How many people want bodykits?

Speed Demon

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Long story short. I love the body kits. I used to do custom fiberglass work. I got in touch with the guys I used to work with and they started their own company. I have access to 'borrow' an unistalled kit. They can make the molds, and reproduce the kits. I have another friend that can paint them. I have no cash.:D How many of you are actually interested in the kits? What price could you agree would be fair? Painted, unpainted. This has been stalled since spring and I need some $$$ and motivation. I don't need 20 people to start this, I don't need $10,000 dollars. Several people including myself with some start up cash would be good. I don't have cash to throw away so this will either work or I'll wait 'til I have extra cash laying around.......which could be a very long time.:( I'm very busy with family and work so I figured if I at least put this out here I could see what you guys think.

I would be interested in a front valence, but personally I'm not a fan of the way the side skirts look on our cars. I think unpainted would be the way to go, cause painting would significantly add to the cost, and you would still have to ship them and risk the paint getting damaged in shipping, and even if everything went fine with shipping, with variants in the paint mixes and age of the car, there's no guarantee it would match the car it is going on.

I can't say i would buy one now but if the became avalable i would be very interested!

I'd need to see what they look like; but I'm acquiring mark parts (just not a mark yet)... if I were able to see some sort of rendition of what they'd look like and I found that I liked it, I'd most likely throw the cash in on it so long as it's reasonable ($1500 or less; two bumpers/side skirts). I'd vote unpainted for the reasons already stated. And its my understanding these would be fiberglass? Just throwing it out there, but urethane tends to be more suitable due to its ability to give and not crack/splinter.

I think there were a couple styles of kits. The only one I remotly cared for was:

joseph.jpg

But even then it looks bolted on. And the secondary chrome strip looks really bad in my opinion. I think a kit that attached at the factory chrome would look less obvious, but no kit did this so I guess it a mute point.

Urethane is an option, forgot to mention:rolleyes: . I might modify them too, I like a smooth factory look. Not stuck on. Wing is in the works too. Long smooth trans am style.

If you made a chin spoiler I would be much more interested than if you made and entire kit.

Ya, even I would rather see something just added to the front without lowering the look too much. But with the long hood I am not sure it would work for me. I would have it torn off or scraped up in no time.

those are not the same kit the front bumper looks the same but the side skirts are way different

I would be interested in a kit that completely replaces the front/rear bumper covers and side trim. I can't stand the chrome strips.

Standard kits to install yourself would be the easiest. Molding the kits to existing covers would a pain, shipping turn around ect. I was planning on doing molds with the kits in place to produce a single replaceable piece( front and rear) if enough people thought it would be needed. This may be an option. Many people would just install the kits and paint the trim black. Its likely the original kits will be smoothed and modified if needed also. If I'm putting a kit on my car I want it to look good many years down the road. Non-functioning vents may get filled in, some may be added for brake cooling, or CAI(incorporated into front covers of course), lighting, ect. As far as the air dam goes, I'll most likely do some type of modified air dam that would give aero benefits and still look good with the stock body. There are alot of ideas I have. I just need to get this started. With my friends help I think we could do some exceptional kits for reasonable prices. Thanks for the input guys.:cool:

Both of those look pretty decent; I like the black one better. Would these be available for Gen II?

i.m.o. im not a big fan of any of these kits... they look great if thats the style you like.. but i would like to see maybe just a front piece that has foglights molded into it... sort of like the 96 cobra fronts.. but not as stangy.. i believe there is a gen II on here with grand am foglights molded in and it looks pretty clean and sleek

im with devilchild, all these cars need is a front, anything on the sides or back looks odd............

The more I look at the black car, the more I like it...

Come up with a kit like that, maybe with a wing... I don't know I'd have to see... With some molded in fog lights a design of which would flow well, for a Gen II and I give you my word I'll order a kit. (so long as it's urethane; I just don't want the headache of glass)

There are countless aftermarket fog lights the choose from, or even pull a factory light from another model vehicle (although I've found a great deal of factory fogs to have very poor beam characteristics). Design it around a specific light and include the brand / model number in the instructions. OR, try to contact the manufacture and see about including it in the kit. Lots of options here.

Anyhow, having a body kit sitting here waiting would surely put more of an urgency to getting the actual car!! So come on... get this ball rolling!

I think there were a couple styles of kits. The only one I remotly cared for was:

joseph.jpg

But even then it looks bolted on. And the secondary chrome strip looks really bad in my opinion. I think a kit that attached at the factory chrome would look less obvious, but no kit did this so I guess it a mute point.

My biggest complaint on this kit is the horrible fog light holes. Looks like a total afterthought; nothing like a big square on a car that has nothing but curves... entirely out of place.

This does however look a good deal like the one on the black car, but the side skirts look different on this one; the black car it almost looks like the skirts have more of a rounded contour to them and don't stick out like these do.

The only way to not look rice is to match the body lines; that means smooth curves and almost no sharp edges. Do that and I think we'll have a winner!

Last edited:
Speed Demon, I absolutely wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor. I too think body kits, when done well can not only enhance your car but set it apart from the crowd. But I would take a moment or two to discuss your idea with Geno at LMS. In the past he has had one heck of a time in this area. Between the initial start up cost, getting a concensus of a design, getting people to lay out cash in advance, etc., he has kind of thrown in the towel so to speak. Recently I purchased his hood and wing. He said he averages about two a year. Also look at the amount of hits on his cowl hood for a Gen. 2 car. It just never materialized. Our country was founded on people like you and Geno ( entrepreneur ). Just think your way very carefully so you don't get get hit financially. Timing too is important. As we are all aware, the economy is all but, in the toilet. Gary in Elmira, NY.

Redcell makes good points. If you do this, don't expect big sales. There will of course be plenty of initial interest; but few will follow through.

I can't say that if you came up with a design in two weeks I'd be sending you the money the next day... I have a feeling the cost of this kit won't be anywhere south of $1000, and I of course must have a couple weeks to come up with that kind of cash (and not stress finances or take money from savings). But given some advance notice I can get some money together for it. Key here is that any more than 5-6 advance orders would, I think... unrealistic to look for. Just being honest.

With any luck you can come up with something that won't require a large number of advance orders; if not, even though I'd like to see it... I'd say just forget it. I don't like seeing people trying to do a good thing and end up eating it in the end.

That gen2 is MEAN! I'd only go for it if it had some really nice foglights. I wouldn't mind shelling out the cash if I could throw a set of hids in there for the fog lights. That would really set the Mark apart.

Members online

No members online now.
Back