12's KICKING DOWN THE DOOR N/A

That was gayer than a bag of dicks.

0e1c90e8_o_rly_owl.jpeg

LOL. This reminds of my 12.8 run. The only time I ever ran down a real drag strip. I took the beast to Mission just to see what she would do and visit my bud who lives nearby.

So I have nearly $12,000 in the motor and suspension. A crate 502 with an annular Holley 800 right out of a friends drag car and 3" pipes all the way back crossed over at the burn. A very strong car but as I said earlier I had not yet got the posi in her and it was a stock rear end at 3.02 if I remember right. All new springs, konis, poly etc etc.

Not a penny on the body or exterior. Not bad looking but really a true sleeper if you did not notice the new springs and Gatorbacks on nice 16' wheels. Another ratty 69 Cutlass.

So I stage, bracket racing actually, and my opponent has a sweet Camero with street slicks and nice paint. Jacked up in the back and he came to race. A nicely prepared car.

We go. He is gone, I am making smoke and I can see my buddy in the stands killing himself laughing at my pitiful launch. I let her get some traction ... finally and we catch and blow by the Camero who really thought it was over long ago. 12.8 108 using 1st and 2nd on the turb 400.

He does not even stop for his timeslip, just drives right around and out the gate and, I guess went home. I guess he was a bit upset. Hurt in the but if you will. ;)

FWIW, you can easily roll a couple tenths or more back on in full street trim (or the equivalent).

I remember back years ago when I ran in the True Street class at Joliet at the NMRA/NMCA. Typically the '93 at that time would run mid-upper 13s in the heat of the summer. We ditched the track tires and wheels for stock wheels front and rear with drag radials and ran with more fuel and typical 'stuff' in the trunk (including the spare and jack). We monitored the weather data closely along with the fuel remaining in the car according to the message center. Fuel level and air pressure in the tires was the only variables we worked with.

The car went consistently 14.0s all weekend.

Nothing artificial, index class racers do it all the time.

I don't think Doug was making a backhanded compliment, he just doesn't want to make a lightened glory run that is not indicative of his cars everyday performance.

Exactly, thank you.

Not saying anything about Frank's run. It's just a game that I don't choose to play (at least not with my LSC).

You have the perfect car

Speaking of backhanded compliments. :rolleyes: Nice that you say that knowing that I have the most hacked up Gen2 towards the top of the list with a hole currently in one of my headers and I've had to replace almost everything twice on the car from a hack job mechanic. But I'm sure you knew none of that when you made that compliment. Thanks Kirk.

Speaking of backhanded compliments. :rolleyes: Nice that you say that knowing that I have the most hacked up Gen2 towards the top of the list with a hole currently in one of my headers and I've had to replace almost everything twice on the car from a hack job mechanic. But I'm sure you knew none of that when you made that compliment. Thanks Kirk.

Perfect car as in same mods, gears, tune, headers, stall convertor.
Any thing you "gut" you can put back in the car.
I never called your car hacked up.
I don't think Franks car is hacked up.

Its one fast ass gen 1
Holds the N/A record, its that simple.

Nice backhanded complement,
So the the jack and spare are OK to take out, but everything else stays?
Do we call this the DLF rule?
Frank did nothing artificial IMHO.

The only one that mentioned rules was you. I simply stated what I do. :rolleyes:

DLF I'm not sure why you are so opposed to doing it your self at least once ?? Id like to run mine lighten and then back to full street on the same day to see how much difference. I imagine at least 2-3 tenths.

The person that I was originally chasing on the "list" was J.P., whose car has a full interior. I decided to try and beat his time on a fairly level playing field. I also wanted to be the first to put my street car in the 12's. It may never happen, but that was/is the goal.

I've added weight to my car by installing larger brakes, larger wheels and tires, larger anti-sway bars, suspension bracing, etc., because it makes it a better car, not because it makes it any quicker or faster at the track.

Once you start removing things from the car (like interior parts) to achieve quicker track times, then you've crossed the line between street car and race car, IMHO.

Nothing wrong with that, and absolutely nothing wrong with what Frank did, but again, it's not a game that I choose to play with my LSC.

I have a Cobra for that. :cool:

couple ?'s for everyone.
1)Does what a seat is made from decide if its a "steet car" seat? (seat I put in is velour, padded and comfy)
2)Would Recaro or Corbeau seats be "OK"?
3)What if I put my other gray pass seat in been "OK"? ( 2 seat)

For the record when I made the 12.81 pass the car had a full functional JBA Premium stereo: Deck,speakers,amp,CD changer with cartridge all in car and working(9 cd's in cartridge)
All sway bars in car (can you ever pull front out in car without dropping K?)
All bigger cobra brakes in car
Steel DS loop in car 10lbs
Metal in back 10lbs
Wheel spacers 6lbs
Full A/C (still working knock on wood)
Full stock Air ride and pump
Trunk emptied: no spare or jack

Didn't you have slicks on. I'm not an expert but who drives around with those and skinnies. If anything I think that makes it a non street car.

Didn't you have slicks on. I'm not an expert but who drives around with those and skinnies. If anything I think that makes it a non street car.

Yes I do have slicks on like I already mentioned. I found them for 40 dollars and I'm not spending 400 on Hoosiers Quik times which will hook the same with couple groves in them. Also Driller has and does run with skinnies up front and had the record on the books for years.

I don't know the history of this record or really care but as a 'outsider' looking in. Running track tires and wheels seems like it would make it a track car. Sure you hit in the numbers you wanted but those aren't street setup.

Again I'm not trying to dis credit only learn and clarify because I don't give a hoot about this record.

I don't know the history of this record or really care but as a 'outsider' looking in. Running track tires and wheels seems like it would make it a track car. Sure you hit in the numbers you wanted but those aren't street setup.

Again I'm not trying to dis credit only learn and clarify because I don't give a hoot about this record.

Well just so you can know from now on other ran almost the same set up. Been done. Plus we are racing on a track.

I'm not sure that made sense

Just so you can know for further reference, others have ran the almost same set up. Its been done and no one mentioned it before.Also we are racing on a drag strip wouldn't drag tires be best choice?

Those cost money so no. I run the piece of trash 1993 trans. (SO i heard) Jmod and all accums thats it.

I saw you comment on another one of your threads:

"If your really into drag racing an auto why would you not have a trans brake?"

I just have to try to read into your clues. :p But yeah, I thought that was out of the budget. ;)

I just have to try to read into your clues. :p But yeah, I thought that was out of the budget. ;)

That was for don because he said he was having problems shorting with his car. My mustang has a trans brake thou.

I used to wonder this same thing. What i discovered is that my 90 mustang is faster using line locks and loading the drive train vs slamming it when you release the trans brake. I launch at about 2200 rpm on the line locks any higher and the 60 slows down. My mustang makes pretty small HP at 265 to the rear wheels so I am sure that plays into it. Also trans brakes are very hard are parts and you will find the weak link. Most of this will also be greatly affected by the convertor in the set up too. Also once you put the trans brake in you really limit the classes you can race.

I really do not see many trans brakes in cars slower then mid 10's hardly at all, once you go sub 10 then they are very common especially in the NHRA super classes where the trans break and delay box work together pretty much or hard to have one without the other.

Most guys with the power to run a power glide will also run a TB, when we used to race a super comp dragster it of course used one but also made 625 HP and weighted 1780 with the driver and ran 18" wide slicks. 1.18 60'

Two of my best friends are also two of the best bracket racers at BIR one has been king of the track the last two seasons and neither use a trans brake and both are automatics.

I'd still like to know your actual race weight on the 12.81 pass. If you don't know, or don't want to tell us, please just say so.

Also (again IMHO), any deviation from the factory installed interior, i.e. seats, console, carpets, sound deadening, etc., moves a street car into "race car" territory.

However, the same argument could also be made against drivetrain, exhaust and suspension modifications, so it's all just a matter of opinion. :p

Heck, my neighbors believe that all my cars are "race cars" because I have my NHRA numbers on them. :rolleyes:

And I'm used to DOT tires being the line between street classes and open classes at the track.

Please don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to diminish or cast any doubt on your accomplishment, it is absolutely spectacular. You were the first into the 12's, and should be very proud of yourself. :D

I just don't want to start ripping out my interior in order to keep up. I can, as I have Recaro's in my Cobra that I could use. But it's quite a bit of work, and I don't want to break anything in my 60K mile car doing it. :cool:

Many people with "street cars" run dot slicks and skinnies..its personal preference, I like the look, there's no rule qualifying the width of your front tires as being for strictly track or street..so if you like the look then you can also benefit from the lighter aluminum rims and less drag of skinny tires in the front. And like frank said as far as "dot" approved tires go the difference between the m/t et drags and et streets is about 4 grooves..same compound of rubber.

Alright Frank, watch out, cause this November I'm taking Betty to the track to see what she can do! I don't have slicks, but I might have a set by then!

:D:D:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back