McCain pick - Sarah Palin merged thread?????

MonsterMark

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I hope it is Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

Putting her on the ticket would grab those disaffected Hillary supporters and give McCain the victory.

She's pro-choice. Uh-uh. Stop listening to Dick Morris. He's been wrong about most things this year.

Romney's probably the best choice.

Don't put a straw man in front of me. I didn't say "die-hard." I said "pro choice."

She's not good enough for me.

You might want to read your own links.

Voted YES on expanding research to more embryonic stem cell lines.

Expand embryonic stem cell research.
Hutchison signed a letter from 58 Senators to the President
Dear Mr. President:

We write to urge you to expand the current federal policy concerning embryonic stem cell research.

Rated 75% by the NRLC, indicating a mixed record on abortion.

FYI, Dick Morris also advocated Hutchison. He's wrong. Romney's better. We don't need a woman, we need a good VP candidate.

Putting her on the ticket would grab those disaffected Hillary supporters and give McCain the victory.

How probable is that? If likely, be a wise choice.

She's pro-choice. Uh-uh. Stop listening to Dick Morris. He's been wrong about most things this year.

Romney's probably the best choice.

Picking a VP on a one issue platform isn't the wisest of stances, if that is your only failing with her?

It's also VERY unlikely that a McCain/Romney ticket would be able to reverse Roe V. Wade if they won, again, if that's your only beef.

How probable is that? If likely, be a wise choice.

Picking a VP on a one issue platform isn't the wisest of stances, if that is your only failing with her?

It's also VERY unlikely that a McCain/Romney ticket would be able to reverse Roe V. Wade if they won, again, if that's your only beef.
It's too easy to find qualified, competent VP candidates that are pro-life. Hutchison's only issue that appeals to Bryan is that she's a woman, so your comment about single issue platforms is more appropriately directed toward him.

Neither McCain or Romney have a say in Roe v. Wade. The Supreme Court has a say in that. What they do have a say in is vetoing legislation such as federally funded embryonic stem cell research and other such hot button issues, and that is why Hutchison isn't a good choice. Social cons won't accept her.

Anyway, your comment isn't logical. You said picking a VP on a one issue platform, but that's not what I'm doing. I'm rejecting her because of a very important issue which other equally or more qualified candidates don't have a problem with. It's more rational to reject a candidate based on one issue than it is to pick one based on one issue.

I see your point. In Bryan's defense (correct me if I'm wrong), he's looking at the immediate issue of getting McCain into office. ie what would the most qualified VP matter if they can't win.

he's looking at the immediate issue of getting McCain into office.

Bingo! We have a winner.

You can't do anything unless you have the power.

I'm looking at the Supreme Court as the #1 issue. I'm not a McCain guy, but when confronted with the choices, I am not one to 'vote my conscience' to feel good about myself by feeling I made a statement. So sorry, Bob Barr won't do it for me. McCain is palitable. Obama is not. End of story.

McCain needs Hillary's disaffected voters. A woman VP would give them the White House, whether it be Hutchinson or Dole and would probably prevent further erosion in the House and Senate.

Sorry, but Hillary's voters will vote McCain anyway. She practically endorsed him over Obama during the primaries, and McCain is running the ad showing that very clip as we speak. It is not necessary to select a woman VP, especially one who is pro choice. You will lose conservative votes.

You are advocating a classic example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'm curious where you think those conservative votes will go, since voting Dem would essentially be voting "pro choice"?

McCain makes decision on his vice presidential pick

08-28-2008 3:58 PM
By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer

DENVER (Associated Press) -- An aide says Republican presidential candidate John McCain decided on a running mate early Thursday.

No word yet on who it is. But McCain is expected to announce his vice presidential pick soon and appear with the person at a rally in Dayton, Ohio, on Friday.

One top prospect, Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty, abruptly canceled numerous public appearances on Thursday.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

DENVER (AP) _ Republican presidential nominee-in-waiting John McCain stayed mum about his pick of a running mate Thursday and one top prospect, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, abruptly canceled numerous public appearances.

Without explanation, Pawlenty called off an Associated Press interview at the last minute, as well as other media interviews in Denver, site of the Democratic National Convention.

Others believed to be in contention for the No. 2 slot on the GOP ticket included former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who was meeting with donors throughout California, and Democrat-turned-independent Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, who was vacationing on New York's Long Island.

Former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge, too, was still a possibility, as was the idea that McCain would choose a dark horse from any number of names that have circulated.

McCain, however, was uncharacteristically silent.

As McCain and his wife, Cindy, boarded a plane in Phoenix bound for Dayton, Ohio, reporters shouted a barrage of questions at the senator about whether he'd made up his mind.

McCain wasn't biting. He flashed a double thumbs-up and boarded the plane.

The GOP nominee-in-waiting is widely expected to name his running mate in the coming days, perhaps as early as Thursday night or Friday. He and his No. 2 are expected to appear together for the first time at one or more rallies planned for Ohio, Pennsylvania and Missouri in the run-up to Monday's convention kickoff.

In an interview aired Thursday morning, McCain said he still hadn't made up his mind. Far from quieting speculation, this only fueled it as he sought to siphon attention from Democrat Barack Obama's acceptance of the presidential nomination in Denver by playing coy.

He told KDKA NewsRadio in Pittsburgh in an interview taped Wednesday: "I haven't decided yet so I can't tell you."

McCain, who spoke with the radio station from his home in Arizona, told people late Wednesday that he wasn't going to make a final decision until after he talked with his wife. She has been in the country of Georgia this week and returned late Wednesday.

With both the eventual pick and the effort to keep buzz alive beforehand, McCain's campaign hopes curb any uptick in polling that Obama might get from his convention and to create momentum heading into the gathering of GOP delegates for McCain next week in St. Paul, Minn.

Pawlenty, in Denver to criticize Democrats on McCain's behalf, canceled without explanation an afternoon roundtable interview with the AP as well as other media interviews. Questioned about the vice presidential selection earlier, Pawlenty would only say that he is to be in Minnesota on Friday for the state fair. He had cautioned during a series of morning TV interviews that while speculation might be fun, "most of it turns out to be inaccurate."

Romney, who had played the GOP attack-dog role earlier in the week at the Democratic convention and has been meeting with donors in California, left his beachfront San Diego home Thursday morning with an overnight bag. His son, Matt, said Romney was headed to an unspecified location in the state. Asked about being vice president, the elder Romney said: "I don't have anything for you right now."

Ridge was at his suburban Washington, D.C., home. Asked by an AP photographer as he took out the trash if he had any travel plans for the day, Ridge smiled and said he didn't.

One Lieberman aide said there has been no indication he is the choice. For instance, no staff have been called to join him at his vacation site.

For months, McCain's vice presidential search process has been kept closely held by a small group of his advisers. But details have been trickling out this week.

This includes word from two Republicans that McCain met with his senior advisers in Arizona on Wednesday to discuss the pick, conflicting information about whether or not he had settled on a choice, and the campaign's announcement it would air a TV ad in battleground states around when Obama will be giving his prime-time acceptance speech. A spokeswoman said McCain would be shown speaking directly to the camera with a message aimed at Obama but would not disclose the content.

Inside GOP circles Thursday, though, speculation swirled around Lieberman. It was fueled by reports that McCain's advisers had asked for additional detailed information from Lieberman, by McCain's close friendship with the 2000 Democratic vice presidential nominee, and by word that Republican operatives had been told to prepare for the possibility of an "unconventional" choice.

GOP strategist Karl Rove late last week encouraged Lieberman to withdraw his name from vice presidential consideration, but Lieberman rejected the suggestion, according to a person familiar with the phone call, who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about it. Rove, through a spokeswoman, denied he made the call.

____

Associated Press writers Glen Johnson in Boston, Mike Glover in Phoenix, and Andrew Miga and photographer Scott Applewhite in Washington contributed to this story.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Disclaimer: the news stories on Cox.net are the work of leading news organizations whose services are purchased to populate Cox.net with news as a service to our customers. Views and opinions presented in the news are not necessarily the views of Cox Communications.

My money is on Pawlenty but I really wanted Kay Bailey Hutchinson or Michael Steele.

I understand that your selection is based on trying to either pull women and/or minorities from the Obama pool onto McCain, but don't you fear that either of those choices would offend the Repub/Conserv 'I hate minorities and women need to know their place' base? :eek:

I understand that your selection is based on trying to either pull women and/or minorities from the Obama pool onto McCain, but don't you fear that either of those choices would offend the Repub/Conserv 'I hate minorities and women need to know their place' base? :eek:
Your attempts to race/gender bait have not gone unnoticed. :mad:

I'd be perfectly satisfied with Michael Steele, J.C. Watts, or Sarah Palin as VP pick, and so would many conservatives that I've spoken to. Of course, if either of the two black men were chosen, they'd be called Uncle Tom by the left.

So you can take your baiting tactics and shove them up your you know what.

Your attempts to race/gender bait have not gone unnoticed. :mad:

I'd be perfectly satisfied with Michael Steele, J.C. Watts, or Sarah Palin as VP pick, and so would many conservatives that I've spoken to. Of course, if either of the two black men were chosen, they'd be called Uncle Tom by the left.

So you can take your baiting tactics and shove them up your you know what.

Maybe because it was an obvious joke/jab, Master Sleuth. I even added a little emote to stress that fact.

Could it be? Please?

41940811.jpg

What a stupid, stupid choice he has made.
For months now we have been hearing who the hell is Barack Obama?
No one really knows who he is.
Now Mc Cain has chosen someone nobody has ever heard of..
Who the hell is she?
Stupid, stupid move.
He had many well know people to choose from, and I feel he just threw the election into the black dude's hands.
With Mc Cain having age as an issue, picking someone younger is a good idea, but what experience,especially in foreign affairs ,does this woman have?
She may have to step into the top job one day.
When the dems chose Obama, I decided I would change party affilation, and vote the republican ticket, but now, I don't belive I will be voting at all.
I'M sure I am not alone in this thinking.
Bob.

Members online

No members online now.
Back