Lincoln LS 302

Dude you seem like a wiring Guru. Thats a good thing in this swap and the thing I hate. Wiring! Or wire troubleshooting.

Clutch Switch

Connect DTR leads 10 and 12.

Clutch splice takes place between connectors 211 and 212.

Clutch.jpg

The gen1 solenoid pack is probably where I would look to take fan signals from, assuming you had a two-speed fan or two fans. One for low, one for high/ac. Seems like a relay and some wiring would give you what you want without reinventing the wheel. Or is that what the connectors are?

You should really really read this thread:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=70387

Of course, depends on what your "cooling fan control relay" is - certainly more pins than a plain relay. Looks like there's two CF5-4's.

Awesome, thanks!

I lucked out and bought a Gen1 S-Type fan with the controller/relay still on it.

No need to build my own.

Note - All of my pinouts are confirmed with All Data DIY.

The gen1 solenoid pack is probably where I would look to take fan signals from, assuming you had a two-speed fan or two fans. One for low, one for high/ac. Seems like a relay and some wiring would give you what you want without reinventing the wheel. Or is that what the connectors are?

Negative. It's a ground-controlled PWM signal. You *can* drive a relay from that, as I documented, but it will kill the relay, get stuck on, and can destroy your PCM. To do something like this would require enough circuitry to properly drive the relays that you might as well make a real fan controller. I mean, geeze, I wrote a dissertation on the topic! :D

Awesome, thanks!

I lucked out and bought a Gen1 S-Type fan with the controller/relay still on it.

No need to build my own.

Good luck! I hope the Gen 1 S-Type used the same signaling as the Gen 1 LS actuator. Gen 1 LS and Gen 2 LS cooling signals are quite different - PWM is inverted (Gen 1: 100% PWM = 0% Fan, Gen 2: 100% PWM = 100% Fan) and the period is quite different (~10ms vs 7ms), and the signalling is different (Gen 1: ground switched, Gen 2: positive switched). The LS Gen 1 signal is perfect for an actuator, and useless for a fan controller. Vice-versa for the LS Gen 2 signal. The S-Type fan might be expecting a LS Gen 2 signal. You can plug it up and see.. I did lots of testing with the car - it'll hit overheat in about 5 to 10 minutes idling in 70degree weather. Best way is to bribe someone with an S-Type and a scope to probe the line.

Anyway, please post your results in my thread for reference! That would have been much easier than making the adapter. ;)

At least one delta is the LS doesn't have a separate feed for the A/C signal - the PCM input changes (adds ~40% to/from the period as appropriate) when the compressor is engaged. I'm curious why the Jag has that separate line. Would be great to see some traces from the Jag PCM!

Negative. It's a ground-controlled PWM signal. You *can* drive a relay from that, as I documented, but it will kill the relay, get stuck on, and can destroy your PCM. To do something like this would require enough circuitry to properly drive the relays that you might as well make a real fan controller. I mean, geeze, I wrote a dissertation on the topic! :D

Good luck! I hope the Gen 1 S-Type used the same signaling as the Gen 1 LS actuator. Gen 1 LS and Gen 2 LS cooling signals are quite different - PWM is inverted (Gen 1: 100% PWM = 0% Fan, Gen 2: 100% PWM = 100% Fan) and the period is quite different (~10ms vs 7ms), and the signalling is different (Gen 1: ground switched, Gen 2: positive switched). The LS Gen 1 signal is perfect for an actuator, and useless for a fan controller. Vice-versa for the LS Gen 2 signal. The S-Type fan might be expecting a LS Gen 2 signal. You can plug it up and see.. I did lots of testing with the car - it'll hit overheat in about 5 to 10 minutes idling in 70degree weather. Best way is to bribe someone with an S-Type and a scope to probe the line.

Anyway, please post your results in my thread for reference! That would have been much easier than making the adapter. ;)

Thanks! Will do!!

At least one delta is the LS doesn't have a separate feed for the A/C signal - the PCM input changes (adds ~40% to/from the period as appropriate) when the compressor is engaged. I'm curious why the Jag has that separate line. Would be great to see some traces from the Jag PCM!

Thanks for all of the good information!

The Jag has a seperate trace from the A/C module. The ETAC on the LS doesn't have that trace for the cooling fan.

Sorry, by trace I meant oscilloscope trace of the signal on that CF5-5 pin.

With the PCM signal increasing with A/C, you might get a double-increase with also using the compressor clutch tap. This would be fun to play with. If I didn't have another gen 2 fan for my other project, I'd give this one a try. They're less common, but seem to sell for less than the LS fans.

Sorry, by trace I meant oscilloscope trace of the signal on that CF5-5 pin.

With the PCM signal increasing with A/C, you might get a double-increase with also using the compressor clutch tap. This would be fun to play with. If I didn't have another gen 2 fan for my other project, I'd give this one a try. They're less common, but seem to sell for less than the LS fans.

I just read your thread and I see what you are saying about the performance inversion.

I would assume that the S type is similiar to a Gen 2 LS cooling fan. I don't own an S Type to test however.

If I use a temperature sensor for the cooling fan signal (instead of the Gen 1 PCM lead), perhaps that will increase fan speed as the temperature goes up?

Let me see if I can find the range for the LS temperature sensors.

Nope. That, and most fan controllers, provide a high power PWM directly to the motor. The Gen 2 LS provides a PWM to the controller that is integrated into the motor - so it's a low power PWM. That Flex-a-lite module is somewhat similar to the module hanging on the side of the S-Type fan and is meant to provide variable speed control for a fan that doesn't have a controller. The delta from that early S-Type to the Gen 2 LS fan (and later S-Type fans) is the controller got completely integrated into the motor housing. I have some high-res pictures of it in the flickr feed linked from my thread.

A straight temp sender won't work either. They are just variable resistors. You'd have to use that as an input to a wave generator, at which point you've basically made the adapter circuit.

You can assemble a wave generator pretty easily using the schematics in my thread and connect that to the S-Type fan and see what happens. If it uses the same signaling as the Gen 2 LS, then you can use my adapter circuit. I can also assemble one for you and test on my ride, but I can only guarantee it'll work for a Gen 1 LS PCM controlling a Gen 2 LS fan.

These are my options:

1. Build a signal generator to reverse the PCM signal.

2. Purchase a Flex-A-Lite fan controller and ditch the, non-integrated, S Type controller completely.

3. Pay Oddball to build me a signal generator/converter for my S-Type cooling fan.

Oh, what to do? What to do? :)

These are my options:

1. Build a signal generator to reverse the PCM signal.

2. Purchase a Flex-A-Lite fan controller and ditch the, non-integrated, S Type controller completely.

3. Pay Oddball to build me a signal generator/converter for my S-Type cooling fan.

Oh, what to do? What to do? :)

Back in HS we would just put a switch on the dash for the electric fans. Seemed to work great, as long as you remember to turn them on and off. LOL :)

Engine and Transmission in Car

I put the engine and the transmission in the car today for an initial fitment. Everything went together great with a lot of room around engine bay.

You might notice that the oil pan is sitting on the crossmember, I am fabricating the mounts to raise it up to its final position.

Sorry about the poor quality, I used my phone to take the pictures.

EngineCar.jpg

EngineFrontSpace.jpg

HeaderClearance.jpg

ShifterBracket.jpg

ShifterHole.jpg

ShiftLink.jpg

TransmissionCar.jpg

TransMount.jpg

Are you planning to dress up the engine after everything works??

Please paint those valve covers ford blue.

Are you planning to dress up the engine after everything works??

Please paint those valve covers ford blue.

Yes, I want it to look good after it's finished. Right now I'll just scratch it all up.

I can't decide between Ferrari red krinkle, the new Ford blue, or satin black.

Wow, quite a bit of room all the way around. Guess fitment isn't an issue. Does the hood close with the elbow on the manifold?

Wow, quite a bit of room all the way around. Guess fitment isn't an issue. Does the hood close with the elbow on the manifold?

Yes, the throttle body is not an issue even with the tall intake and a 1" spacer. I can't wait to see it with the cross support and the covering!

There is 3" of clearance behind the engine between the firewall and heads.

The sides of the engine have at least 4" near the valve covers and ample room around the headers.

The front clearance is sufficient for the accessories and the S Type cooling fan.

I will keep you posted as the project progresses.

Nice work - looking forward to seeing the finished product... I like the LSx but this would be even better if you can get the car's original electronics to communicate with everything!

Members online

Back