Front End Squeaking

Sounds like ball joints and outer tie rods.

I'll probably just do the full front end rehab. I'm acquiring the parts now. Have to wait until I get the new Eibachs first.

jack the front end off the ground get under it with the tires off and have someone turn the wheel back and fourth, you'll be able to pinpoint it, i had a 98 lsc at my shop sunday for a horendous front end noise and it had a squeak like an old rocking chair and it turned out to be the pass upper control arm, which i just put in 8 months ago, but the guy i did the job for supplied me with a huge chinese pos control arm and guess what, like i told him before i put it in it wouldnt last a year, and guess whats getting replaced saturday lol!!!
not to mention he never got it alligned after i told him to do it asap. he has put 18,000 miles on it since i did the front end on a bad allignment this is what his front wheels look like.
rickswheel.jpg

rickswheel2.jpg

i love when people dont listen to me and then get all mad when something only 8 months old fails.

If it is a squeak and is contant, I would look at the UCA and LCA bushings. In my years of fiddling on cars, I have not come across a BJ or TRE squeak, especially when it is metal to metal on those parts when bad. But a poly or rubber bushing does squeak.

squeaks in the mark front end is 9 times out of 10 a ball joint, they are notorious in this crap front end. just ask members who have let them go for so long that they launch a ball joint and wipe out a fender and a wheel!

I have a new creaking type sound, like its under the dash, or pass door. Cannot duplicate it.
It's not tied in with going over bumps, or while turning or braking. Notice it the most on smooth rodes.

Front end has been rebuilt with moog/trw. Arnott uppers and air.

lower control arm

squeaks in the mark front end is 9 times out of 10 a ball joint, they are notorious in this crap front end. just ask members who have let them go for so long that they launch a ball joint and wipe out a fender and a wheel!

I am backing Jamie on this as I just went through all this and almost wiped out a driver side fender because the "new LCA" went to s h i t.The taper on the CHICOM trash ball joint does not match the OEM spindle which causes the nyloc nut (dumb phuckin idea) to back off and develop one h e l l of a sqeaking noise and at some point will beat the threads off the balljoint causing catastrophic suspension failure$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.Dont use the CHICOM trash whatsoever.

greg go on ebay and type in mark VIII upper control arm, arnott has a deal going on with both uppers for 100 bucks free shipping you cannot beat it they are trw arms not chinese junk i have used them on many marks with zero problems. you cant beat that price even on rockauto.

That is a super killer pricefor UCAs! Thats what will be replacing my crappy chinese SCP crappidy crap when I have the fundages.

I saw on Sapperfires car what happens when a LCA ball joint breaks and it wasnt pretty. :(

On Jaime's advice I just ordered the Arnott uppers. For $190 spent including shipping I have managed to get a set of Moog lowers and now TRW uppers. Now I have to piece together the rest of the front end.

I'm getting ready to order new UCA's, LCA's, sway bar links, front and rear strut rod bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends, and a new P/S air spring/shock unit for my wife's '97 LSC. We're going to completely rebuild the front end. Hopefully that'll make it drive better and quit squeaking and creaking all the time.

Got the UCA's from Arnott and were surprised when I open the box and they were not only dusty but had dirt and grease on them in places. They almost look like they were on someones car for a week before being taken off, not at all like brand new never used parts.
I've never handled new parts and then had to wash my hands because they turned brown before.

UCAs

I was going to install my new ucas that I bought from arnot and let me tell you one of them was bent and they are not trw or moog rebuilds(at least these werent)They were the same casting as the chicom knockoffs.If you compare a moog casting with a chicom you can really tell the difference.Just beware.I called the lady at Arnot to ask her were these supposed to be trw rebuilds and she told me no.Had I known that I wouldnt have bought them.Be advised everyone.

After taking a closer look, one of the ball joints has surface rust on it. No stamping marks on them except to tell the left from right side. Now I am worried that I will install them and have to redo them in 6 months. If I send them back I have to give up 20% plus the cost of shipping. They seriously just look like some old arms that someone spray painted and put ball joints into.

crap

Did you get them from arnot?If so, sounds like they are selling substandard parts and that aint good.If they are rusty already I would demand all the money back and if they say no just let them know what bad press they will get out of it.I am going to pick mine up now.

Light surface rust. It looks like they sat on the shelf for a long time. I am going to install them and cross my fingers.

whatever they are selling now is not what they used to. i'm sorry for anyone who has bought them after me telling them too, in the past i have gotten trw arms from arnott that were perfect. you can clearly see the pictures in their auction on ebay are not the same control arms you guys are getting in the mail. so i wont reccomend them anymore, now we can all say that NOTHING they sell is any good.

Members online

Back