04_Sport_LS's Suspension thread

Since there are now 2 threads going on about this... I might as well post it here too for reference for different viewers. A question was raised about certain shocks listed on Summits website... so I went to Bilsteins e-catalog.

Here are the proper part #s for Jag shock to fit the LS, (with spring conversion).

Not sure what the monotube B4's fit. Might be some sort of error/misprint on Summits end.

Went to the Bilstein e-catalog and typed in 2002, Jaguar, S-type, base, 4.0L.... and it only shows 2 b4's and 2 B6's. The valid B4 part #s are:

24-024921 - Front
24-026628 - Rear

Valid B6 part #s

24-067799 - Front
24-067782 - Rear

Source - Bilstein Online Catalog

Search Results For: '2002 Jaguar S-Type Base 4.0 L GAS Naturally Aspirated'
Filter
Filter
FILTER

• Part Type
    • Shocks / Struts (6)
  • Category
    • OE Replacement (4)

• Performance - Stock Height (2)
  • Position
    • Front (3)

• Rear (3)
  • Series
    • B4 OE Replacement (2)

• B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic) (2)

• B6 Performance (2)

24-024921_thu-jpg.jpg
B4 OE Replacement - Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-024921

Series: B4 OE Replacement

Position: Front

Notes:

-Without Electronic Suspension to 04/2002

20-070632_thu-jpg.jpg
B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic) - Shock Absorber
Part Number: 20-070632

Series: B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic)

Notes:

-With Electronic Suspension to 04/2002

24-067799_thu-jpg.jpg
B6 Performance - Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-067799

Series: B6 Performance

Notes:

24-026628_thu-jpg.jpg
B4 OE Replacement - Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-026628

Series: B4 OE Replacement

Position: Rear

Notes:

20-070649_thu-jpg.jpg
B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic) - Shock Absorber
Part Number: 20-070649

Series: B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic)

Notes:

-With Electronic Suspension to 04/2002

24-067782_thu-jpg.jpg
B6 Performance - Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-067782

Series: B6 Performance

Notes:

Thank you, your search will affect future product development at BILSTEIN. Unfortunately, at this time we do not make any products for this vehicle. SUBMIT

Also just thought of another question: did the Jag s Types have different “levels” like the LS...base and sport or did they all have the same shocks (not including the CATS, which are obviously different).

Thanks

When doing the parts searching for my car, and knowing that Jag changed the S-Type suspension in 2003, I only researched the 2000-2002 S-Type and from what found there were only two suspension variants. Standard suspension and the optional CATS electronically adaptive suspension. AFAIK, the S-Type Sport debuted in 2002 (in the US) and the Sports had CATS as standard equipment.

When I was looking for springs, I found that the CATS system had its own designated part numbers. Presumably they are different rates, however they could also be different heights so you don’t want springs from a CATS equipped car.

With regards to the Standard non-CATS suspension, I believe that the rear springs are the same between the V6 and V8 cars but I would have expected the fronts to be different with the V8 having a higher spring rate so when I was ordering my front springs, I spec’d them for a 2002 S-Type 4.0L car. As for the shocks, there are only two options, with CATS or without.

Jump over to the Jaguar forums and do a search. Maybe somebody there has used them and given feedback. Or,,, start a new thread here asking that very question.

Update....

So coming up on a year and 9 months since this thread was started,,, everything is holding up well. I know some people have been having issues with certain rear toe links. I can say that after all this time... and 30,000+ miles,,, with my normal semi aggressive to aggressive driving style,,, the Lemforder non-passive rear to links are still solid as a rock.

If you can live with the non-passive rear links... the Lemforders seem to be the way to go. Like I've said elsewhere... they make the back end very predictable and controllable.

LEMFORDER 3358901 (33589 01) Tie Rod Assembly (inner & outer) $ 98.79 $ 0.00 2 $ 197.58

Recently... I took an almost 90 degree turn at 50-55mph, (turn lane to double lane). When the back started to slide, I just turned into it and caught it... got back over into the left lane and kept going. Whee fun!!! :cool:

Also... back when I finished the suspension rebuild,,, the LS sat at 27 1/2 inches from top of wheel well, (through center line of the hub), to concrete, at all 4 corners. Now... it sits at 27 1/8 inches with the same measurements. So it did over time settle 3/8".

This is a great thread. Wish 04 Sport Ls was my neighbor. Worth a bump.

This is a great thread. Wish 04 Sport Ls was my neighbor. Worth a bump.
He certainly knows the suspension components of the Lincoln LS ...I’ve learned a ton from his threads the last four years

I doubt it. When I did my conversion... I ordered 4 new Jag springs and only one came with an isolator.
That's really strange. I remember reading in another thread somewhere, someone had ordered 2 Jag springs and only one came with an isolator. I don't recall where he ordered them from. I wasn't aware that yours were Suplex. For some strange reason, I thought you had gotten genuine Jaguar springs. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Nothing like clarity in these situations! :)

Thanks for all the information!

04_Sport_LS, RigsLS and others. Are there other large threads with a bunch more info on suspension replacement (rear and front)?
I am reading this thread 04_sport_lss-suspension-thread and
My kingdom for sport rear shocks

seems like there may be references to other threads.? thx!
(i know there are small threads here and there but)

I have front suspension done on my 2000 v6 manual, and am currently working on driver side of the rear.

(much of the front suspension was not done by me actually, i needed to get the car towed so I let the mechanic who towed the car do much of the work. this was a mistake in many respects)

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

It looks as if the only unknown part number is that in which is for the front lower spring isolators. Have any of you sourced this part, either OEM or aftermarket?

04_Sport_LS, you had mentioned that you received only one lower spring isolator. What did you do for the other, missing isolator?

Thank you!

The Jag isolator.... and an LS front isolator... went off to a urethane company to be a sample for making isolators out of urethane.

They decided that it wouldn't be cost effective for them... and the response from members on here weren't very enthusiastic about the idea.

So the first company handed me off to another company that was interested... but I still couldn't get alot of support on here... so I walked away from the whole thing.

As far as what I actually did... was cannibalize a couple rear LS shocks for the isolators... and used them on the front Jag shock/spring assemblies.

All 4 isolators on the Jag S-Type... are the same size as the rear LS isolators... unlike the front LS shocks... where the isolators are smaller.

Actual Jag S-Type isolators DO exist... but they only show up through an S-Type VIN # search on a Jaguar dealer catalog search.

Ok, thank you I appreciate your advice. I may try looking for the part number for the front Jaguar isolator instead of purchasing used LS parts to tear down.

You could try going to a junkyard that has a 2002 S-Type... and using the VIN from it to search an online Jag dealer catalog.

However... Jag doesn't call it a seat, or isolator... and I think there is a mid year cutoff date, IIRC... which can confuse things even more.

So all I need to buy is ? (Other than the shocks lol)
XR811174-43346-66459 ITEM 8 - 2002 S-Type Base Left Spring
1 $109.86 $109.86
XR811174-43346-66460 ITEM 8 - 2002 S-Type Base Right Spring
1 $109.86 $109.86
C2Z15891-43346-66451 ITEM 9 - 2002 S-Type Base Left Isolator
1 $20.82 $20.82
C2Z15891-43346-66452 ITEM 9 - 2002 S-Type Base Right Isolator
1 $20.82 $20.82
MJA2162AA-43346-66453 ITEM 10 - 2002 S-Type Base Left Isolator
1 $2.51 $2.51
MJA2162AA-43346-66454 ITEM 10 - 2002 S-Type Base Right Isolator
1 $2.51 $2.51
And then find 2 more Isolators from a rear set of LS shocks and get the isolators on them?

Also what if I wanted to replace the rear springs since I am trying to make this ride the best? Would I need to buy the normal rear Jaguar springs and would I need extra Isolators for the rear if doing rear springs. I am just trying to understand this the best possible way so I can get the parts and let my mechanic know what to do exactly. And do I buy the normal LS Mount kits with the jaguar stuff?

Last edited:
First... the isolators for $2.51 are the flat discs that aren't really needed.

The 2 front springs you listed. Do you have a V6 or V8 in yours? It matters by 100-200 pounds... and will affect the handling.

The $20 isolators I'm drawing a blank on. Is thst from my thread... or one of the Jag dealerships? The reason I ask... is because only one of my springs came with an isolator... and i couldn't locate them.

Or... are the $20 isolators for the top of the spring?

First... the isolators for $2.51 are the flat discs that aren't really needed.

The 2 front springs you listed. Do you have a V6 or V8 in yours? It matters by 100-200 pounds... and will affect the handling.

The $20 isolators I'm drawing a blank on. Is thst from my thread... or one of the Jag dealerships? The reason I ask... is because only one of my springs came with an isolator... and i couldn't locate them.

Or... are the $20 isolators for the top of the spring?
I have a 2001 V8 LS. I just want to replace everything (both rear and front shocks and springs) and need a good complete list of what all I need. So I get everything ordered that is needed the first try.

Last edited:
Ok Dale,

I ate some dinner, and now I'm on a somewhat normal computer instead of my phone.

Sooo... parts list from first page of this thread:

I didn't use the top Isolators for the Jag,,, but it was worth having them "just in case". The bottom isolator is just a flat disc,,, thus the reason I used the unobtanium LS bottom isolators in conjunction with the flat "Jag" isolator.

XR811174-43346-66459 ITEM 8 - 2002 S-Type Base Left Spring
1 $109.86 $109.86
XR811174-43346-66460 ITEM 8 - 2002 S-Type Base Right Spring
1 $109.86 $109.86
C2Z15891-43346-66451 ITEM 9 - 2002 S-Type Base Left Isolator << top mounting plate
1 $20.82 $20.82
C2Z15891-43346-66452 ITEM 9 - 2002 S-Type Base Right Isolator << top mounting plate
1 $20.82 $20.82
MJA2162AA-43346-66453 ITEM 10 - 2002 S-Type Base Left Isolator << invalid, not an isolator
1 $2.51 $2.51
MJA2162AA-43346-66454 ITEM 10 - 2002 S-Type Base Right Isolator << invalid, not an isolator
1 $2.51 $2.51

Subtotal: $266.38
Tax: $0.00
Shipping Cost: $53.81
Grand Total: $320.19

The part MJA2162AA-43346-66454 is not an actual spring isolator. It is a shim to adjust ride height. It is not needed.

The parts listed above are for the REAR. This is why I suggested your read the whole thread at least once. You will need to go to an online Jag dealership parts catalog to source the front springs and related parts... or find another parts list in this thread. It's here somewhere.

There are NO lower spring isolators listed here... because they typically came with the spring, (and or shock assembly) You will need to reuse the lower isolators off your rear LS shocks, for the rear Jag springs. There's pics and an explanation how to get them off, early on in this thread. Again... thats why I suggested reading the thread.

The Bilstein B4 and B6 part numbers are listed above in post #101. Stay away from the green shocks. Thay are specifically for Jag S-Types that have an electronically controlled suspension... and will not work on the LS.

Again... all the part numbers listed above,,, are for the rear only. So double the money for all the front stuff too. Most if not all the front part numbers will be different that the rear numbers... plus you will have to source a couple more lower rear isolators... to install on the front bilstein shocks, because as I said... the coil springs on the front of the LS are smaller and those lower isolators won't work.

The Bilstein B6 shocks you want... are going to be around $150 a corner... depending on where you find them... and they are special order/made to order.

IIRC... I sourced my B4's from Rock Auto.

So expect to pay $300-350 a corner for new springs and shocks... when converting the LS to Jag S-Type components.

Plus alignment, plus rear toe links... or any other worn out suspension components.

Last edited:
The Bilstein B6 shocks you want... are going to be around $150 a corner... depending on where you find them... and they are special order/made to order.

IIRC... I sourced my B4's from Rock Auto.

So expect to pay $300-350 a corner for new springs and shocks... when converting the LS to Jag S-Type components.

Plus alignment, plus rear toe links... or any other worn out suspension components.
Luckily, I have already replaced everything else suspension wise on the car. But what sucks is having to replace my rear shocks again which I had just replaced! But since I am replacing front springs I kinda wanted to do the rear so I know I get a good ride. If I could have found the OEM shocks for the front I would not be attempting this.

The whole reason I did the Jag conversion... is because the Sport shocks were no longer available at the time.

The Jag conversion may seem a little softer initially,,, but it gets firmer the harder you drive it. The main difference between the LS and the S-Type is the springs, (and the option of the better Bilstein shocks).

The LS uses a "constant rate" spring. It compresses with the same pressure throughout the spring travel. The S-Type springs are "progressive rate" , which means as the spring compresses... it gets stiffer. Look at the coil spacing on an LS spring and an S-Type spring. The further down the spring you go... the coils get closer together on the Jag spring. There's a pic of this on the first page of this thread.

Members online

Back