04_Sport_LS's Suspension thread

This is the sticker on the springs which i ordered from a jag dealer, i am questioning they are the right size. They are bigger than the spring isolators that I've taken off the rear of my LS (2000 6cyl manual). 04_sport_ls thanks for the help so far.
Other than the XR811174 i dont think the other numbers on the sticker mean anything.

20200728_084523.jpg

anyone who has a rear isolator out of their LS, even a broken one. Can you do me a favor? Can you measure the inner and outer diameter of it please? The isolator I just took out of the driver rear of my LS (2000 6cyl manual) has these measurements with a caliper: ID 2.8 inches and OD 3.8 inches. (I can measure again to get mm). thanks!

This is what i am looking at guys. 2 new springs dont fit. The old spring fits perfect.

On a related note is there a difference between left and right on springs? (04_Sport calls out 2 different part numbers for left and right)

20200730_165724.jpg

20200730_170035.jpg

20200730_170526.jpg

Last edited:
That tag shows the prefix number of the part... but I don't see the suffix of the part #.

The packaging looks too new... because of the Land Rover logo.

Those are obviously the wrong springs. Maybe Jag did a design change in the S-Type springs in the latter years. They were made through 2008. The full part #'s listed at the beginning of this thread are correct for a 2002 S-Type.

Here's a pic of one of the tags off the springs I ordered years ago. Notice it shows only the suffix of the spring part # .

Time to start making some phone calls to the place you ordered them from. They either sent the wrong springs... or the wrong ones were mistakenly ordered.

IMG_20200801_113001578.jpg

The tag you have shows a build date of 2017. That is WAY after the S-Type was discontinued.

If I had to guess... the springs you received are for the newer Jag F-Type. It still uses a slightly redesigned newer version of the S-Type/LS suspension... with some differences.

Well... slightly off.

The S-Type was discontinued in 2010. The F-Type started production in 2013.

Either way... the springs you received are for something newer than the LS... and most likely the S-Type too.

The whole reason It's stated to order springs for a 2002 Jag S-Type... is because they were known to work on an LS... specifically when using Jag Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners.

Thank you 04_sport_ls i think you must be right. im going to do my best to find out what happened and what these really are. the dealership that sold me these is out of business too! unfortunately, this means I am probably out the $200 for these. it has been too long since I bought them anyway. i know i ordered the parts via their web site and drilled down to a 2002 S-Type. only the prefix number is shown in the parts drill down. 04_sport_ls can you point me anywhere online that shows the prefix and suffix numbers (for my research)

I will probably just have to bite it and to buy another set from somewhere. i will confirm the full suffix before I buy next time. If Jaguar changed these spring's design I would imagine that even the prefix number would change no?

If can figure out what they really are I can try to re-sell them again...IF...

are there any real differences between left and right springs?

Stupid question... but how did you buy springs from a Jag dealer that was out of business? It's only been a week or so.

If you told them you needed front and rear springs for a 2002 S-Type... and they sent you the wrong ones... then you should get a refund.

If that isn't possible... then dispute the charge on your CC.

There should be no difference between left and right springs... but there WILL be a difference between front and rear springs.... and more of a difference on the front depending on a V6 or V8.

I'm not a Jag parts counter guy. I don't know how to read their part numbers... other than the suffix seems to determine the vehicle model and spring location.

Post #25 in here shows the full part numbers for all 4 springs

I did a quick Google search with "XR811174" ... and it comes up for the Jag S-Type... so the only possibility is they were mislabeled... or the issue is with the shocks. By your pics It almost looks like you sre trying to install a Jag spring on an LS front shock.

it has been too long since I bought them anyway.
I wasn't very clear. I am embarrassed to say I bought them 2 years ago now. story of my life, ramp up to do a project and then house and family...

I am certain I am doing everything right. I am certain I was given the wrong springs. Remember the issue isn't with my shocks it is with the isolator I took off the rear of my LS

Call Terry's Jaguar in Michigan. I know a few years back there were a couple LS members dealt with them with trying to do the same thing I did.

If the same guy is still at Terry's... he should be able to help you out. He would also be able to decipher the tags you have for the springs that don't fit.

After talking to them on the phone... you could email a pic of the tag to them.

I'm just as curious about those springs too... and why they won't work since a Google search says they should.

Here is a pic of 2 LS front shock assemblies... and 3 LS rear springs.

The Jag springs should look identical to the rear LS springs I have... except for the coil stagger.

Your last pic in post #153 looks different. Like the last coil gets tighter all of a sudden.

Is that an LS spring... or am I looking at it wrong?
IMG_20200801_195440116.jpg

thanks 04_sport. im not following though, the bottom of the springs in your picture looks tighter too? My last picture in #153 is my "original" spring.

but maybe we are on to something...
i got to thinking back thru the cobwebs, and I took a look back in my LS folder at all my service records. (and I also saw how many tickets I got back then!! I've had this car since I was 21, bought in July 2000)

back in 2006, when I was single and had disposable income, I had my mechanic do some suspension work, and his invoice shows shocks, fronts (1W4Z18124CA) and rears (XW4Z18125BA), purchased from our local Lincoln dealer. Looking up those shows XW4Z18125BA as a "special suspension" and XW4Z18125CA is the "performance suspension". Any idea of the difference? it does not say the springs were replaced so these should be the original springs. why did he order those "special suspension" shocks. is my LS even a SPORT??

thx for your pic, here are mine in pics (left original and right new) please let me know what which one looks more like yours, I cant see straight at this point... I got to put the kids to bed, my wife's gonna kill me...

20200801_203714.jpg

20200801_204049.jpg

If you go back to post #14... you'll see the new Jag rear coil spring next to my broken LS "Sport" spring.

The Jag spring has the blue stripe just like the pair you got.

Yup... I think we might be onto something too. It comes down to the designation of "performance" suspension vs "special" suspension.

Would your LS happen to be an LSE?

I believe "performance" would be the "Sport" suspension... and "special" would be the "Euro" suspension. available only on the LSE version.

Either way then... I would think that the Bilstein shocks would work with the Jag springs you bought a couple years ago. The problem then you will have... is finding the lower spring seats/isolators to work with the Bilstein shocks.

Keep in mind that everything I sourced is from/for a 2002 Jag... whick should retrofit into the LS.

Seems the first model year... or just the LSE's ... may be an, (the only), exception. (shrug)

nah, i dont have an LSE. I think LSEs started in 2002. What I do have is a pretty early build 2000 6cyl manual trans... who knows...
You are right I need to find new isolators from a newer model year LS sport or from a S-Type. I might have to ebay 2 shock/spring sets from a 02-04 Sport and make sure the isolators are good before buying.

The more I think... and the more I look at the pics in post #153... there is definitely something "special" about your OEM rear shocks and springs. :rolleyes:

You have the rear Jag springs for the LS. I think if you get the rear Jag Bilstein B4 or B6 shocks for the LS... then everything should come together ok.

Just so you can check your Jag springs... I put some calipers on the bottom of one of the LS rear springs I have.

Approimate diameters are 4.10" O.D. ... and 3.00" I.D.

Hope that helps.

yes that shock in the picture is a BILSTEIN - B4 OE 24-026628.

thanks for the measurements 04_sport_ls. My original "special" spring approximate diameter is the same :(
4.10" O.D. ... and 3.00" I.D. I am measuring from the bottom most tip (end of the coil) straight across and up a little to the outside of the bend above the tip. see red line in pic below (mspaint special)

the Jag springs I have are slightly bigger, approx 4.20 and 3.10. think that could be right?

20200801_203714b.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a thread with Jag shock part numbers. Post #45.

My kingdom for sport rear shocks

Yes those springs should work. The Jag springs are just a hair larger, but they fit the Bilsteins.

Part of reason for the larger O.D. is because the rod used to make the spring is larger than the typical LS spring.

Notice I said "typical". Your "special" springs might be an exception.

thanks! i guess most of the proof now points to my isolator being wrong not the Jag springs. although it is back and forth. it is becoming clearer to me that I am just going to have to buy another of one or the other and see. I think I am going to go with a 2004+ strut/spring assembly from a junkyard or ebay and see how that unit's isolator fits. think that is a good plan?

according to the post below we all may have what I've called the "special" suspension shocks. and the LSE has what we've called the "performance" suspension shocks. Lincoln part websites seem to confirm this. Some websites actually label them a little more specifically:
"performance suspension, special suspension"
and
"european, performance suspension"

special suspension

V8 ONLY:

Sport Front: 1W4Z 18124-DA
Sport Rear: XW4Z 18125-BA

Euro Front: 1W4Z 18124-FA (LSE)
Euro Rear: XW4Z 18125-CA (LSE)

V6 ONLY:

Sport Front: 1W4Z 18124-CA
Sport Rear: XW4Z 18125-BA

Euro Front: 1W4Z 18124-EA (LSE)
Euro Rear: XW4Z 18125-CA (LSE)

XW4Z18125BA as a "special suspension"
XW4Z18125CA is the "performance suspension"

that thread also state the Lincoln may have done some mix and matching at times too...

the parts websites also do show two different springs
Ls6, ls8 To 12/18/2001. Suspension Code:MAG.
Ls6, ls8 From 12/18/2001. Suspension Code:MAJ.
maybe my difference lies there....

Last edited:
Don't obsess too much over the OEM part numbers. They go out the window when converting to the Bilsteins. B4 and B6 shocks are your only options.

During assembly of the coilover shocks... you will notice a slight bit of slop between the isolator and the I.D. of the spring. It's a non issue really. The springs will find center.

The main thing is to get the the tail of the spring butted up against the high side, (stop), of the tapered isolator. And if you want to be picky about centering the spring during assembly... there's nothing wrong with that. I did... and in 100k miles, nothing has moved.

I can also tell you that while the Jag isolator will fit the Jag spring better..
they seem to be made out of the same unobtanium as new LS isolators.

ok, i hear you about the slop between the isolator tabs and the ID of the Jag spring. but how about the slope (incline) of the spring to the isolator. that matched all the way around I assume? not like my pictures 1 and 2 in post #153.

sorry this is taking so much back and forth and time! i don't mind it is the nature of this type of job. i don't blame anyone, I'll be happy with this Jag conversion. i just don't have so much extra time! lol

The bottom tail of the Jag spring will compress just fine... and the spring will follow the contour of the isolator.

that confused me, are you saying the spring won't follow the contour of the isolator until it is compressed?

Keep in mind also that the top mounting plate has a contour too... so everything has to be "clocked" properly.

Are you planning on doing this yourself? It's very dangerous disassembling and re assembling these. Especially using one of the threaded rod spring compressors. Even the air powered spring compressors can fail. Just because of the danger level... I rate the difficulty level of doing this... at an 8 out of 10... 10 being most difficult.

DON'T use a rental version of the above. You don't know how it's been abused... or how many times.

The last thing you want to do... is widow your wife, and orphan your kids.

Members online

Back