12's KICKING DOWN THE DOOR N/A

Even when I'm "tight lipped" you learn stuff. LOL If I wanted to hide the one front seat and front skinnies I would not have post pics and vids. Its out there for all to see. This was first bolt on stock engine in 12's not a sanctioned 4000 min race. I really want you guys to get there too. This will again light fire under my butt. Goodluck and GET ER DONE. Note My AC still works and I really dont want to yank it. LOL

Weight reduction is your biggest factor as I had suspected. I noticed the slim profile racing seat on your dragtimes photo and what appeared to me to be the lack of a passenger seat in any form watching your video. I already know you run a motorcycle battery up front because you told me and the 15" drag lites with the front runners weigh nothing. You should have actually scaled your car because I would think that 3900# is a bit more than what it actually weighs. I was 4040# full street trim in a heavy Gen2. You're more than just 140# lighter.

Even with what you mentioned he still would have been in the 12's had the weight been there.
Roughly.. for every 100lbs you take off the car it will be a 10th of a sec faster... Roughly.
Weight reduction has a break even point, given weight transfer and traction. It also depends on where the weight is.

At the end of the day Frank had some nice runs, the car is quick.

If it were me, and it was a run in a straight line only car I'd start at the front and work my way back.
No sway bar, cut.the lower shock mount off and install a 90/10 shock, springs all around, Batt to the trunk, front seats.and carpet gone- race seat only. Maybe 50/50 shocks out back, scrap the fuel tank in the middle of the car and put a cell in the trunk.
That would be a good start.. maybe.. could be junk too.

It would be interesting if you posted your actual race weight.

Even with what you mentioned he still would have been in the 12's had the weight been there.
Roughly.. for every 100lbs you take off the car it will be a 10th of a sec faster... Roughly.
Weight reduction has a break even point, given weight transfer and traction. It also depends on where the weight is.

At the end of the day Frank had some nice runs, the car is quick.

If it were me, and it was a run in a straight line only car I'd start at the front and work my way back.
No sway bar, cut.the lower shock mount off and install a 90/10 shock, springs all around, Batt to the trunk, front seats.and carpet gone- race seat only. Maybe 50/50 shocks out back, scrap the fuel tank in the middle of the car and put a cell in the trunk.
That would be a good start.. maybe.. could be junk too.

If he was running stock wheels/tires up front and a regular battery and full interior etc., I doubt it. That helped him a lot out of the hole as you can see he still had a low13 trap speed on the 12.8 run. That's why he went through the effort of doing all that. To run 12s.

Has anyone here had problems with the stock rear end in these cars as far as breaking half shafts off the line? I haven't seen anyone upgrading the half shafts besides installing super coupe axles. Are there any companies out there who make aftermarket stuff that would work with our IRS? I know TOMS differentials makes IRS stuff for 63 and later corvettes..wonder if they make anything for fords like the 99-04 cobras..

I think you need to worry about HP first. Like forged internals w 20psi + boost

If he was running stock wheels/tires up front and a regular battery and full interior etc., I doubt it. That helped him a lot out of the hole as you can see he still had a low13 trap speed on the 12.8 run. That's why he went through the effort of doing all that. To run 12s.

Your confusing trap speed with ET
ET is found and lost @ 60ft.
Frank did more then put the car on a diet.
Go back and read his threads.

Even when I'm "tight lipped" you learn stuff. LOL If I wanted to hide the one front seat and front skinnies I would not have post pics and vids. Its out there for all to see. This was first bolt on stock engine in 12's not a sanctioned 4000 min race. I really want you guys to get there too. This will again light fire under my butt. Goodluck and GET ER DONE. Note My AC still works and I really dont want to yank it. LOL

Pssh..f*ck it I would ditch the a/c compressor, I have used the air in my car twice since I bought it..I just put up with the heat in the summer and roll with the windows down..ditch the power steering too lol, who needs it.

I think you need to worry about HP first. Like forged internals w 20psi + boost

You would be surprised what you can break leaving the line even with a car like frank's. His 60' time is pretty damn good at 1.7ish. Especially with an IRS with tiny ass half shafts in a 3900 lb. car with slicks launching at wot and and capable of 1.70 60ft there's enough torque there to break something. My dad's car with a th400 and 406 sbc, pulling 1.60 short times and mid 11s in the 1/4 was able to break drive shafts and center sections in a 9" ford...

Well, I guess I'll just have to settle for having the fastest (at least at the moment), if not the quickest, stock block N/A Mark VIII. I'm not interested in gutting my Lincoln to run artificial times. I run my car in full street trim, minus the jack and spare, at a race weight of ~ 3,990 lbs. Heck, I still have a full cartridge of CD's in the trunk changer. ;)

Regardless of that, Frank, what you've done is spectacular, and I wish you continued success.

Well, I guess I'll just have to settle for having the fastest (at least at the moment), if not the quickest, stock block N/A Mark VIII. I'm not interested in gutting my Lincoln to run artificial times. I run my car in full street trim, minus the jack and spare, at a race weight of ~ 3,990 lbs. Heck, I still have a full cartridge of CD's in the trunk changer. ;)

Regardless of that, Frank, what you've done is spectacular, and I wish you continued success.

Nice backhanded complement,
So the the jack and spare are OK to take out, but everything else stays?
Do we call this the DLF rule?
Frank did nothing artificial IMHO.

Mine has been lightened some also. I finally got to weigh it a few months ago in race trim. It was 3,850 lbs with me in it or 3,640 with out me. Lighter than I thought. Thats with the light weight wheels on the front and the extra seats and belts removed. Plus in the past everything to the air ride is gone and anything not bolted down. No AC compressor, no spare tire or jack. No floor mats, cigarette lighter ect ... Maybe there should be separate 1/4 mile category's for weights Stock and lightened modified. DLF I'm not sure why you are so opposed to doing it your self at least once ?? Id like to run mine lighten and then back to full street on the same day to see how much difference. I imagine at least 2-3 tenths.

Frank great 60' times. I'd still like to know how you got such good 60" times. I've read were Geno explained flashing the converter off the line but when I read the explenation it just sounds like punching it off the line ?? Are you holding the brake when first punch it ??

I think you did....there is also something about staging with your back tires......

Different people have different ideas of how they want their car to perform.

I have always been of the mindset of running full interior just like I would drive the car on the street. It is the same reason I have always favored boost over nitrous, if my car is going to run a number it should be able to run that number all the time.

I don't think Doug was making a backhanded compliment, he just doesn't want to make a lightened glory run that is not indicative of his cars everyday performance.

If the cars only purpose is to go down the dragstrip by all means lighten it all you want. If you want to drive to the track run a number and then next Saturday night when you are out cruising the car is still capable of running that number (given traction). No worries of bottle pressure or added weight slowing you down.

Of course this is JMO....lol

-Alan

Last edited:
Your confusing trap speed with ET
ET is found and lost @ 60ft.
Frank did more then put the car on a diet.
Go back and read his threads.

I think maybe I will. LOL. But hold on Kirk, I, m not confusing anything here. I've actually already acknowledged that. ET is lost at 60ft and I've known that for quite some time. But there is no denying that 103mph is a typical trap speed for s low13 Mark8 at full weight. Rotm us not at full weight therefore launching harder and probably not making much more power than before which is why his trap speed fluctuated very little from hid 13.3 run.

23769377.jpg

Yeah, really, why is this an issue about weight reduction?..its obvious that people are so critical of his car running 12s for strictly bragging rights..this is all for fun, there's no set rules here and this isn't class racing where there's a weight limit..once you start making up guidelines on the fastest n/a mark viii, where does it end? If Frank wants to drive around with no seats in his car then so be it, it's still a street driven car that can knock down 12 second time slips and pull off 20 mpg average (roughly).

There's no butthurt here with me. I was telling it just like it is. Maybe you should ask that of the guy who ripped his car apart. He's the one that had a fire lit underneath his ass when DLF passed him on the list in a heavy ass Gen2. And although rotm may now hate me for saying this, in full street trim Doug still is quicker, faster, and makes more power than you. Again, just sayin. And thats how it really is in real life.

BTW, The suggestion that you staged the rear tires was just wrong, on so many levels. :eek:

I don't know were the thumbs down came from ?? Sorry again Frank but obviously I disagree. With the information provided up to that point it was a possibility that the only provide time slip was a joke. 1, You have teased and played with us on numerous occasions in the name of fun enough to make me consider you doing that as a gag for one run as a joke knowing you had really set both records. 2, In the first and fastest video the camera does pan away from the tree in a way that would have allowed this to be done. 3, The videos of his other runs had a slower ET but a higher MPH. 4, Frank you should take it as a complement that your 60" and ET are so unbelievable that they are put under scrutiny. Being that low with 103.xx MPH on a street car is unheard of. So again EXCELLENT JOB. 5, There never was an question to me as to if he broke into the 12,s or that he set a record as some of the other videos you can clearly see the tree during all of the staging. 6, I didn't mind suggesting it as if I was wrong you could easily prove that and did. This is for a record and bragging rights so it is and should be put under scrutiny so I don't understand all the hurt feeling ?? As far as weight even if Frank was full weight I'm sure he would have still broke the record.

I think maybe I will. LOL. But hold on Kirk, I, m not confusing anything here. I've actually already acknowledged that. ET is lost at 60ft and I've known that for quite some time. But there is no denying that 103mph is a typical trap speed for s low13 Mark8 at full weight. Rotm us not at full weight therefore launching harder and probably not making much more power than before which is why his trap speed fluctuated very little from hid 13.3 run.
Quick question.
Two cars have the same ET, one car achieved it with a deeper gear.
Will the trap speeds be the same on both cars?
There's no butthurt here with me. I was telling it just like it is. Maybe you should ask that of the guy who ripped his car apart. He's the one that had a fire lit underneath his ass when DLF passed him on the list in a heavy ass Gen2. And although rotm may now hate me for saying this, in full street trim Doug still is quicker, faster, and makes more power than you. Again, just sayin. And thats how it really is in real life.
Franks car is street trim IMHO, he could take it to supermarket and get some cheese to go with all the wine in this thread.
Its the fastest N/A car....hands down

Oh my god. Lol. Ok now I'm getting tired of the stupidity with the full weight and still would've broke record thing. Bull fvcking chit! Look at the damn trap soeed on his 12.8 run! I don't see any signs that he made more power. All I see is good air and 4 tenths worth of weight reduction. No he would not have ran a 12.8 otherwise. End of story

And Kirk, it's the fastest and only annorexic Mark8 on the list. Big surprise! Lol

Quick question.
Two cars have the same ET, one car achieved it with a deeper gear.
Will the trap speeds be the same on both cars?

Franks car is street trim IMHO, he could take it to supermarket and get some cheese to go with all the wine in this thread.
Its the fastest N/A car....hands down

99zy3l.jpg

Oh my god. Lol. Ok now I'm getting tired of the stupidity with the full weight and still would've broke record thing. Bull fvcking chit! Look at the damn trap soeed on his 12.8 run! I don't see any signs that he made more power. All I see is good air and 4 tenths worth of weight reduction. No he would not have ran a 12.8 otherwise. End of story

And Kirk, it's the fastest and only annorexic Mark8 on the list. Big surprise! Lol

Well if that's all Frank did then have at it.
You have the perfect car, and the air is awesome right now.
Go home and gut the silver car and hand him his ass.
Good luck! :)

Members online

Back