McCain pick - Sarah Palin merged thread?????

Breaking News - McCain selects Alaska Governor Sarah Palin for VP

Alaska Gov. Palin to be Named as McCain Running Mate
by FOXNews.com
Friday, August 29, 2008

DAYTON, Ohio — John McCain will introduce Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice presidential running mate at an event here at noon Friday, senior campaign sources confirmed to FOX News.

Palin emerged earlier in the day as the hot name in the VP sweepstakes after reports circulated that two short-listers — Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty — were out of the running.

Adding fuel to the Palin candidacy was a report that a charter aircraft from Anchorage owned by a McCain supporter had arrived at a small airport outside Dayton, Ohio, where McCain has scheduled a noon ET rally to announce his choice.

FOX News reported the jet flew to Flagstaff, Ariz., on Thursday before heading landing in Middletown, Ohio.

Palin is considered a rising star in the Republican Party. She is the state’s first female governor, the mother of five — and at 44 is its youngest chief executive.

FOX News confirmed Thursday that McCain had made his selection and would appear with his pick at the Dayton rally.

Born in Idaho, Palin moved to Alaska with her parents, to Charles and Sally Heath, when she was 3 months old.

She grew up in Wasilla, just outside of Anchorage, and played on the Wasilla state championship girls’ basketball team. She was crowned Miss Wasilla in 1984 and was a runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant.

Palin studied journalism and political science at the University of Idaho and graduated in 1987. She eloped with her high school boyfriend, Todd Palin, in 1988 to save money on an expensive wedding. She helped out in her husband’s family commercial fishing business and appeared occasionally as a television sportscaster.

Palin won a seat on the Wasilla City Council in 1992 as a new face and a new voice, and by opposing tax increases. Four years later she was elected mayor at 32 by knocking off a three-term incumbent. At the end of her second term, party leaders encouraged her to enter the 2002 race for the Republican nomination for lieutenant governor. Against veteran legislators with far more experience, Palin finished second by fewer than 2,000 votes, making a name for herself in statewide politics. She was elected Alaska’s youngest and first woman governor in 2006.

Sarah and Todd Palin have five children: boys Track, 19, and Trig, 4 months, and daughters Bristol, 17, Willow, 13, and Piper, 7. Track Palin joined the Army last September and will deploy to Iraq on Sept. 11. Palin gave birth to Trig, who has Down syndrome, in April and returned to work three days later.

Palin will be the second female vice presidential candidate from a major political party. The first was New York Rep. Geraldine Ferrarro, who was Walter Mondale’s Democratic running mate in 1984.

Earlier in the day, sources told FOX News that Romney was not going to be McCain’s choice, even
though the former Massachusetts governor is scheduled to appear at the
Dayton rally.

And Pawlenty told a Minneapolis radio station that he was not going to be in Dayton for the McCain announcement.

“I’m going to be at the [Minnesota] state fair,” Pawlenty said on WCCO.

“I will not be in Dayton, Ohio, so I think that’s a fair
assumption,” the Minnesota governor said when asked if this was an
indication that he would not be McCain’s running mate.

“It was an honor to be considered,” he added.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who like Romney was a rival to
McCain in the primaries, sent an e-mail to supporters on Thursday
evening saying he would not be at the rally. Sources later told FOX
News that Huckabee was not in the running.

Bob, lots of people have heard of her. Maybe the elite smart-set in Kalifornia don't know much about her, but in the heartland she's well known. She's one of the most popular governors in the nation, and her energy/drilling policies mean McCain will most likely flip on ANWR. She's pro life, pro gun (NRA member),anti corruption, and anti pork.

As far as experience, she has more executive experience than Obama does. And as far as foreign experience, HELLO...her state borders two foreign countries.

Conservs have been hoping she'd be the pick, and I'm one of them. I think you sorely underestimate this pick.

All in all, I think a good choice. Palin will help McCain swing many of the "undecided" Hillary supporters. She is about as far removed from Washington D.C. as you can get, in contrast to Obama and Biden. However, I am surprised that Romney was passed over with the economy as the #1 issue for Americans this year.

:iconcur:

I see your point Lincoln, but economy is a wash, b/c Palin brings drilling in ANWR and good energy policy, equals lower gas prices, equals better economy.

Sure the fact that she is a conservative is the only reason....:)

Palin.jpg

Miss Wasilla circa 1984.jpg

milf.jpg

I see your point Lincoln, but economy is a wash, b/c Palin brings drilling in ANWR and good energy policy, equals lower gas prices, equals better economy.

I did not yet consider the ANWR angle, but that is an excellent point. Lower fuel prices and energy independence will appeal broadly. This will become VERY interesting. I am looking forward to any debates between Palin and Biden. As I've read, Biden is a formidable debate opponent. He won't be able to beat up on Palin as much as he could have Romney, Pawlenty, etc. due to the female angle and the public's perception.

Somebody get me some popcorn...

Biden is going to tear her a new one come the debates.

IF she was chosen to pull female ex-Hillarites into the McCain camp, her anti-choice stance on abortion is going to be a hard pill to swallow.

Wonder how much they are gonna rip on her for having a child with Down's syndrome.

Of course the criticism will be of her being a terrible mom because she is so busy. Just watch.

Obamamama, say goodbye to half your feminist Hillary supporters.:waving:

Bob, lots of people have heard of her. Maybe the elite smart-set in Kalifornia don't know much about her, but in the heartland she's well known. She's one of the most popular governors in the nation, and her energy/drilling policies mean McCain will most likely flip on ANWR. She's pro life, pro gun (NRA member),anti corruption, and anti pork.

As far as experience, she has more executive experience than Obama does. And as far as foreign experience, HELLO...her state borders two foreign countries.

Conservs have been hoping she'd be the pick, and I'm one of them. I think you sorely underestimate this pick.

Does this mean you are going to the polls ?
Or are you still planning to stay home.

I don't think he's that stupid to try either of those tactics on her, considering the Hillary supporters.

Wonder how much they are gonna rip on her for having a child with Down's syndrome.

Of course the criticism will be of her being a terrible mom because she is so busy. Just watch.

The fact that she is staunchly pro-life, with 5 children, and one with Down's Syndrome is almost the perfect scenario for McCain in courting the religious right and the party base. Nobody from Obama's camp will raise an issue over the Down's Syndrome - that would be suicide.

Biden is going to tear her a new one come the debates.

Fossten made a good point on this. Also, how relevant are the VP debates? do most people pay attention to them? In the main debates, McCain is gonna OWN Obama, judging by the whole saddleback thing...

IF she was chosen to pull female ex-Hillarites into the McCain camp, her anti-choice stance on abortion is going to be a hard pill to swallow.

Very good point... but anger at the DNC and Obama may outweigh that...

The fact that she is staunchly pro-life, with 5 children, and one with Down's Syndrome is almost the perfect scenario for McCain in courting the religious right and the party base. Nobody from Obama's camp will raise an issue over the Down's Syndrome - that would be suicide.

That's what is confusing to me, McCain basically had those groups in the bag already, as they certainly wouldn't vote Lib/Dem and I doubt there would have been masses of people just not voting. So why cater to them more?

Bryan had hoped for a female candidate to pull ex-Hillarites into the McCain side, an anti-choice(pro-life) candidate isn't going to be appealing to the vast majority of them.

It's because she's she's seriously good-looking.
Are you asking me or telling me? Seriously, Deville, you are trying to bait me and it's getting old. Can you have a serious conversation, like ever?

I would take any conservative governor, ANY.

Got it?

Fossten made a good point on this. Also, how relevant are the VP debates? do most people pay attention to them? In the main debates, McCain is gonna OWN Obama, judging by the whole saddleback thing...

Very good point... but anger at the DNC and Obama may outweigh that...

Again, Biden isn't that stupid to try either of those approaches, considering the ex-Hillarites.

Ever try and tell a woman what she can and can't do with her own body? Those are the women McCain is trying to pull. Palin better be as charming as she is good-looking, to have a chance.

-

Edit: Monster, good idea to merge both this and the Palin thread?

Are you asking me or telling me? Seriously, Deville, you are trying to bait me and it's getting old. Can you have a serious conversation, like ever?

I would take any conservative governor, ANY.

Got it?

I'm teasing you, since I'm glad you're voting and not staying home. Loosen up a little.

And yes, I am also asking and bringing up valid points to fuel a "serious conversation".

Okay, Deville, fair enough.

Yeah, I like the look of her. Certainly look forward to seeing her on TV rather than Cheney or Hairplugs.

But any conserv gov would have been fine with me.

Members online

Back