ACCEL Ignition COP install

are the cylinder head on the LS the same as another car???? your saying that the stock cols are good to 400 HP or the mustang Coils???

the heads are not the same as the stang.... the valves and the set up are all the same..... the lighting and stang guys are running stock coils to 400. I would include the LS in that category of being good up to 400 with them. Will you see more power probably, but the car doesnt need a hotter spark for quite a while yet.

Just put stock ones back in it. Aftermarket coils on a stock motor are a complete waste of money (and time since they have to be made to work).

The idea is that the stock COPs are junk and prone to failure. Unknown if any aftermarket coils are the same. IMHO it's worth the time, effort and money if the Accel coils aren't as prone to fail, regardless of any performance gains. That being said, anyone interested in selling their Accel coils???

02V8Sport replied saying they were no better than stockers. It's not just a coil problem as far as stockers go - it's the fact that they're covered keeping in the heat making them deteriorate faster. Nevermind failing plug well seals/valve cover gaskets.

02V8Sport replied saying they were no better than stockers. It's not just a coil problem as far as stockers go - it's the fact that they're covered keeping in the heat making them deteriorate faster. Nevermind failing plug well seals/valve cover gaskets.

and getting 90k miles isnt exactly a high fail item!

I agree. I've had two go in two years of owning the car. Granted, both valve cover gaskets/coils/boots and plugs were covered by the dealer, but still, they're maintenance items..just like the older cars with plug wires, cap and rotor...just a little more technologically advanced.

yes there are a few that have. And I am saying its not needed unless your making big power. All that being said I am going to upgrade mine. The thing people arent seeing is that MSD who is pretty much the top of the line ignition company.... makes a cop that will work just like accel. They fail too!!!! The electronics behind the coil is a little wire wrapped tightly around itself to induce a higher voltage. To get a "hotter" spark you use smaller wire and wrap it around more times. If you are replaceing them to avoid them failing you will more than likely regret it. They are more likely to fail with the necessary modifications for the high performance coils.

I guess the bottom line to my point is... COPs fail, replace them when they do. Performance cops will only get you performance not reliability.

Well I want the performance upgrade, not necessarily the reliability I have to replace the seals because I have oil in the wells and figured I could get a bit of a performance upgrade out of it but don't want to do it unless they actually work

I'm all for performance (going from a 12 second Lincoln to an LS should tell you something), I haven't even bothered to look at them. Coils will only do some much and it'll be hard to tell by the butt dyno.

Unless you have this money burning a hole in your pocket, I really wouldn't bother.

Well its the same price as the normal ones from what I've found on the internet and my car is being really annoying lately with the misfires

Just to give a somewhat different view of the necessity/desirability of aftermarket 'performance-oriented' ignition coils, my existing engine is stock except for the use of SCT tuning and a separate methanol/nitrous oxide system. I've recently replaced my coils, which had begun to fail-(now 115K miles)-with a set of Accels for a 2-v Mustang 4.6. (See 'Land Speed LS in the HP section.) I just came back from a 1K-mile trip at x-way speeds of 75-85. My mileage for the trip was 26.2 running mostly E-10 gas. That's the highest I've ever recorded for any trip. Although I haven't kept rigorous records, that's about 1.5 MPG more than I've got up to this point. And I try NOT to run any brand that offers ethanol in the mix, due to the somewhat lower efficiency the 'E' offers.
KenS from Ben's Place

Really debating on this, my cel is now flashing from the misfire so I need to do it asap but Im still torn on which coils to get

Also, on the valve color seal replacement does anyone know which color of gasket sealant to use? I've seen blue red and black but I don't know if there's even a difference

Also, where is the cheapest place to get the gasket seals? Torrie has them for $41.38 per side, does any one know where to get them cheaper?

Members online

Back