"New car hunt" - Visited Mercedes and Jaguar

You know, i have been monitoring the Jaguar forums and haven't seen anyone with any major problems with XF. The only glitch is the Jaguardrive gear selector in some 09s, which is covered under warranty.
Other than that, it's a solid car for the most part.

You know, i have been monitoring the Jaguar forums and haven't seen anyone with any major problems with XF. The only glitch is the Jaguardrive gear selector in some 09s, which is covered under warranty.
Other than that, it's a solid car for the most part.

I think that in addition to better tensioners, they've doubled up the timing chains in the engine. I think that they did learn from earlier mistakes.

Ecellent choice, I really like that car also, have not driven one yet but the style and HP are awesome.

Nick, thank you. I really loved the car. I have to put this out there, if anyone every gets out of their LS and is looking for a replacement/upgrade, XF should be on the top of the list.

I think that in addition to better tensioners, they've doubled up the timing chains in the engine. I think that they did learn from earlier mistakes.

Joe, do the 09s (carry over 4.2L from S type) have improved timing chains or they only incorporated that into the new 5.0 liter engine in 2010?

...Joe, do the 09s (carry over 4.2L from S type) have improved timing chains or they only incorporated that into the new 5.0 liter engine in 2010?

I think that it's just the 5.0's, but I can't remember for certain off hand. I'll have to look it up.

Edgar,
Awesome to hear you are making that step up to the Jag. I definitely think it is the right choice! Also you are the first person that has given a real impression by actually driving the car. I got to sit in one, but sitting and driving are two totally different things... It's gonna look sweet next to the Navi!

I know this goes without saying but I am eagerly awaiting pics!!!

I wonder just how much more of a pull the XFR has compared to the 4.2 or 5.0 base models.

Thank you fellas, I will keep you all posted.

Joe, let me know if you do find out. Thanks!

Thomas,
i want one in black on black so, yes, it will compliment the Navigator in the driveway - or the other way around. lol
When i test drove the E class, i really wasn't so hyped up, but the XF just blew my mind away. The Benz didn't excite me enough, where i so quickly wanted to replace the LS. But the XF?... different animal. They are cousins, that may be why....

Black, 4.2 liter supercharged is 420hp and 410lb/ft with 0-60 of 5.4.
5.0 liter (the one i test drove is 385hp and 380lb/ft with 0-60 of 5.5.
5.0 liter supercharged is 510hp and 461lb/ft with 0-60 of 4.7.

There is pretty big difference between a R model and a base model. The 5.0 liter is good enough, it's a rocket. I believe you can get the 5 liter supercharged in a non-XFR model with 470hp as well.

They actually had a left over XFR they were trying to get rid off. Wish i could afford it.
6792228333_2e94333e50_b.jpg

Sweet car. Too bad they have to screw up the bumper with the stupid license plate frame!

amazing car, seen one parked next to me the other day and I had to take a moment to stare lol cant wait to see some pics. Great upgrade!

Sweet car. Too bad they have to screw up the bumper with the stupid license plate frame!

Even worse than that, is the Adaptive Cruise Control plate on the right lower grill. You can see part of it in the picture.

amazing car, seen one parked next to me the other day and I had to take a moment to stare lol cant wait to see some pics. Great upgrade!

The way things are going who knows when i will get it. I have been suffering from XF withdrawl. Should have never went on a test drive. lol

NICE!

Yeah, its not good to drive anything faster than the ls if you dont own that faster car. If you drive something slower, thats alright, you'll appreciate the ls more once you get back in it.

It's not even that. The interior and the features it offers is as attractive to me as the HP numbers.

That's what is so weird, the Benz is actually faster than the Jaguar on paper, but it didn't give me the urge needed to let the LS go.

But you drove a base and not an AMG right?? Because a tuned one can reach 600 on stock motor.

Yeah those i would not even bother with.

I just really want something with brembo brakes out the factory. I even dared looking at a Hyundai Genesis Coupe because its rwd and a beefy V6 but the interior is horrid and way too plasticy for my taste.

Hey man, don't go buying a Genesis, cause i am going to be the first person to talk trash about your car. Just kidding around Black :)

They come with Brembos from factory?

I don't know what the stopping power were on Brembo'd STRs, but i don't think they are that much better than the brakes on XF superchaged or 2010 models. You can always wait and go for an XF. They are already in mid to high twenties.

I actually like that style XJ more than the new ones. Looks like a Bentley and you can get it supercharged also.

That's a lot of money for a 5 year old car. I thought about them, but i like the Xf more.

Just saw the ad. It's a supercharged XJ they hold their value really well compared to the XF.

And that one only has 25k miles on it. I would pay 30k for it.

One of the main reasons is the XJs generally cost a lot more than the XFs.

Black, you would take the old cat over this one?

6807379071_a0b46b7403_b.jpg

I went along with Ed to look at an XF supercharged. Never been in one before, but after having a ride in one I wouldn't look at the Mercs. Quicker then I expected. With three people in the car Ed punched it at about 15mph in 2nd which just resulted in wheel spin and a fight with traction control. He let off and rolled back into it. The car pulls hard.

Members online

Back