cancer it has and keep it on the road. If the interior is trashed, then possibly part it but the only real money setting there is headlight housings, grille, corner lenses and maybe a couple of other things like the ECU, VLCM/VRCM, w/e people wanna call it. Other than that, everything else is cheap on eBay and coming from Washington DC, it might be a lil rusty. All depends on how it has been taken care of over the years. By the looks of the housings and grille, it appears it may have been garage kept but then the clear coat flaking changes my mind on that theory.

Shave the heads. Get new head gaskets. Done and done. Used to do it all the time back in the good ol' days :D Still easier to just replace the whole engine as a unit than to fix the heads though.

I'd just fix the head gasket, if that's what it was and fix the cancer it has and keep it on the road. If the interior is trashed, then possibly part it but the only real money setting there is headlight housings, grille, corner lenses and maybe a couple of other things like the ECU, VLCM/VRCM, w/e people wanna call it. Other than that, everything else is cheap on eBay and coming from Washington DC, it might be a lil rusty. All depends on how it has been taken care of over the years. By the looks of the housings and grille, it appears it may have been garage kept but then the clear coat flaking changes my mind on that theory.

Rust in DC? Do they really have much for winters there? I've been there in late winter or early spring and it was in the 80s

Shave the heads. Get new head gaskets. Done and done. Used to do it all the time back in the good ol' days :D Still easier to just replace the whole engine as a unit than to fix the heads though.

Yeah the machine work for milling the head would probably be close to the cost of just buying a used running engine, but correct me if I'm wrong but by milling one head it would change the compression ratio on that bank of the engine? and then you'd have to take off an equal amount on the other side..then of course youd still have to deal with the rest of the labor involved in disassembling and reassembling the engine.

Yep. Can't shave one head without doing the same to the other (well you can, but I don't recommend it). And it would bump the compression slightly depending on how much material you took off. We used to do a standard .015" shave. That would do the trick in most cases. And the compression bump would be minimal but sometimes noticeable:D

But either way you look at it, with these engines it would be a lot cheaper just to drop in a good used running engine.

Rust in DC? Do they really have much for winters there? I've been there in late winter or early spring and it was in the 80s

One winter in about every 8 is bad. We have had 3 inches of snow total in a little over 2 years.

Who says it has a blown head gasket? The owner? Why assume he knows what he is talking about? I would go look at the car and start it. I would check the exhaust for odor. I would check the coolant. I would check the oil and the oil cap for film.

I would NEVER assume it has a blown head gasket just because the owner say it overheats. These engines aren't known for blown head gaskets. It might just need the cooling system bled.

Who says it has a blown head gasket? The owner? Why assume he knows what he is talking about? I would go look at the car and start it. I would check the exhaust for odor. I would check the coolant. I would check the oil and the oil cap for film.

I would NEVER assume it has a blown head gasket just because the owner say it overheats. These engines aren't known for blown head gaskets. It might just need the cooling system bled.

And with the seller being named Charlene, the point is even more valid.

It probably just needs a motorcraft thermostat put in it.

Right, that's a huge one because the auto parts store is more than happy to sell you a thermostat with too small of an orifice, and the system will NEVER bleed. Stant makes an acceptable one too which is also sold under the Napa brand. I forget the number, but it is what I am using.

I'd fix & save. It's a BoB 1st Gen LSC.

That's what's I'm saying! On the plus side it looks like its got a good rear window seal..get a maaco job on the roof, trunk and rear bumper..the rest of the paint looks like it could be saved.

My '96 used to overheat a lot. Until I learned how to properly burp it and got a 160 degree Mustang Cobra thermostat. After that, she ran perfectly normal all the time. Even a little on the cool side :)

My '96 used to overheat a lot. Until I learned how to properly burp it and got a 160 degree Mustang Cobra thermostat. After that, she ran perfectly normal all the time. Even a little on the cool side :)

160 seems rather cool. I use a 180 and my code reader says it is running at 175 on the highway. It runs about in the "O" on "NORMAL", maybe slightly towards the "R".

BoB stands for black on black? From what I can tell the inside is cream, tan or grey. Not black. If you look through the rear windshield it's defiantly not black from the inside.

Members online

No members online now.
Back