Electrical Connector?

#14=fuel injector 1 #15= fuel injector 2 #16= fuel injector 3 #17= fuel injector 4 #19= fuel injector 5, #20=fuel injector 6, #21=fuel injector 7 #23=fuel injector 8 is this the format you want?

Those (#14-#17) are the COP connectors. Think about it. The wiring goes under each COP cover in the back, but it does not come back out the front. The wiring to the injectors does keep going to other things at the front of the engine. The COP and injector connectors are physically the same. Also, you may have the banks swapped.

Yes you're 100% correct I need to upload this pic on my MacBook and answer on my IPad so I'm not constantly scrolling ...remember what I said Joe I'm a little slow :)
Those (#14-#17) are the COP connectors. Think about it. The wiring goes under each COP cover in the back, but it does not come back out the front. The wiring to the injectors does keep going to other things at the front of the engine. The COP and injector connectors are physically the same. Also, you may have the banks swapped.

DaleGrib, I think you are working on the same project I am. Check your harness and make sure it is the correct one. I got an odd plug on my old that is not on the new.

Thanks for the input so far everybody. So I got this plug and do not have it on the new wiring harness. Have they sent me the wrong wiring harness or am I in error somewhere.

20190216_161823.jpg

DaleGrib, I think you are working on the same project I am. Check your harness and make sure it is the correct one. I got an odd plug on my old that is not on the new.

Thanks for the input so far everybody. So I got this plug and do not have it on the new wiring harness. Have they sent me the wrong wiring harness or am I in error somewhere.

Are you sure that is the only one that is wrong? I don't see how they can sell one that is supposed to fit both the 1st gen (without ETC), and the 2nd gen (with ETC).

That connection is the TPS.

Joegr, no I am not sure. I was hoping he diagram I provided and little game would encourage more input.

What it ETC and what plug us is related on the main harness and where is that plug located on the car (top or underneath)?

Is there a diagram of this harness anywhere?

Joegr, no I am not sure. I was hoping the diagram I provided and little game would encourage more input.

What it ETC and what plug us is related on the main harness and where is that plug located on the car (top or underneath)?

Is there a diagram of this harness anywhere?

ETC is Electronic Throttle Control. The throttle control motor is on the other side of the throttle body from the TPS. I started the game, but I gave up when I couldn't find all the correct gen II connectors. Of course, it's possible that I just can't make them out correctly in the picture.

Gen II has ETC and no IAC. Gen I has IAC and no ETC. The EGR system is different too. Also gen II has VCT for the intake cams and gen I does not. Gen II has two cam position sensors, and gen I has only one. Of course, the gen I throttle body is in a different place too.

So then it looks like we have a Gen I harness? Generally what is the difference between Gen I and Gen II? Is it based on year model?

Joegr thanks. That was what I was thinking that Gen I vs Gen II was based on year model. So I have a Gen I and instead I need a Gen II harness.

OK, so we got a used GII harness and were looking to cut it at the point where it fishes under the front of the engine on both side and realized that if we were to cut it there on each side there were like 6 duplicate colored wires. So going that direction seems to be a lot more work than trying to figure out the C140 plug and simply fixing it. So the new question is based on the pictures what components do the following pins refer to and what is their appropriate reference in the fuse panel and on the harness itself.

c140 plug.jpg

lincoln GII harness.jpg

I'd say at this point you and the kid have your homework cut out for you.

First... find the recent thread where somebody listed all years of workshop manuals. You're going to need the wiring diagrams.

Next... you're going to have to trace all of those same color coded... mouse chewed wires through the harness to where they actually connect to a plug.

For this you will need a self powered test light or volt/ohm meter. Touch one probe to the chewed end... and the other probe to the plug where the matching color wire ends. When the test light lights up... or the volt/ohm meter goes from 0 value... to some numerical value... mark both ends of that wire with the same color tape... And note what the plug connects to. Do this for all 6 wires.

Then check your wiring diagrams on the non-chewed side of the problem plug... And see where the wires go in that direction. It will take time... But you should be able to figure it out.

I think you have the pin numbering off (but I could be looking at it wrong).
1 is actually 7, 3 > 9, 4 > 10, 6 > 12.

C140.png

Years ago... when I worked at a GM dealership... a brand new late 80's fwd Cutlass came in for a dome light issue. It wouldn't turn off.

I got out the books and traced the circuit... After pulling the pin switches at the doors... And the light switch. I found the problem wire... And by the time I was done I had stripped the dash down to the fire wall.

Turns out that whoever assembled the dash... Pinched a wire for the dome light circuit between the firewall and a dash mounting bracket.

I lost my a$$ on that job since it was flat rate warranty work.

7 - Green /w blue stripe - Power to the COPs from fuse 12
9 - Green /w blue stripe - Power to VCT solenoids from fuse 5
10 - Green /w blue stripe - Power to bank 1 02 sensor and monitor heater from fuse 11
12 - Green /w blue stripe - Power to the fuel injectors from fuse 5

Thanks 04_Spot_LS and joeger. Joeger you are correct I was off. I had the male side upside down. It is 7,9,10,12. So in relation to the harness am I correct in saying Pin 7 somehow splits off and powers all 8 coils and that their relationship to the harness is what I have highlighted in red in this picture?

COPs.jpg

...am I correct in saying Pin 7 somehow splits off and powers all 8 coils and that their relationship to the harness is what I have highlighted in red in this picture?...

Yes, there are a number of splices on that node. One splice splits it between the two banks, then there is a splice near each coil. Also note that it runs to two (one on each bank) RFI suppression capacitors. These are not under the coil covers. They are up at the intake manifold on each side. They ground through two of the intake manifold mounting bolts. Wire colors are Green/blue, Green/light blue, Green/yellow, Green/red, Green/black, Green/white, and Green/orange.

Thanks joeger.

So I ohm tested the used harness to get the layout for when we splice the original the squirrel chewed through. I am upolading a picture with the harness labeled based on the 7,9,10, &12 pin relationships.

Red Lines (COP's) = pin 7 (4 primary each side)
Purple dots (fuel injectors)= pin 12 (4 on each side)
Green Dot (VCT Solenoid) = pin 9
Pinkish Square at end (Bank 1 O2 Sensor/Monitor Heater) = pin 10.

If someone could double check my diagram and verify that would be great and if all is good hopefully this post will help someone else out in the future.

harness.jpg

Members online

Back