Lincoln LS Detail

This is an excellent topic. I don't have any professional stuff yet but I am starting my collection witt a few good products I picked up from Autozone.

This is an excellent topic. I don't have any professional stuff yet but I am starting my collection witt a few good products I picked up from Autozone.

What kind did you buy? One of my favorite over-the-counter products from retail stores like that is Stoner's Invisible Glass. Excellent cleaning ability and tint-safe.

I love Stoner's Invisible Glass. Especially the foam one. I've never used the spray bottle one.

I love Stoner's Invisible Glass. Especially the foam one. I've never used the spray bottle one.

I haven't either. My guess would be that it actually works better than the foam, if anything. A common misconception, IIRC, is that foaming=cleaning power. I remember reading something that says the more foam concentration actually the less cleaning concentration. I'll try and dig the thread up. I think the best thing you are looking for in a soap is lubrication. I'm guessing the same goes for glass cleaner. This is why my foam gun is used exclusively as a pre-wash tool and then I move onto the two bucket method for regular cleaning.

I just prefer the foam because it doesn't run down the window.

Which foam gun do you have?

I never seen the Stroners stuff but I don't have a Auto Zone I have a Advanced Auto closest to me and a few small time stores.

FYI PatrickSimons, some of those products are great but they still don't compare to the stuff the pro's typically use. Like I previously said and I am sure everyone knows, you can get a very, very nice look from some of those products but when it comes down to it they have a good a reason why they cost so much and the pro's dish out that cash. Especially with paint correction.

Stoner's comes in a black can, about the size of a tall spray paint can. with yellow and blue writing. even wal mart carries it. i get mine from o'reilly's.

If I don't have much choice, I'll usually lean towards the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze and Professional lines of products. They are better than the usual 'unexperienced' detailer products and provide a decent shine and protection for the money. I find that more popular but less useful products are mislabeled sometimes, such as "liquid clay bar" which fails to make any sense to me. A lot of professionals do still use Stoner's Invisible Glass, it's a great product that I'm glad is easily available. Diamondite is also a good company for glass and plasitcs, I've heard theyu have a little more grime cutting power than Stoner's.

What kind did you buy? One of my favorite over-the-counter products from retail stores like that is Stoner's Invisible Glass. Excellent cleaning ability and tint-safe.

I have:
Eagle One Nano Wax
Eagle One Tire Detailer Brush
APF602 No More Dust Wheel Cleaner
Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax Paste

Regular Windex right now for windows until I can get something better. Stoner's Invisible Glass sounds like something I will be investing in soon.

I have:
Eagle One Nano Wax
Eagle One Tire Detailer Brush
APF602 No More Dust Wheel Cleaner
Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax Paste

Regular Windex right now for windows until I can get something better. Stoner's Invisible Glass sounds like something I will be investing in soon.

Very soon if I were you, unless you like purple window tint. As far as the wax goes, give NXT 2.0, the liquid, a try. It's pretty good for over the counter stuff.

I think thats what he is getting at.

Do you honestly like those Eagle One products?

I never found them appealing in the least. They never made any difference at all especially when compared to other products I used from both Mothers and Maguires and you can find those on the same shelf.

I like the tire brush applicator and it really doesn't "sling" all over the paint like some of the other products I have used.

The instant nano wax spray has given me pretty good results. These results are nothing like the professional stuff but works pretty good for me being over the counter.

I love Mothers and Maguires but no store around here had either brand in stock. Everybody's cleaning for the summer.

KD00LS, for a person that lives in a APT complex and is restricted from certain methods like the use of a buffer and just about everything else what do you recommend doing?

I can do some small things after the management is gone for the day but I sure cant use a buffer or do a good spray wash with a foam gun or power washer or even just a hose.

Have once or twice done a bucket wash with one large bucket of soap and two large buckets of plain water.

I used one plain water bucket to rinse the mitt off then dipping it in the other to rinse the car off.

For my wheels how ever since I have become obsessive over them I used a bucket of very hot soap water to wash and a large pump action high power canister type spray bottle filled with water so hot I could not stand to touch it if I would place my hand in it. I rinse them with the stream on jet and I pump it up till it wont pump anymore. Then before the water in the canister cools I twist the nozzle from jet to fine mist to get the hot water to bead, dry fast and create a spot free rinse.

This has been effective so far along with washing the body at a friends house then detailing at a park but I am wondering if you would have other suggestion for someone in my situation. And I'm sure lots of you are in the same:D

There are some waterless wash techniques that some people use, especially in areas like Florida where there are water restriction zones. I haven't used this certain product, but I have used Citrus Wash and Gloss and love it, so this should be a good product too. I wouldn't trust any over the shelf waterless wash products, just stuff on like autogeek, detailedimage, chemical guys, or a few other low key but detailer trusted brands.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Waterless_Car_Wash_And_Wax_With_Kaolin_Clay_p/wac_100.htm

http://autogeek.net/pbsaw16.html

As far as polishing goes, you living in an apartment building I'm going to guess you'll be working in the sun. Try Poorboy's World Polishes, specifically the SSR 1 and the pre wax cleaners. They work very well in the sun unlike some polishes. Use 2, 2.5, and 3 for heavier scratches. You can work these in by hand without a buffer, it just takes longer. Are you sure you wouldn't be able to run an extension cord out?

http://autogeek.net/pbsr.html
http://autogeek.net/pbpp16.html

The most important solution to keeping a clean car in such a restricting environment is PREVENTION. After cleaning your car, invest in a wheel glaze or sealant for your wheels, then you can basically wipe the dirt off with a clean cloth. Try DP Wheel Glaze, Wheel Wax, Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant, or any paint sealant will do (use very little for ease of removal). Regular waxing and touch ups with detail spray will remove and prevent a good amount of dirt from forming on your paint.

http://autogeek.net/dp-wheel-glaze.html

http://autogeek.net/pbws.html

The waterless wash kind of scared me at first, but the lubricants encapsulate the dirt. It'll work fine unless your car is really dirty, then you should be careful. Use a bucket of warm water to rinse off the waterless wash applicator every few wipes to remove the dirt.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cool thanks. I'm at work so Ill look into those links when I get home.

As far as the wheels go, I do treat them after the wash. I'm sure Ill get sick of this routine but like I said I am pretty anal seeing on how they are new and IMO look so good. They are painted so I would take care of them just like the body goes but I get scared about just using a quick detail or just a good wipe. I don't want any scratches so I like to get any debris off before I start to wipe or rub anything into it and I just feel if I'm doing a heavy rinse I may as well just wash but as I said I'm sure I'll get sick of it.

I have thought about that Turtle wax foaming waterless wash but I cant stand the brands name. A friend used it and you still need to wipe it afterwords with a damp cloth or something cause it does end up smearing any dust or light dirt and pollen around. IMO it made it look worst till it was wiped but afterwords it did shine well but the whole wiping with a wet cloth just proved the product pointless.

Also, that Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Clay Bar is just plain out dumb! I used it on the Highlander once seeing how I thought I would get more use out of it than a clay bar being its a SUV and it sucked. It didn't do anything but leave white chalky film behind that was a pain to get off. I had to have it washed at a place where they did it for you.

Automated car washes are one of the worst things you can do for your paint. I know those damn things aren't microfiber, sheepskin or sea sponge, they are filled with dirt from every car running through there, and spin at high speeds. As far as detailing wheels, especially painted in your case, they actually more than likely have a harder and thicker clear coat than on the paint of your car. You can use all the same methods. Just make sure you don't use the wrong wheel cleaner for your style wheel.

The only real alternative to a claybar is a clayblock, which is a foam applicator with a coating of rubber on one end. It is relatively new, but I know of at least one person who has tested it and followed up with a clay bar, with very little to no residue on the claybar, indicating that the clayblock probably works well. It is more cost efficient in first purchase value and lasts longer than clay, anywhere from 15-20 cars rather than 4-5 (obviously depending on the size of the bar). Both of these products either need a quick detailer or clay lube used in unison so not to mar the paint.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Clay_Bar_Alternative_Elastrofoam_Clay_Block_p/clay_block_kit.htm

Right, I didn't go to a drive through wash and I stay far away from the brush of death. It was one where they did a hand wash for you. It was only 6 bucks but it got all the crap from that liquid clay bar off. The Highlander has seen its share of back roads and muddy fields so I don't hesitate to let someone else touch it but the LS barley ever sees the road lately.

I just got the Cali Gold Clay Bar the other day. Haven't used it yet but I plan on doing so after I do some more research in a few days.

I also don't use any wheel cleaner I just use the HD cleanse from Zymol like I use on my car.

How do you like Zymol HD Cleanse? I know a lot of professionals use it.

I love it. It does a great job at cleaning the car. If I didn't know it takes the wax off so it can help prep for a fresh coat I would swear it was a wax itself. It leaves the car looking so clean and shiny afterwords.

Zymol is a really, really good product. I did it again the other day. I put some fine scratches in my wheels from not pre-rinsing good enough and Zymol Cleaner Wax knocked 'em right out.

My friends neighbor saw me drying it off and asked me if I was using one of those wax as you dry products since the HD left it looking so smooth.

This weather is great lately but at the same it kinda sucks since I don't have any good wax and polish that I can use in this heat. I love the heat:gr_devil:

New update:
I was detailing a friend's 2000 Jeep Cherokee, hasn't been washed in years. I used degreaser, all purpose cleaner, soft brushes, mitts, tough brushes, and concentrated soap and I couldn't get the wheels clean for the life of me. It had a layer of grease that would just spread around and stick to the wheel. I decided to do some improv and remembered that I had a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, heavier duty. I used the eraser like a claybar use dipped it in higher concentrated Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss for lubrication/extra cleaning power. I was stunned to see how fast the grease/grime was coming off the wheel. A definite must buy for those guys who have painted wheels and have grime they can't remove.

Members online

Back