Electrical Connector?

FeelingFuzzy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Model: 2005 Lincoln LS 8 cylinder 3.9.
Just bought this car. A squirrel made a nest and chewed through a main electrical connector in the engine compartment and some hoses. I have spliced all the wires together but 3 were color coded the same color, green wire with blue line on them. I am not sure if I have those hooked up correctly. It also chewed through the main wire for all the coils on the driver side. I have spliced those together as well. Also chewed through the wiper fluid hose and antifreeze hose to canister. Spliced those wires and replaced the hoses. The car runs great now but the battery light is on, engine light is on and I am getting a notice on the dash about servicing the parking brake and check charging system. I am not sure if these are all related to the electrical connection or not. I have searched but can not even find out what the passenger side connection is called or what it controls. It is a main connector near the firewall on the passenger side. If someone knows what the connector is, what it controls, most specifically the green withes with blue lines and and if that could be a possible culprit that would be a huge help.
car%20wires.jpg

I can look the wiring up this evening.
On the parking brake, follow the procedure in the owner's manual to reset it.

P0106 is MAP sensor out of range. The MAP sensor is built into the EGR valve assembly. It could be electrical (wiring), the EGR assembly, or the plastic vacuum tube running to it. (Those crack if you look at them wrong.) Note that EGR power does go through C140 (pin 2 - green/black)

The small connector in the picture is C139, and the larger one is C140.

The green/blue wire at pin 2 of C139 is power to the heater for the driver's side O2 sensors.
The green/blue wire at pin 10 of C140 is power to the heater for the passenger's side O2 sensors.
Power comes from fuse 11 under the hood.

The green/blue wire at pin 7 of C140 is power to the COPs (Coil-On-Plug). It is fed by fuse 12.

The green/blue wire at pin 9 of C140 is power to the VCT solenoids.
The green/blue wire at pin 12 of C140 is power to the fuel injectors.
Power comes from fuse 5.

The little connector C139 seems to be all good. On C140 as power wires would it matter if they were swapped with each other from a running or error standpoint? It runs great. But say pin 9 and 12 were swapped. While I certainly understand this would not be optimal especially from a mechanical perspective if they are running the same voltage my thinking is it should not matter as far as the car running and no error codes.

I am mechanically inclined but part name ignorant. Is this wiring system known as the wiring harness or something else? Where would one find this part if needing to replace. Since it feeds both the c140 connector and the ignition coils that the squirrel chewed through on the driver side it would probably be best if I could replace the whole wiring system if it is not to difficult. That way I would be for sure all c140 spots were correct.

Also because I had to trim a little off the the main coil wire that goes under the cover on the driver side it is now just a tiny bit too short so I can not place the coil cover back on. Is that cover really important or is it more of a decorative piece? Basically if I do not change out the whole wiring system and leave that cover off am I potentially getting myself in trouble?

I really appreciate your help. I have been going crazy trying to figure out the connector names and nothing online was really helpful that I could find.

Swapping 9 and 12 would be fine. They are both from the same feed/fuse. Swapping 10 and 7 might be a problem. It would run fine, but one or the other fuse might blow due to the load imbalance.

These are a few of the many harnesses in the car. If you look for the "engine harness," you should get most of what you need.

The coil covers are mostly cosmetic. Some here run without them. Make sure you wiper cowl seals are all good.

Fuzzy,

I commend you for your efforts... but maybe it would be easier to go to a boneyard and get all needed harnesses and lines. Plug and play.

04_Sport,

It started as an attempt to get it home. Got home on just the 4 passenger side cylinders, later found the varmint chewed through the main wire for the driver side cylinders. Most wires were not completely chewed through on the connector so a little solder fixed. Just so happens the ones that were all chewed through were all the same ones color coded green/blue. I did find the EGR tubing completely broken (thanks to joeger) and replaced with a little rubber hose.

Seems to run great now. Did some hard interstate driving and she does well.

Current issues are Emergency Brake Service warning stays present with tone. Tried all the brake reset to no avail. Pulled the fuse to stop the annoying ding. Battery light is staying on. Got a new battery and alternator tested well. Service engine light turns on and off intermittently.

Note that control/monitoring wiring for the alternator routes through one of those same connectors. The "battery" light always indicates a possible charging system problem. It never lights for problems with the battery itself.

You need something like Forscan to see what is wrong with the EPB.

Joeger,

There were 4 green/blue wires but only 3 totally chewed through. Based on mathematical principals I think that means there are only 9 possible combination of possibles. When working on it I tried each combination ad I remember one of the wires would immediately shut the car down when pulled. But it seemed to work on 2 of the 3 alternate connections. With your previous help I am assuming this is probably the COP? My guess is that a VCT or Fuel pump would have at least caused a stutter before stop when pulled.

In general, green wires with colored stripes are going to be switched 12V power that is active when the key is in the run or start position.

Battery voltage sense to the alternator goes through pin 4 of C140. It is a solid red wire.

The monitor and control wires go straight from the alternator to the PCM. Those are white/red and gray/red respectively.

Disconnected VCT would not cause an engine stall.
Fuel pump control does not run through C140. The PCM sends commands to the REM to control the fuel pump. The REM controls the power level to the fuel pump as instructed by the PCM to maintain fuel pressure. Loss of power to the coils (COPs) or the fuel injectors would stall the engine instantly.

Thanks Joeger,

For clarity I meant The green/blue wire at pin 12 of C140 to the fuel injectors not fuel pump as I previously mentioned. I thought I would brave it and brought it to work this morning to see how its longer term performance would be. Overall it did well. I am used to driving my LS V6 so it was quite a bit different in terms of power with the V8. Had to be careful to keep an eye on the speed.

Alright guys. Seems I am on a scavenger hunt now. Thought it would be good to change out the whole wire harness since I am not sure just how much damage the squirrel caused. None of the yards in TN seem to have one though. Dealer say no also. None listed for sale here. Any ideas?

Wow!

car-part.com is also an option. You can search boneyards near you by location and distance.
But they are gonna charge you $30-40 for a used harness that is likely gonna have several broken plastic clips so I would go with the new one for that price. Can't go wrong with a new harness shipped for $80 especially if they plan to keep the car for a long time.

I agree Dale. It was just an option. Most of my local boneyards don't advertise on car-part... But there is a good stock of LS's so I can actually eyeball what I'm looking for and take the time to be picky.

Not my car. Helping a kid out. Great kid just needs a helping hand. No good role models in life and this would be a huge break for him. Car is a nice car other than squirrel wire damage.

Yeah Fuzzy... Today's " me " syndrome in this country is really starting to annoy me. Nice to see that some people are still willing to give a " helping hand up " to another.

I agree Dale. It was just an option. Most of my local boneyards don't advertise on car-part... But there is a good stock of LS's so I can actually eyeball what I'm looking for and take the time to be picky.
I agree with you on that as well but almost every LS I have seen in the boneyard has jacked up cop harnesses on both sides. I had to get one that had broken clips to get me by cause they had 0 cars that had a perfect harness and they had 7 LS's at the time. I had to go visit my sick friend so I had to make it work for the time being and when I get back home I am changing the entire harness so I will have good solid connections with no risk of the plugs coming unplugged.

He reminds me a lot of myself. Never had anyone to really help or look up to, so I understand the challenges in life and how sometimes the simple things can hold one back but with a little help can propel one forward and change a person's outlook on life. Sometimes it is the small things that can change someone. A simple word of encouragement and just knowing someone cares goes a long way. So many people have lost there way in today's world.

Yeah... By the age of 14 most of my friends dads were my father figures. I had alot of good mentors at that point... But still ran wild for a few years. I was definitely " hell on wheels " until I got married.

Members online

Back