Gen 2 LED Tail Light build for Sequential

Looks like it was made by Whelen, Code 3, maybe Federal Signal. :D

can you send me a list of all the parts and where to get them so i can attempt it for my gen one i have access to a couple of extra tail sections, and would be interested in doing this to my car. any more pics would help also. thanks

1. About a billion LEDs.
2. Soldering gun.
3. About 4 pounds of solder.
4. Import some Chinese kids to do the soldering for you.

Personally, I don't care whether or not I have sequentials, so I just plan on using a few premade LED strips off eBay.

Looks like it was made by Whelen, Code 3, maybe Federal Signal. :D

1. About a billion LEDs.
2. Soldering gun.
3. About 4 pounds of solder.
4. Import some Chinese kids to do the soldering for you.

Personally, I don't care whether or not I have sequentials, so I just plan on using a few premade LED strips off eBay.

thought about getting a strobe module for it, it would look like something from federal signal for sure...

That looks sick! Reminds me of this...
07lincolnmkx_0988.jpg

If I were doing a Gen 1 car I would just swap out the bulb holders for dual element holders (from the parts store) and buy LED bulbs (no heat).
then run wires from the sequencer for the break/turn portion.
I got all of my LED's from superbrightled
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/leds.htmsequential box from webelectric
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm, if you want chase and sequential you can use the one from merit4 but I believe he quoted me like 180 for one to do 4 segments per side.They do look nice. http://www.meter4it.com/
If you go with DIY route you'll also need resistors and diodes which can be found just about anyplace as well as the formula to get the right parts for the LED's you pick. Here is a good one. http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
Ive seen a few Gen 1's online and I think a member here has done one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRHX6FEz7Wg
IIRC, Infarc, the guy who made this video, had some problems with fried switches and fire hazards with that set up. i think thats why his write up link does'nt work anymore. i believe his sequential setup there isnt led's, but incandescant bulbs. read his comments on his you tube page for more info.

that is very cool! i was setting in mc Donalds last week and noticed smoke coming out of my trunk..yep the ballast took a crap stunk up the whole car.yeh you really need to tint that.

I really need to get a video an pics up of the chase setup module I got from Gary @ meter4it.com up on youtube or somewhere, it looks sweet with incandecent bulbs... :D

I really need to get a video an pics up of the chase setup module I got from Gary @ meter4it.com up on youtube or somewhere, it looks sweet with incandecent bulbs... :D

I thought about getting that one, but for 180 its more than double the price of the one I got.

The guys at webelectric are nice (and were helpful when I called), but the regular sequential module just doesn't beat the chase sequence Gary has imho, lol (plus his has the option to do seq, and all lights as well) ;) ... I just really, really love the chase with incandescent lights. It's similar but slightly different than regular sequential lights :)
I really want to see your setup completed with led bar, thats going to be nice!

i have a 4 light strobe module in my car. i have a blue strobe and a red strobe in my front headlights, and same in the reverse buckets, but i just removed the reverse strobes sunday and put my reverse lights back in, i cant see at night when i back up from my dark tint, so i am not sure what i am going to do with the two i removed from the rear. i never turn them on anyway!

a862c9a0.jpg

Followed this on the way home tonight, this is the kind of pic I was looking for...

I used red. With white the red lens would just filter everything else out.

I say you need a diffuser, and tint them, direct led's look cheesy all the little dots, and theya re way bright. I think it's a good potential project, if you perfect it I have a donor tail light like Jamie does, ready and waiting. My neon is broken and I'd rather do something custom for a repair rather than fix the stock stuff, as that is my theme for the car, fix all the broken stuff with custom, lol.

I don't mind the look of individual LEDs showing, but it will probably look a bit odd if the other taillights are stock.

I'm definitely in for this too! I'm working on trying to add some driving lights in the lower front corner valance. Like one strip of less. Think the new Taurus sho. I also like this led lit vents on the corner panels.

When you finish with this project, you should make a how to and also have the mods make it a sticky. This is something that the whole Mark VIII forum benefit from. It looks great and I can't wait to see the finished product.

That's cool. Have you thought about putting a diffuser on the back of the red lense, something like a waxed paper transparency, it may take away some of the harshness of the brake light and blend all of the lights together in a softer light. Just an idea, since you went this far. Lot of thought and work into that project, Good for you

I picked up a light lens panel (clear textured prism for overhead lights 2x4) and cut the template. I'll lay it in and put a little heat to it to mold it to the light. I think you'll still see the individual led's somewhat but it should give it that prismatic effect of the factory tail lights.
I'll get pictures up once I'm finished.
Lots of little details for a tail light... I think it will be worth it in the end.

hey i know what you are talking about on that lense, i have a 4 bulb flourescent light in my shop with one of them lenses, i think it might work out quite well if its between the leds and the red lense of the neon.

That's cool. Have you thought about putting a diffuser on the back of the red lense, something like a waxed paper transparency, it may take away some of the harshness of the brake light and blend all of the lights together in a softer light. Just an idea, since you went this far. Lot of thought and work into that project, Good for you

lol...

I say you need a diffuser...

I wonder how much better it would look, I bet 10x at least! :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back