2011-07-27_10-31-57_527.jpg

2011-07-27_10-32-17_802.jpg

2011-07-27_14-12-43_615.jpg

2011-07-27_14-12-51_498.jpg

2011-07-27_14-27-57_967.jpg

2011-07-27_14-28-30_787.jpg

2011-07-28_09-39-54_943.jpg

2011-07-28_09-40-24_942.jpg

Looks killer. Any idea how much more the cast iron block weighs, than the tecksid aluminum?

Looks killer. Any idea how much more the cast iron block weighs, than the tecksid aluminum?

I've read 40 to as much as 60 lbs.

If it's a problem, well we'll just have to work on that. Relocating the battery could just about break even. ;)

This is by no means a criticism, I'm just curious, why did you stick with the VIII intake manifold? Do you just want this to look 100% stock?

This is by no means a criticism, I'm just curious, why did you stick with the VIII intake manifold? Do you just want this to look 100% stock?

I have no reason to not stick with the Mark VIII manifold. There is a bit of mystique staying with the stock manifold, but honestly it just works.

The manifold has been worked over and flows very well. I have dyno runs and many timeslips that compare very well with any Cobra intake swap I have seen on a Mark VIII as well as most N/A 4.6L Cobras. I have no reason to doubt it flows as well as a run of the mill Cobra intake and I have no proof a short-runner Cobra intake would do better.

Until I see a dyno curve that tells me what the power band is or is not - I decided to stay with what I have. If it proves to be a bottle-neck, we will deal with it accordingly. Whether than means a Cobra intake or a sheet metal intake will depend entirely what the dyno outcome is. :)

Part of that equation will be the top rpm limit. It is speculated the EEC-IV PCM will not play well at 8000 rpms. If that is the case, I doubt a sheet metal intake will really benefit the build.

The thing that would concern me with the stock Gen 1 intake is even distribution of air to all of the cylinders. As the air enters at the rear, instead of nearer the center as with the Cobra intake, I'd be curious (and surprised) to see if it flowed nearly the same to all cylinders in real-world conditions. In addition, the larger volume of the Cobra intake also helps to balance the flow.

If the Gen 1 intake was as good as the Cobra intake, I don't think that Ford/SVT would have bothered with the tooling costs to create the Cobra intake.

Of course, I have no data to support my concern, so it's just an observation and a question.

this is awesome. keep it up!
i want my own 5.3l stroker mod motor.
some day...

i just licked my screen

:eek2::eek2::eek2::dj::yourock::yourock::yourock::yourock::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

can not wait for some real world #s. how much do you have in the build as it stands?

Thanks for all the props. :)

If the Gen 1 intake was as good as the Cobra intake, I don't think that Ford/SVT would have bothered with the tooling costs to create the Cobra intake.

We could speculate on that for a long time. My first thought is Ford/SVT wouldn't go with a "Lincoln" intake even if it was good.

All I'm saying is I will need to see more before I change. :shifty:

I too have had questions on flow balance from the plenum to the runners especially with the rear mount throttle body. I would expect to see a deeper plenum at the rear and shallower at the front for more balance? It would be interesting to mod another one and test them on a flow bench. :rolleyes:

I stumbled on this on kinsler.com...

ford_mod_proto.jpg

Ford modular V8 prototype manifold. Cast flanges with bent tube runners. F2LE-9424-B13E stamped on bottom.

Of course there are several production intakes with end-mounted throttle bodies vs. mid-mount. Sheet metal intakes seem to come in both flavors as well.

I've created a monster! :eek:

We couldn't get a full pull on the car. When we got around 5200 it acts like it almost downshifts or the converter unlocks? Might be the converter can't hold it? :confused:

Highest HP to the wheels was 324 just before it dives and tries to come back. Torque flat from 4000 rpms to 5200 before it dives. Peak torque 328. We were shooting for 12.8 A/F at WOT to be safe.

My gut feel is if we could've gotten it to pull to 6500, we would've been close to 400 RWHP.

The car feels 500 pounds lighter on the street and tears the tires through 1st into second before it even thinks about hooking. Sounds healthy. :)

mini-IMG-20110805-00100.jpg

mini-IMG-20110805-00101.jpg

Lookin Good, Lots of potential. Hope you work out the kinks soon with lots of good events coming up.

Lookin Good, Lots of potential. Hope you work out the kinks soon with lots of good events coming up.

Thanks, it looks to be an exciting fall season. ;)

It will be like starting over however. First up would be Summer Blast X, followed by some local Flashlight Drags, maybe one of the NMRA events at Columbus or Bowling Green, the SuperCoupe Shootout and of course the Super Southern HeavyWeight Shootout. :D

is this the most powerful NA mark?

I doubt it but you never know. It's like the fastest gun in the wild west... there's usually someone out there faster. You just hope not to meet him! :D

Can't wait to read the results at the track ... Good Luck ...

I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, but I hope to see the results of my tribulations soon. ;)

I doubt it but you never know. It's like the fastest gun in the wild west... there's usually someone out there faster. You just hope not to meet him! :D

haha. true!
i do remember that tiltedhalo had a very potent 2nd gen, but i don't remember seeing any actual numbers or dyno sheets.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back