13's how do i get there?

I don't see anyone bashing you....just good info.

The only point I was trying to make is decide what you want to do with the car.
Daily driver.....street/strip etc.

Not how fast you want it...... it will never be fast enough :)
Just my 2cents

I don't think anyone was bashing you. Like said above its hard to get a bolt on street use mark to run 13s consistantly. Now your also talking about a gen 2. I have no experince with gen 1s but from what I've read here. Mine is one of the faster gen 2s with only bolt ons. Runs high 13-low 14 with a full day at the track. Similar to what driller said about certaim mods I found several mods that resulted in no gains. For a street car keep it simple. Stall,gears,shift kit,tires, and a good tune. Imo most everything else is only worth the sticker it comes with.

im not afraid to spend real money just was just asking for advice for parts like w/ my vic it has been shown a set of stage 2 heads and cams some sort of xhaust and 3:73's will get you in the 13's with a good tune people are shooting for 12's w/ built motors and the new trickflow 2v heads i assumed it being more powerful to begin with and lighter it would be easier no im not expecting 2 bolt on pieces but i would thing some head work cams stall and gears should get me somewhere in that are correct? why is everyone bashing me i asked an open ended question i didnt make assumptions other than it was possible i didnt say it was easy for that matter but at the same time im not interested in blowing 35k into a 13 year old car to get 2-3 secs

Kennebell makes a kit for the b heads $3800 6-8 psi puts u in the range of 350-370whp depending on wut other work there is...... but those numbers are on bone stock motor and bolt on the blower with his tune....... buddy ran a cobra motor in his 02 gt vert roll cage stereo system etc weighed in at 3745 with driver
He had a stock engine Eaton blower 4# lower pulley 2600 stall and 3.55s ran a best of 12.3 with 400 and 400 for numbers now he's kennebell and running 11.7 with traction issues........ so a k/b kit on stock engine will get u breaking mid to low 13s with gear of course and tire...... or pull it and build it and run high 12s with a short gear and a good stall with tire

im aware of the kb i am just a bit concerned about boost levels on an unintercooled mark. but that seems to be the route i intend to take maybe try a vortech boost a cooler right b4 the blower.

Just remember 6lbs of boost is about the safe area anything over that and, and worst you will be picking the pieces up off the ground, the best you will seriously reduce the engines life span. The rods and crank are some serious weak links not so much the crank, the cast nodular crank will hold up better with the slower boost spool of an centrifugal blower then a roots. I have seen them hold well over 700BHP...... If you plan on the 12lbs+ range spend the 4K on the engine and be done with it. Then your safe with what ever you decide:D

The fastest proven Marks and Thunderbirds that i have seen are Vortech supercharged. Put more faith in those who can prove what they claim. For a Mark the best I've seen and who I would most like performance advice from is Burbank. If 1/4 mile performance is what your after. Search his posts or threads. Driller and Geno seem to be the best N/A. If you want to keep your air ride with great handling Lazer seems to be the one to talk to.

I don't care what they say, a consistent 13 second N/A Mark VIII is a lot harder to achieve than most people think.

Amen to that! Gen 1s do have an advantage over the Gen2s also when it comes to similar bolt-ons. Currently I run a 14.1 on my Gen2 and it took a 3800 stall, kooks headers/ full exhaust and a tune to get there. Most Gen2s will run a low 14 with stall, gears, and exhaust with a tune. A Gen1 will already be in the high 13s more than likely. That is what I have seen anyways proven over and over again with timeslips. Not just mine, but those posted by others too. Best of luck to you. It took me over $7,000 to get it my car to its current point. Anything is possible with cashola. :D

Amen to that! Gen 1s do have an advantage over the Gen2s also when it comes to similar bolt-ons. Currently I run a 14.1 on my Gen2 and it took a 3800 stall, kooks headers/ full exhaust and a tune to get there. Most Gen2s will run a low 14 with stall, gears, and exhaust with a tune. A Gen1 will already be in the high 13s more than likely. That is what I have seen anyways proven over and over again with timeslips. Not just mine, but those posted by others too. Best of luck to you. It took me over $7,000 to get it my car to its current point. Anything is possible with cashola. :D

like I said 10G will get you there.

like I said 10G will get you there.

That sounds about right too unless I decide to spray it this spring. My buddy has a wet kit to sell me and I have external engine mods to bolt up yet and 4.30 gears to swap in for the 4.10s. I'm hoping to attain mid 13s this spring and a 100 shot should easily net me 12s. I bet I could do it for less. :D

That sounds about right too unless I decide to spray it this spring. My buddy has a wet kit to sell me and I have external engine mods to bolt up yet and 4.30 gears to swap in for the 4.10s. I'm hoping to attain mid 13s this spring and a 100 shot should easily net me 12s. I bet I could do it for less. :D

add at least another 5G for a s/c or turbo...plus the headache of making it work right...for a 4200lb car with a/c, power everything including moonroof...13.8 is enough for me....of course I have a gen1.

13's

As soon as the 3.73's are in, then the dry shot and water/meth injection are next. Infarc says 12's that way.

Mine's got Geno's exhaust, cold air system, 3.73's on the way in, superchip awaiting programs, sensor lowered, 96 HID housings with HID conversions, low/high beams set up to run all four, Geno's hood and wing, new trans, new converter, JVC head unit, tint, LSC bumper covers and paint this spring, remote start.

add at least another 5G for a s/c or turbo...plus the headache of making it work right...for a 4200lb car with a/c, power everything including moonroof...13.8 is enough for me....of course I have a gen1.

Exactly. It adds up quick man. I am trying to go as far as I can N/A. I haven't even decided for sure on the juice yet, but more of a fun every now and then type of deal. As far as I am concerned, problems start arising when you start running big shots and big blowers unless you have properly built everything else to withstand it. My buddy the other day said, " Bah, put a blower on it". Meanwhile his engine is clacking. I just laughed and said, "but mine will see 200K before i consider rebuilding" :D

And BTW ratdog, if my first timeslip next year is a 13.8 I will be happy. :D Other than suspension, I am getting towards the end of the bolt-on session for this car. I'm afraid of what comes after that. A Gen 1? :p

As soon as the 3.73's are in, then the dry shot and water/meth injection are next. Infarc says 12's that way.

Mine's got Geno's exhaust, cold air system, 3.73's on the way in, superchip awaiting programs, sensor lowered, 96 HID housings with HID conversions, low/high beams set up to run all four, Geno's hood and wing, new trans, new converter, JVC head unit, tint, LSC bumper covers and paint this spring, remote start.

Nice!

If your patient it's cheaper to buy one modified than to build one. Plus most that are modified are clean low miles cars.

Copy my setup, it'll probably get in the 13s (at like 130 through the traps. :p ) Probably $8k so far into mine, I'll probably need another $2-3k to finish it up, and if I don't see 600+rwhp I'll eat my hat.

Copy my setup, it'll probably get in the 13s (at like 130 through the traps. :p ) Probably $8k so far into mine, I'll probably need another $2-3k to finish it up, and if I don't see 600+rwhp I'll eat my hat.
130's at the trap in the 13's...do you run the 1/2 mile in New Mexico?

Whats the reason Gen 1's are quicker out of the box???I've never heard that before not saying it isn't true just curious. George

130's at the trap in the 13's...do you run the 1/2 mile in New Mexico?

Heh, bit of an exaggeration, but when the car's done it will probably take some getting used to, I probably won't be able to make friends with traction for awhile.

Whats the reason Gen 1's are quicker out of the box???I've never heard that before not saying it isn't true just curious. George

Stock vs stock the 1st gen intake manifold flows better, and their tunes are more agressive.

Sounds like somebodys cranking the boost up??? How high???

However high a wee little P1SC will go at ~58k rpm. It's the 200 shot on top of it that will do the trick though.

ok.. well I've ultimately decided to go w/ a c head(&intake)swap, and a 4v for the new Vicky when ever i get her.

Yea buy there is always more that needs done. Plus you got to making things the way you what them. In no time at all it's all yours and you see it with the same pride. You just saved a lot of money and you are less likley to have tired of it or given up on it. Plus It's worth closer to what you have in it. I've found the best way to have money is not to spend it. Or at least less than you make.

Yea buy there is always more that needs done. Plus you got to making things the way you what them. In no time at all it's all yours and you see it with the same pride. You just saved a lot of money and you are less likley to have tired of it or given up on it. Plus It's worth closer to what you have in it. I've found the best way to have money is not to spend it. Or at least less than you make.

If Lazer winds up selling his car to someone on this forum it will always be "Lazer's old Mark"...my next car I buy will be done...it won't be a Mark unless it is a Mark VII....I have had time to contemplate my wish list of cars from each decade...in order of preference:

70's: 1. 72 Olds Cutlass Convertible 2. 70 Cadilac Coup De'Ville 3. 73-75 Olds Cutlass 442

80's 1. 84 Cadilac Eldorado 2. 87 Ford TurboCoupe 3. 84-89 Mark VIII

90's 1. Already own 94 Mark VIII 2. Nissan 300ZX

2000's 1. Mercedes 550 CLS 2. Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible (already own)
3. Pontiac G8 (of course with the 6.0)

My Goal is to always have at least one car from each decade. I started with the 70's because that is the era my memory of cars started with...my first memory of a car is my parents 72 Pontiac Lemans.

If Lazer winds up selling his car to someone on this forum it will always be "Lazer's old Mark.

I agree, I hadn't thought about that. For decades I'll include the 60's A 67-69 Cougar GTE or Eliminator. 70's a Trans-Am. 80's a Mark VII, and 90's a Mark VIII.

Members online

No members online now.
Back