Got my A$$ handed to me.... :(

I dont know why no one understands this isn't supposed to be a sports car that tears ass down the strip at mach speeds.:rolleyes:

Take its class and compare and then if you still complain about it not be a fast enough race car you bought the wrong car. Well, if you complain about it not be a fast enough race car in general you bought the wrong car, its not a race car!

ok so this car is just like the old marks used to be.... a gentlemans muscle car. yes the 2000 doesnt compare with the 08-09 models. But several people have proven that these cars can keep up and destroy competition in the auto-x, drag strip, land speed, hell even the lap across america thing they were beating even porches. So now you all think that because some older cars are worn down and not helped out and losing to new competitors.... not going to happen.

as far as filling lincoln and ford maint bays... what kind of crap are doing to your car? I beat on mine and asside from minor things that I have broken, she hasnt needed anything other than some routine maint.

Bottom line, ILLS QuickLS and CammerFE have each gone different routes and shown the LS's hidden potential. Guys like Empire, 02hbvksadhvbsv sdfn,vblsajvbsjvbaskj, , and myself have done some more subtle and yet VERY successful mods to make them boogie. Any 3800lb luxury 4 door that can rip 12's in the quarter, or own the comp on a road course gets my hat off!!!! If you can think outside the box and need to be spoon fed your performance mods, buy something else or just stop racing all together.

Those are things hat can be done with any car.

Bottom line this is not a performance car. Place it with its class like I said and yes it is good at what its class does! thats the bottom line to it be it auto X or what ever! Do not expect to get some kind of street rod out of a LS. I dont care what turbos go on and what SC's go on. Truth be it from the factory years before and still in the years to come loads of cars will and do out compete the LS on a performance stand point.

This car is not and never was intended on performance.

Its not a muscle car, its a mid aged mans luxury car. Thats why it has the aggressive look. Luxury means larger car which means bigger engines which means more power. This thing was given the amount of power needed to do what it was needed to do and thats it.

I think its funny how some people stick up for their car no matter what. Saab, ferrari, audi, and ford probe people are like that too. It is ok to talk about what your car is not good at and reasons why it sucks. Your car won't retaliate on you and break down.

Andy - your issues sound like they are more prespective than fact. That's ok - you're allowed.... make the most of it - or not - there are downsides on everything, it just matters where you spend your time focusing.

Here's a line of thought -

you can buy a used early LS for close to $10k. 252hp V8 Sedan with great balance and handling. Can you find another similar car in that class for that money?

Sink another $5k or so into upgrades - engine, brakes, suspension, tires - and now you have a 400hp sedan that does quite well - all for $15k - $20k.

Not bad for the $$ - right? If you are looking for a all out sport car - it usually means two seats - then there are lots of other choices.

One nice thing about the LS - is that most issues are well know, fixes well known and groups out there that have advice.

What's that? Keeping the Lincoln service bays full?

Not mine. If you have a car with over 100K unmaintained miles it's going to break. The only "problem" areas I read people complaining about are the valve cover gaskets (needing replacement under 100K or ~7 years is, IMHO, early), coils (can't count them if the gaskets caused their failure), ball joints, stabilizer bar bushings, transmission solenoid (not valve body; which so many people confuse the two) and stabilizer bar bushings (there was a design issue, therefore the design change). Most of these failures occur over 100K miles. I don't know your experience, but a standard coil used to last ~40K miles, points and condensers needed to be changed with every plug change every 15K miles or so. Front suspension parts lasted well under 50K miles. Most of the complaints I read here are just that, complaints. I've maintained my LS well and have had just a few issues. The solenoid pack went ~90K miles. The ball joints seem fine (could it be all these low offset wheels are destroying the carefully designed suspension points?). The DVVC went at 140ishK miles, the (poorly built, not poorly designed) window regulator went. My major problems; hydraulic fan pump, degas bottle and upper radiator hose unit (I replaced the radiator as a precaution); all occurred at over 150K miles. Pretty reasonable in my opinion.

The LS was designed, as Quik said, to compete with the 530 and 540. They excelled in that respect. Is a 2000 V6 LS low on power compared to a 2009 Altima? Probably; and it weighs considerably more. Which would you rather drive 700 miles at a stretch? I've driven my LS over 900 miles in a day and it was a pleasure. I wasn't beat to death with a rough ride or wind/road noise enough to deafen me.

I'm not an LS apologist, I'm just trying to interject reasonable expectations.

Andy - your issues sound like they are more prespective than fact. That's ok - you're allowed.... make the most of it - or not - there are downsides on everything, it just matters where you spend your time focusing.

Here's a line of thought -

you can buy a used early LS for close to $10k. 252hp V8 Sedan with great balance and handling. Can you find another similar car in that class for that money?

Sink another $5k or so into upgrades - engine, brakes, suspension, tires - and now you have a 400hp sedan that does quite well - all for $15k - $20k.

Not bad for the $$ - right? If you are looking for a all out sport car - it usually means two seats - then there are lots of other choices.

One nice thing about the LS - is that most issues are well know, fixes well known and groups out there that have advice.

Can the LS drive train handle 400hp? With all the tranny problems in stock form I would have to say no.

Lots of luxury cars in the 00-06 range can be had for under 15k like BMW, and lexus. Honestly if I were looking for a good performing lux car I would have went with just about anything but the LS. Only reason I have an LS is because of the looks. These cars don't do well for any of the racing I do and I have done and am still active in auto-x, road coarse, drag, ice oval/coarse racing.

If I wanted to race my lux car I would have got an IS300.

I don't know about you guys but i would take a rear wheel drive v8 sports car over a altima anyday I dont care which is faster!!!!!

Altima Coupes are awesome

their is a black on black chrome outside my place, beautiful car.... it aint no LS on 20's though:shifty:

Can the LS drive train handle 400hp? With all the tranny problems in stock form I would have to say no.

I would have to say that you are wrong. The LS drivetrain can and has held to 400hp and past it as well. Both when I had the nitrous on the LS and also when it was turbocharged it was making in excess of 400 hp in total (hell with the turbo it was making about 450hp in total) and the drivetrain held up fine. Proper tuning counts for ALLOT of how long the 5R55S, N, W series transmissions live. Mind you that the car was encountering serious traction issues on both accounts which does prolong drivetrain life, but regardless the power was still there. Rather than throwing pure guesstimations and opinion around you may want to do a little looking around next time. While everyone and their brother aren't putting 400+ hp through the LS some of us have. Until you have tested it yourself you really should refrain from assuming anything.

Well in my opinion my LS looks good sitting still. I know my stock LS isn't a dragster, so I don't race people.

I would have to say that you are wrong. The LS drivetrain can and has held to 400hp and past it as well. Both when I had the nitrous on the LS and also when it was turbocharged it was making in excess of 400 hp in total (hell with the turbo it was making about 450hp in total) and the drivetrain held up fine. Proper tuning counts for ALLOT of how long the 5R55S, N, W series transmissions live. Mind you that the car was encountering serious traction issues on both accounts which does prolong drivetrain life, but regardless the power was still there. Rather than throwing pure guesstimations and opinion around you may want to do a little looking around next time. While everyone and their brother aren't putting 400+ hp through the LS some of us have. Until you have tested it yourself you really should refrain from assuming anything.

How many mile were put on those 400+hp LS's? 17 seconds of drag racing is easier on a car than road racing for 45 minutes strait where the tranny has to put up with lots of heat for an extended period of time. Also with the added strain of excessive shifting and on/off throttle all the time.

Have you ever done that with your turbo LS?

SOOOOO Snowseeker let me ask you a question..... Since you hate your LS so much why haven't you sold it for something else?

its not just snowseeker who is dogging on their cars. There are quite a few. But they dont outright hate their cars, they just dont think they have the performance of some of the other cars out there.

Snow, to answer your power to DD thing, im just under and probably over at the crank.... Quick is boosted via a SC and he DD`s his car. As for ILLS and his car, that turbo LS was done as a product he made available.... it was safe in ways it probably didnt have to be. Oh and even a bone stock first gen should be able to get into the low 15`s..... so the 17 seconds of drag racing would include slowing down and launching

- look to some it's just cool to act like things are good enough for you. everyone contributes to the forum in their own way....

I know it seems like some of us come off as fanboys - seriously, what the point of bitching?

The LS is not my first car, won't be my last. Just make the most of what you got - that is what being an enthusist is all about.

- look to some it's just cool to act like things are good enough for you. everyone contributes to the forum in their own way....

I know it seems like some of us come off as fanboys - seriously, what the point of bitching?

The LS is not my first car, won't be my last. Just make the most of what you got - that is what being an enthusist is all about.

I agree with you. The few things are known and can be fixed easy and well all cars have problems and I would rather have a car with common known easy fixes than a POS that can just be unpredictable.

Im not dogging on my LS I love my LS. But there is no point in a LS as far as high performance period. To be honest with 15K-20k$ you have over 100 cars that can handle and run laps way better than the LS. How ever I just love the look inside and out of the LS and I do appreciate the power it has to offer to make a sedan go but it is not a performance vehicle. Neither are lots of cars out so yes you can do multiple mods to make it faster and handle but its intention was not for just that. Now if you buy a LS, do the intake and exhaust mods and expect to kick everything on the roads ass cause you have that paired to a V8 you have bought the wrong car!

Everytime one of these kill threads starts, an arguement about the car's "intended purpose" also starts between the vets and the noobs. It's too great. Keep up the entertainment!

In the last 9 months I put probably 200 miles on my LS :)
(was home on leave for a couple weeks)

I killed a mitsubishi 3000GT from stoplight to over 80 :D and my car runs like :q:q:q:q in the El Paso heat and altitude. Of course I'm sure all cars aside from FI cars take the same hit from the altitude.

This wasn't a Kill thread it was actually a thread about someone getting spanked, but I will stand by the guys that have made there cars capable to perform.

sorry there was no purpose for my post besides post count +1

Members online

Back