McCain pick - Sarah Palin merged thread?????

Again, Biden isn't that stupid to try either of those approaches, considering the ex-Hillarites.

Ever try and tell a woman what she can and can't do with her own body? Those are the women McCain is trying to pull. Palin better be as charming as she is good-looking, to have a chance.

-

Edit: Monster, good idea to merge both this and the Palin thread?
I dunno, Deville, Biden's pretty stupid. You've heard his "Indian accent in the 7/11" comment? He's certainly stupid enough to plagiarize and get caught at it.

+1 on merging the threads.

Edit: Rush is all over Palin. I KNEW I WAS RIGHT!

an anti-choice(pro-life) candidate isn't going to be appealing to the vast majority of them.

If you are a one-issue voter (ie: pro-choice), of course, this pick won't matter.

But what this pick will do is open women's eyes to the issue of abortion.

If you think her pro-life stance is going to shoo away the majority of women, I think you are mistaken. She gains more than she loses, imho.

Well this certainly adds some excitement to the McCain campaign and the timing of the announcement steals Obama's post speech glow in the MSM who will be all about Palin tonight.

Another angle (that will be brought up) not working for her, the "what if" McCain has a heart attack or another incapacitating illness. She has less overall experience than even Obama.

(I wiki'd)
Mayor of a town with a pop of 5k. (10 years)
Gov for two years.

I don't know, gut instinct tell me this will backfire on the GOP.

If you are a one-issue voter (ie: pro-choice), of course, this pick won't matter.

But what this pick will do is open women's eyes to the issue of abortion.

Here is a woman that has everything it seems. Hard working husband, family, career, etc. Why would she decide to keep this last child when Obama has made it so easy to destroy it, even if it survives the initial murder attempt. I'm sure Obama would have been happy to put a pillow over the infants face soon after birth.

If you think her pro-life stance is going to shoo away the majority of women, I think you are mistaken. She gains more than she loses, imho.

While true, telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies is an issue women take VERY seriously, also considering they have their yes set on the Hillary crowd. Going to be a hard sell.

Not the majority of women in all of America, the majority of woman McCain is hoping to pull from Obama. See?

Bet you Bill Clinton is kicking himself in the ass for picking Al Gore. I'm sure Bill would have been calling for meetings with the VP every hour on the hour.

Hillary wouldn't have allowed a female VP, much to Bill's displeasure.

I will admit it is somewhat anecdotal, and based in Kansas (so my basis for this judgement is limited), but a lot of female Hillary supporters I personally know will now be voting for McCain due to this move, and they are pro-choice.

I would agree with Bryan that her positives will far outweigh her negatives as far as Hillary supporters are concerned. But ultimately only time will tell.

When it comes to the angle that the mainstream media and the Dem's will attack her and try to drive a wedge between Palin and Hillary supporters, I think you nailed it on the head, Deville...

I will admit it is somewhat anecdotal, and based in Kansas (so my basis for this judgement is limited), but a lot of female Hillary supporters I personally know will now be voting for McCain due to this move, and they are pro-choice.

Same here the one I know will flip just because shes a woman.
If she can pull out the conservative base to support McCain and drag some of the female vote over then its a great pick..... time will tell.

McCAIN_MILF.gif

Palin's nickname in high school basketball was "barracuda". LOL

What is so sweet is that Pelosi now has to take orders from another woman. LMAO!

About these so-called Hillary supporters... Doesn't anyone remember Rush's "Operation Chaos"? I have the feeling many of these people who claim to be jumping ship to McCain never would have voted for her in the general anyway. The vast majority of them I've heard interviewed or read comments from sound more like Bryan than they do Democrats or even independents. It's never about the issues, let alone abortion rights or health care, it's all about hating Obama for one reason or another.

About these so-called Hillary supporters... Doesn't anyone remember Rush's "Operation Chaos"? I have the feeling many of these people who claim to be jumping ship to McCain never would have voted for her in the general anyway. The vast majority of them I've heard interviewed or read comments from sound more like Bryan than they do Democrats or even independents. It's never about the issues, let alone abortion rights or health care, it's all about hating Obama for one reason or another.

Well the one I am talking about sleeps in the same bed with me.
I am sure she is going to do what she says :rolleyes:
And I dont think she is "the only one "
I would think there are more.
It has nothing to do with Obama.

Another angle (that will be brought up) not working for her, the "what if" McCain has a heart attack or another incapacitating illness. She has less overall experience than even Obama.

(I wiki'd)
Gov for two years.

Less experience then Obama? That is questionable at best. Look at the type of experience. She has much more leadership experinence then Obama, Biden and (in many ways) McCain. She has served in executive positions. None of those three have. Her inclusion on the GOP ticket makes it the strongest one for effective, decisive executive leadership. There is a reason Senator's are hardly ever elected president.

Not so sure it is about hating Obama, but this election is a referendum on Obama more then anything else...

Bob, lots of people have heard of her. Maybe the elite smart-set in Kalifornia don't know much about her, but in the heartland she's well known. She's one of the most popular governors in the nation, and her energy/drilling policies mean McCain will most likely flip on ANWR. She's pro life, pro gun (NRA member),anti corruption, and anti pork.

As far as experience, she has more executive experience than Obama does. And as far as foreign experience, HELLO...her state borders two foreign countries.

Conservs have been hoping she'd be the pick, and I'm one of them. I think you sorely underestimate this pick.

Bodering two countries does not make her an expert in foreign relations.
If Anwar was the goal. then why not make her energy secretary, not vice president?
She has no experience other than governing a state that has fewer people living it than what live in Los Angeles county alone.
The seriousness of this must be considered, and not playing games trying to out snart the opposing team.
The dems pick a black, and refuse a woman vice president so, in an effort to get "some of the hillary votes", Mc cain picks a woman.
That is the reason plain and simple why she is going to be on the ticket.
With the crisis going on around the world, and in this country, we need well qualified leaders, and God forbid something happens to Mc Cain, this is the best we can hope for in a qualified person to take over?
Once again, this choicer was pure politics in an effort to get votes.
Shouldn'.t decisions like this be made on what is best for the country?
Obviously, this one isn't
Bob.

Less experience then Obama? That is questionable at best. Look at the type of experience. She has much more leadership experinence then Obama, Biden and (in many ways) McCain. She has served in executive positions. None of those three have. Her inclusion on the GOP ticket makes it the strongest one for effective, decisive executive leadership. There is a reason Senator's are hardly ever elected president.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the choice of a VP supposed to be someone who wuld compliment the presidential nominee in areas he(or she) is lacking, thereby making the best situation possible for America as a whole. What exactly does she bring that McCain doesn't already have himself?

Granted, she was Mayor for 10 years, but of a town of 5k people. Completely different sport than being #2 of the worlds (for the time being) most powerful nation.

(I wiki'd)
Gov for two years.

As already stated, what qualification does Obama have?
Lawyer. Professor. Community activist. Marxist. 1 term junior senator, a seat that he won in what was basically an uncontested race (vs. Alan Keynes).

Has Obama EVER made a decision that he had to stand behind? A decision where he didn't argue both sides? NO. Hell, has he or his wife even held regular jobs?

Of course not. Palin has worked regular jobs, her husband seems like a real mans-man. Hunting, fishing, racing snow mobiles. This is such a refreshing contrast from the parade of Yaleys and Harvard educated dofuses that have been parading through the executive branch in recent years.

Additionally, she has a strong history as an aggressive reformer and fiscal conservative. In the meantime, Obama is desperately trying to bury any and all scandals regarding his association with domestic terrorists and his Chicago corruption. (be it Rezko or the sweet heart salary his wife "earned")

Palin appears to be the American story. She wanted to improve her community and got involved in the PTA, then because of her ability and skill quickly was elevated to Mayor, and then governor. She's EXACTLY what people always say they want in office- a good person, with good judgment, who's honest with integrity. Not some career politician. Not some beltway insider.

I was cool on the idea of Palin as a VP until I read her biography and some of the articles written about her last year. I'm enthused by the prospects that we might have a young, AMERICAN Maggie Thatcher in our generation.

Additionally, you can tell that Obama's people are wetting themselves right now. Rather than taking the high, dignified, and classy road, they've already rolled out the attack machine. McCain would have suspended his ads today and instead run a short commercial congratulating his opponents VP choice and the historic nature of the selection.

Not Obama. McCain completely sucked the oxygen out of the Barrackolips display last night. No one is even talking about his marxist rally last night. So within about an hour, the Obama people were releasing press releases attacking Palin, and getting the talking heads out to trash her.

Also, don't believe the hype, Biden IS NOT a great debater. He's an egotistic blow hard. If he's not talking about HIMSELF, or offending someone, he's stealing someone else's prose. He's aggressive, but it's easy to look like a foreign policy guru when you're sharing the stage with Hillary, Obama, and Mike Gravel.

The Most Popular Governor
Alaska's Sarah Palin is the GOP's newest star.
by Fred Barnes
07/16/2007, Volume 012, Issue 41

Juneau
The wipeout in the 2006 election left Republicans in such a state of dejection that they've overlooked the one shining victory in which a Republican star was born. The triumph came in Alaska where Sarah Palin, a politician of eye-popping integrity, was elected governor. She is now the most popular governor in America, with an approval rating in the 90s, and probably the most popular public official in any state.

Her rise is a great (and rare) story of how adherence to principle--especially to transparency and accountability in government--can produce political success. And by the way, Palin is a conservative who only last month vetoed 13 percent of the state's proposed budget for capital projects. The cuts, the Anchorage Daily News said, "may be the biggest single-year line-item veto total in state history."

As recently as last year, Palin (pronounced pale-in) was a political outcast. She resigned in January 2004 as head of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission after complaining to the office of Governor Frank Murkowski and to state Attorney General Gregg Renkes about ethical violations by another commissioner, Randy Ruedrich, who was also Republican state chairman.

State law barred Palin from speaking out publicly about ethical violations and corruption. But she was vindicated later in 2004 when Ruedrich, who'd been reconfirmed as state chairman, agreed to pay a $12,000 fine for breaking state ethics laws. She became a hero in the eyes of the public and the press, and the bane of Republican leaders.

In 2005, she continued to take on the Republican establishment by joining Eric Croft, a Democrat, in lodging an ethics complaint against Renkes, who was not only attorney general but also a long-time adviser and campaign manager for Murkowski. The governor reprimanded Renkes and said the case was closed. It wasn't. Renkes resigned a few weeks later, and Palin was again hailed as a hero.

Palin, 43, the mother of four, passed up a chance to challenge Republican senator Lisa Murkowski, the then-governor's daughter, in 2004. She endorsed another candidate in the primary, but Murkowski won and was reelected. Palin said then that her 14-year-old son talked her out of running, though it's doubtful that was the sole reason.

In 2006, she didn't hesitate. She ran against Gov. Murkowski, who was seeking a second term despite sagging poll ratings, in the Republican primary. In a three-way race, Palin captured 51 percent and won in a landslide. She defeated former Democratic governor Tony Knowles in the general election, 49 percent to 41 percent. She was one of the few Republicans anywhere in the country to perform above expectations in 2006, an overwhelmingly Democratic year. Palin is unabashedly pro life.

With her emphasis on ethics and openness in government, "it turned out Palin caught the temper of the times perfectly," wrote Tom Kizzia of the Anchorage Daily News. She was also lucky. News broke of an FBI investigation of corruption by legislators between the primary and general elections. So far, three legislators have been indicted.

In the roughly three years since she quit as the state's chief regulator of the oil industry, Palin has crushed the Republican hierarchy (virtually all male) and nearly every other foe or critic. Political analysts in Alaska refer to the "body count" of Palin's rivals. "The landscape is littered with the bodies of those who crossed Sarah," says pollster Dave Dittman, who worked for her gubernatorial campaign. It includes Ruedrich, Renkes, Murkowski, gubernatorial contenders John Binkley and Andrew Halcro, the three big oil companies in Alaska, and a section of the Daily News called "Voice of the Times," which was highly critical of Palin and is now defunct.

One of her first acts as governor was to fire the Alaska Board of Agriculture. Her ultimate target was the state Creamery Board, which has been marketing the products of Alaska dairy farmers for 71 years and wanted to close down after receiving $600,000 from the state. "You don't just close your doors and walk away," Palin told me. She discovered she lacked the power to fire the Creamery Board. Only the board of agriculture had that authority. So Palin replaced the agriculture board, which appointed a new creamery board, which has rescinded the plan to shut down.

In preserving support for dairy farmers, Palin exhibited a kind of Alaskan chauvinism. She came to the state as an infant, making her practically a native. And she is eager to keep Alaska free from domination by oil companies or from reliance on cruise lines whose ships bring thousands of tourists to the state.

"She's as Alaskan as you can get," says Dan :q:q:qan, an Anchorage radio talk show host. "She's a hockey mom, she lives on a lake, she ice fishes, she snowmobiles, she hunts, she's an NRA member, she has a float plane, and her husband works for BP on the North Slope," :q:q:qan says. Todd Palin, her high school sweetheart, is a three-time winner of the 2,000-mile Iron Dog snowmobile race from Wasilla to Nome to Fairbanks. It's the world's longest snowmobile race.

Gov. Palin grew up in Wasilla, where as star of her high school basketball team she got the nickname "Sarah Barracuda" for her fierce competitiveness. She led her underdog team to the state basketball championship. Palin also won the Miss Wasilla beauty contest, in which she was named Miss Congeniality, and went on to compete in the Miss Alaska pageant.

At 32, she was elected mayor of Wasilla, a burgeoning bedroom community outside Anchorage. Though Alaskans tend to be ferociously anti-tax, she persuaded Wasilla voters to increase the local sales tax to pay for an indoor arena and convention center. The tax referendum won by 20 votes.

In 2002, Palin entered statewide politics, running for lieutenant governor. She finished a strong second in the Republican primary. That fall, she dutifully campaigned for Murkowski, who'd given up his Senate seat to run for governor. Afterwards, she turned down several job offers from Murkowski, finally accepting the oil and gas post. When she quit 11 months later, "that was her defining moment" in politics, says :q:q:qan.

Her campaign for governor was bumpy. She missed enough campaign appearances to be tagged "No Show Sarah" by her opponents. She was criticized for being vague on issues. But she sold voters on the one product that mattered: herself.

Her Christian faith--Palin grew up attending nondenominational Bible churches--was a minor issue in the race. She told me her faith affects her politics this way: "I believe everything happens for a purpose. In my own personal life, if I dedicated back to my Creator what I'm trying to create for the good . . . everything will turn out fine." That same concept applies to her political career, she suggested.

The biggest issue in the campaign was the proposed natural gas pipeline from the North Slope that's crucial to the state's economy. Murkowski had made a deal with the three big oil companies--Exxon, BP, ConocoPhillips--which own the gas reserves to build the pipeline. But the legislature turned it down and Palin promised to create competition for the pipeline contract.

She made three other promises: to end corruption in state government, cut spending, and provide accountability. She's now redeeming those promises.

Palin describes herself as "pro-business and pro-development." She doesn't want the oil companies to sit on their energy reserves or environmental groups to block development of the state's resources. "I get frustrated with folks from outside Alaska who come up and say you shouldn't develop your resources," she says. Alaska needs to be self-sufficient, she says, instead of relying heavily on "federal dollars," as the state does today.

Her first major achievement as governor was lopsided passage by the legislature of the Alaska Gasline Inducement Act, which is designed to attract pipeline proposals this summer. The state is offering $500 million in incentives, but the developer must meet strict requirements. The oil companies have said they won't join the competition.

Palin's tough spending cuts drew criticism from Republican legislators whose pet projects were vetoed. But her popularity doesn't appear threatened. "It's not just that she's pretty and young," says Dittman. "She's really smart. And there's no guile. She says her favorite meal is moose stew or mooseburgers. It wouldn't shock people if that were true."

Fred Barnes is executive editor of THE WEEKLY STANDARD.

(EDIT) That "censor" feature really needs to be reconsidered. /fay-gan/ shouldn't be censored.

You're right about Obama lacking experience. Point was, the GOP was and is attacking him on that angle, which is a much smarter choice than all those "Barackopolis" and the like nonsense. But now they went and nominated someone lacking experience themselves, seems like a foot-in-the-mouth manuever, since the "honest all American girl" image will only get you so far.

She also blundered in her speech this morning, she made a "I'm an anti good-old-boy network politician" remark; the crowd did not respond well to that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the choice of a VP supposed to be someone who would compliment the presidential nominee in areas he(or she) is lacking, thereby making the best situation possible for America as a whole. What exactly does she bring that McCain doesn't already have himself?

Executive experience...

Granted, she was Mayor for 10 years, but of a town of 5k people. Completely different sport than being #2 of the worlds (for the time being) most powerful nation.

some executive experience is better then none. Obama, Biden and McCain have no executive experience.

You can try to down play it all you want, but the fact remains that she has more executive leadership experience then any of the other 3 candidates for president or VP.

You're right about Obama lacking experience. Point was, the GOP was and is attacking him on that angle, which is a much smarter choice than all those "Barackopolis" and the like nonsense. But now they went and nominated someone lacking experience themselves, seems like a foot-in-the-mouth manuever, since the "honest all American girl" image will only get you so far.

No, it isn't a "foot-in-mouth" thing. She still has more executive experience then the other three combined.

And the experience attack on Obama is justified when compared to McCain because they are running for president. Palin is nominated for VP. Her best comparison is to Biden, who she has more executive experience then.

Trying to draw comparisons between her political inexperience and Obama's is not really that relevant, and kinda distracts from the issue.

While true, telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies is an issue women take VERY seriously, also considering they have their yes set on the Hillary crowd. Going to be a hard sell.

Not the majority of women in all of America, the majority of woman McCain is hoping to pull from Obama. See?
You're missing one other important factor. McCain has needed to draw conservatives back into the fold. Conservatives who are disillusioned at his rather watered down conservative record. In choosing Palin, he has secured and solidified his conservative base. Those who swore they would stay home on 11/04 will now show up in waves to vote him into office.

I'm living proof of this.

You can throw "executive experience" around all you like, but not all executive exp. is created equal. Mayor of a town of 5k and the Gov of Alaska, which as Bob noted above, has a pop. of less than LA county. IMO, this is going to blow up in the GOP face.

You're missing one other important factor. McCain has needed to draw conservatives back into the fold. Conservatives who are disillusioned at his rather watered down conservative record. In choosing Palin, he has secured and solidified his conservative base. Those who swore they would stay home on 11/04 will now show up in waves to vote him into office.

I'm living proof of this.

Honestly, just how many of these born-again-voters do you think there are, enough to change the tide?

Members online

No members online now.
Back