How many people want bodykits?

heres that Gen II... something like this would look great

HPIM0308-1.jpg

DAMN!!! I'd be on the list for something like that in a HURRY!

Thanks for all the advice guys. Normally big companies require a large quantity sold in advance before commiting to do anything like this. If it weren't for my friends starting their own company and being willing to help, I wouldn't even have told you guys. I'm not looking to make a bunch of cash here. I'd like one myself and I know many people here would also like one. I have lots of connections, bodywork, steel fab. ect. I also have lots of ideas. Just no cash. I hope this is a situation where we can all benefit. Down the road I'd prefer to present (near) finished products before asking for any $$$. We'll have to wait and see. Like I said, if its not needed or doesn't look right(square lights) it will be eliminated or modified. It seems like we all are looking for the same thing here so I hope we can make this work. Thanks again guys.

I think there were a couple styles of kits. The only one I remotly cared for was:

joseph.jpg

Hee hee hee --- I have that exact body kit (used, from the car in this photo) in my garage -Shame I dont have a gen 1 anymore.

Joeychgo, if I'm not mistaken, you mentioned your having that kit in a post not to long ago. Just curious, but why don't you try to sell it? Or perhaps Speed Demon could ( borrow ) it to reverse engineer a kit or facsimile thereof. Is that even possible? I also have a vague recollection of reading that Geno may have one of his bodykits left. Gary in Elmira, NY.

As long as it does not look like those garbage bodykits you see on ebay all the time, I would be interested. That mark with the pontiac bumper had the right idea, do it close to that and make it urethane and Im in for sure.

im all for the grand am gen2 front bumper, i heard hes using stock ranger fog lamps, i tried it long ago with a grand prix bumper but it would of needed to be sectioned too many times to be durable.

That's why you build it, mold it and then make it out of fiberglass!
DUH!!!! CHICKEN, I should have known, I saw that test of yours the other day!!!!

Its sounds like all us genII guys want that pontiac bumper, If it was in polyurithane I would drop up to $300 on 1 of those.

that gen 2 was done by the owner, he's a body man and did it himself it isnt anything you can buy. here are more pics of it. currently sits on a 19/20 wheel combo and needed heavy hoggin out of the camber holes for allignment. he also hand made the scoop on the hood and rear wing. it also started life as a base model , its not an lsc.
old pics of car:
HPIM0302.jpg

HPIM0295.jpg

current look:
Picture047.jpg

Picture038-1.jpg

Picture036.jpg

That Black Gen II is the best looking one i have seen.. wow!

I wonder how he did the headlights? Got a closeup?

I'd be interested for sure! hope you get more wants for the kit, It would be a great idea! I think unpainted is the way to go. The wing will be modified? Meaning it will not look like the one i've seen before.

That is OUR body kit in the above pictures. It has nothing to do with being a BIG company firstly we are no where near a BIG company and my Friend owns the glass shop that does our hoods and wings as a FAVOR at this point. The sales are a flash in the pan in the begininng then slow to a Drrrip.

There is just not enough of a market for this type of thing the body kits in particular, why do you think we sold our molds and said "heck with this" we sold about 21 body kits total in 11 years.

Were barely selling hoods and wings too.
That's ready to go in the can soon if sales do not pick up which I doubt they will.

Personally I hate body kits, very tacky and add on looking. I do agree our old Aeropak Kit (black one) would look good with some mods but I like the front ends only, side skirts look horrible on any car! LOL!.

Speed Demon, I'm not that far from you(Carpentersville), I have a friend that does plastic injection molds, He and i can help? let me know, Maybe he can help with the type of material to use.

That's why you build it, mold it and then make it out of fiberglass!
DUH!!!! CHICKEN, I should have known, I saw that test of yours the other day!!!!

no i aint no body guy, and cutting a $800 (new factory) bumper cover in half kinda scared me out of if not to mention the grand prix fog lights were huge and not knowing if the outcome would be ok is just too risky. the black gen2 above is a '00 grand am gt front bumper with the top cut off and everything molded into the top of a gen 2 bumper

I think that a air defuser on the rear bumper would look nice, kind of like the one they have on the bmw m6. Since how some people dont like how most aftermarket mufflers hang out of the bottom, but nothing too extreme as to drive up the price.

Soooooooo...................Maybe starting from scratch would be the best thing here? I didn't realize those were your kits Geno. As far as the wing goes, I have a completely different look in mind so I figured it wouldn't interfere in your sales. I'm not looking to make money here, just make stuff available that members (including myself) can't get anywhere else. I have lots of connections and figured I should use them. Let me know.

you cant buy it though, thats the point, he made it himself, only way to buy it is to buy the pontiac bumper and do what he did!

If you make the grand am bumper cover and make a mold and sell them I will buy it.... If you say ok ill send you 500 for it right now...

OK, question...

What is involved in manufacturing urethane bumpers? I could certainly make a duplicate of that grand am hybrid bumper and then make a fiberglass mold of it, but I would think a fiberglass front bumper would be a bad idea, since the first time you tap anything, it will crack and spiderweb. Is making a urethane bumper the kind of thing that could be done in a garage, or does it require very expensive equipment? If its not the kind of thing I could make myself, does anyone know of a company that would manufacture them for us based off a prototype?

Members online

No members online now.
Back