Gen2 3.9L V8 - Intake Manifold Gasket Index

DeviLSh

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Wanted to make a new thread, as I cannot locate a comprehensive thread on LVC that lists all gaskets associated with the V8's intake manifold.

There are a total of 6 Gasket locations that attach to the manifold assembly.

1) Lower Manifold Gasket (2) (From spacers to head) - MotorCraft 2W9Z-9439-AA OR FelPro MS69293

2) Upper Manifold Gasket (8) (From Spacer to Plenum)
a. EBAY Seller
b. TBD for other style seal (See picture below)
3) Throttle Body to Eblow (1) (TB Gasket) - MAHLE G31842

4) Elbow to Plenum (1) (Elbow gasket) - MAHLE G31844

5) Plenum to Rear Cover gasket (1) - Jaguar AJ87992 OR the kit here: MAHLE MS19424

6) EGR to Elbow (1) (EGR Intake side gasket) - Motorcraft 2W7Z-9D476-AA
Thought this would be a good resource for anyone looking to replace gaskets, having it all in one place. We can update this thread for other vendors, pricing and reviews on the gaskets. Some other good links and images available here in the LS MAHLE catalog (I have had good results from this supplier)

Regarding Item 2b above:
I am on the quest to find a set of upper seals as I approach my intake manifold replacement project. I have searched ebay, Jag sites, Ford/Lincoln sites, etc - and have not been able to locate a set of uppers yet that match the ones I removed.

This image below shows the comparison of the kit from 2a above, vs what I found when I cracked open the upper/lower version of a spare 2006 manifold I have. Note the lack of large black tabs on my OEM red gaskets that are present of the replacements.

35299736382_51bede1d06_z.jpg

If anyone has access to a set of these gaskets pictured, please share. Otherwise one might have to get creative, order an entire assembly ($$$) or reuse.

Pic for reference of gasket locations:
s6x~us~en~file=n0005345.gif~gen~ref.gif

s6x~us~en~file=n0037013.gif~gen~ref.gif

Last edited:
I have reused these gaskets with no issue. They are silicone and appear to be very durable. I know others here will probably spaz on the thought, and honestly given the trouble of doing this work I would agree, but in a pinch it worked for me.

Just ordered these, as they appear to look like the ones from my donor LS manifold. Looks like late LS's might have began using parts from LandRover. About $10 each shipped, or $80 for the set.

Item 2b:
LR006678

I will confirm fitment when they show up.

They probably sell very little of these and when they do its usually for the Rover or Jag, so par for the course. Some LR and Jag owners have spotted leaks from these, so at least they are available for us - beats paying god knows what for a used or NOS complete manifold. You can get the whole set for $68 shipped on ebay too, little better. Some of the kits include the metal lower gaskets too.

Sorry to revive this thread. Any more updates? Has anyone else taken these apart and would like to share their findings on the tabbed vs non-tabbed upper manifold gaskets?

Is there a consensus on the risk of using possibly inferior "aftermarket" replacements (no name from ebay, etc.) vs just keeping the old ones one?

Last edited:
I put gasket maker on both sides of the OEM gaskets and put it all back together. Working like a charm.

I put gasket maker on both sides of the OEM gaskets and put it all back together. Working like a charm.
What year is your LS? V8, V6?
(Edit: looks like you have a 2004 V8. Sorry, but the mobile site doesn't show signatures)

Did your original gaskets have tabs or no? You didn't get any pictures, did you?

Last edited:
Also, is there a guide for separating the upper and lower manifold anywhere?
Torque specs?

Do the tabbed gaskets have a part number? Or what other vehicle do they fit, so I'll take it from there?

(the non-tabbed ones are LR006678 from Rover, as noted above)

Awesome! Thanks Drizzle!

If your 04 has the tabs, the probably so does my 03 - as I understand it, the tabs went out in later versions.
(@Andrizzle please, please, correct me if those were from a different year).

Did you have any torque specs for torquing the upper and lower manifold together (or instructions)?

For indexing, here's one of the images Andrizzle posted in the thread he mentioned above, of his 04 Gen2 V8:
tgd4r4b-jpg.jpg

Looks like the Jag XJ8 (also running the AJ-V8 engine, like the S-type and our beloveds) uses similar seals: xj8 intake reseal - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Don't know if they're the same size. Looking for a part number, but those Jag folks seem to have the same issues. Aftermarket also made by Euromarqueautoparts (out of Houston) who sell the same thing for the LS on eBay.

Do the tabbed gaskets have a part number? Or what other vehicle do they fit, so I'll take it from there?

(the non-tabbed ones are LR006678 from Rover, as noted above)
Rover 4526549 look very much like the tabbed ones. Check it out on ebay. They're from the Discovery 3 (LR3), Range Rover & RR Sport.

IMO, at $10 a pop for the aftermarket, might as well spend the $15 (eBay price) and get the OEM ones.

Also on Amazon and
($13, US shipping) Intake Manifold Upper Seal - Land-Rover (4526549) | Genuine Land Rover Parts
($13) Genuine Land Rover - Inlet Manifold Gasket - 4526549
4526549 | Gasket - Land Rover Part 4526549
www.land-rover-parts-shop.com/en/ui/search.php?q=4526549

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Any update on a solution? I read through this thread and the linked threads.

I could start, yet another, "Roger's got lean codes again" thread but thought I would piggyback on this one since it is recent. Here's my sitch...

I have P0171 and P0174 lean codes that come back when the weather gets “cold”. (I live in SoCal so it’s never really THAT cold...sub-60. Yeah, I know...I lived in DC for 20 years, this isn't cold, it's cool but 'cold' relatively.)

I have checked for vacuum leaks and changed all the vacuum hoses (even the little fuel pressure sensor hoses), intake manifold gaskets, fuel pressure sensor, and MAF sensor. Coils and plugs are only 3 years old and Motorcraft.

The car has been running great. Mileage is so so. 24+ on the road but 16-17 in town. I recently ran a couple of tank fulls with cleaners that have PEA: Gumout Regane complete and Techron Concentrate plus. Those really seemed to help throttle response and general 'get up and go'.

This morning the CEL comes on and codes are P0171 and P0174. Here’s what the short term and long term fuel trims looked like after taking my spawn to school and idling back at home in the driveway.

Two things I haven't done are these little intake gaskets or the exhaust manifold gaskets. The O2 sensors seem to be ok in that they track pretty much together and are consistent.

The misfires always seem to pop up during these events as well.

44896263_10215803133782661_7916503309333037056_n.jpg

@rgorke, unfortunately I have no answers for your particular problem.

What I can help with though are some updates on the upper intake manifold gaskets listed above. I can make no recommendations, just provide information.

I took apart my intake manifold (for cooling system rebuild reasons), separating the large plastic plenum part of the manifold from the metal intake runners (that the fuel injectors plug into) and can confirm Andrizzle's findings.
The metal intake runners are attached by ~6mm screws (not bolts) that go straight into the plastic. If the plastic thread cracks or weakens, that might be a source of problems too. Inspect carefully and don't go crazy with the torque.
Note that the fuel rail, etc. stay attached to the metal intake runners.

For my 2003 V8 Sport, the gaskets each have 2 large tabs, much like the ones DeviLSh bought from eBay and wouldn't fit them. Ford doesn't make them. Jaguar doesn't make them. But Land Rover does and they match the Rover 4526549 gaskets, up to and including the 2005 LS year. For 2006, you want Rover LR006678 (seem like the AJ8 engine intake was slightly changed for that year). See the original post in this thread. If you have a 2005, especially the later months, I strongly advise you to check what you have first. The tabs don't really come off and the new part is half the price and more readily available. FYI, the Brits sometimes call intake "inlet". Here's a thread about a 2005 LS.
I have no idea about Gen1 or V6.

The OE ones are grey (look white in some pictures). They are a bit thicker and softer than the ones I got from Rover. The Rover ones are a bit taller, so I imagine they're meant to get a bit crushed. My originals started coming apart during cleaning. I don't regret the decision to replace them.

Options:

Gasket Maker: Some people here have had success with RTV gasket maker. My perspective is that this gasket sees a lot of oil contamination (all the pictures are oily AF) and they're also very close to the fuel injectors, so I imagine they see some gasoline too. RTV is great for oil, but you're not supposed to use it for anything that's exposed to gasoline. That being said, it's probably fine for a patch job that will likely outlast the car. My only opinion on this is that if it doesn't work, you have to waste more time. Like I said, in my case, the old gaskets started breaking apart during cleaning, so be very careful if you choose this route.

Original Land Rover: As explained above, you need 8 of p/n 4526549 (or 8x p/n LR006678 for the 2006 LS). The cheapest and quickest option for me up here in Canada was actually the Rover dealership. I ended up ordering from two separate dealerships: first I bought a single one as a fit test. The dealer closest to me said that's not a real part number, however, the second dealership I called was able to quickly source it for me. When I ordered the other 7, I decided to call the first dealer again, this time armed with my receipt from the other seller; the same parts guy somehow quickly found the part this time without needing any extra information AND actually was selling it for 20% less than the other guy. Ended up paying the equivalent for USD14 per gasket, before sales tax. You guys might be able to procure it cheaper in the US, but maybe not, since these are made in the UK and Canada has some tariff deal with them. If they ask, you can say they're for a gasoline V8 Land Rover Discovery 3 (2004-2005 models only).
(This guy from Dallas on eBay has 7 of them for $13 each - down from $15 last month, so perhaps that's an opportunity for someone. The eBay imposed customs duties did not work for me).

Aftermarket: There are some options on eBay, one of them being "euromarqueautoparts" out of Houston, who also make the LCA hydrabushings (they seem to be trusted here). The price point was too high (price difference too low) for me to merit the risk (I don't know anything about the quality, warranty or customer support), especially seeing how some people here were saying that their gasket is thinner than the stock LS one. Turns out that the last one is a non-issue as the Rover part is also significantly thinner than the LS stock.

Only problem is that I haven't run the car with these installed as of yet. The manifold is not on my car yet (sorry, been busy). I've also never had any vacuum leak problems, just intermittent rough idle and oil "sweating" from the mating area, onto the plastic manifold. I mostly changed these pre-emptively, since I don't want to take this apart again. Happy I did, seeing how they were coming apart during cleaning.

Pictures (taken by me) that say more than I have above:

Side by side: left original LS gasket; right OEM Rover 4526549
Notice the thickness difference.
For color correction, the background is a white facial tissue.
IMG_20181003_022410.jpg

IMG_20181003_022354.jpg

Fit (2003 V8 LS Sport): gray/white original; green OEM Rover 4526549
IMG_20181003_024738.jpg

IMG_20181003_024538.jpg

Close-up fit (2003 V8 LS Sport): gray/white original; green OEM Rover 4526549.
Notice the height difference.
IMG_20181003_024756.jpg
IMG_20181003_024547.jpg

Packaging and part number (OEM Rover 4526549)
IMG_20181003_022041.jpg
IMG_20181003_022100.jpg

Last edited:
The metal intake runners are attached by ~6mm screws (not bolts) that go straight into the plastic. If the plastic thread cracks or weakens, that might be a source of problems too. Inspect carefully and don't go crazy with the torque.
Again, if anyone has any torque specs, please share. Even a guideline for max torque in the manifold plastic material would be useful.
I imagine these could be found in a Land Rover Discovery 3 manual.

@rgorke, unfortunately I have no answers for your particular problem.

What I can help with though are some updates on the upper intake manifold gaskets listed above. I can make no recommendations, just provide information.

I took apart my intake manifold (for cooling system rebuild reasons), separating the large plastic plenum part of the manifold from the metal intake runners (that the fuel injectors plug into) and can confirm Andrizzle's findings.
Note that the fuel rail, etc. stay attached to the metal intake runners.

For my 2003 V8 Sport, the gaskets each have 2 large tabs, much like the ones DeviLSh bought from eBay and wouldn't fit them. Ford doesn't make them. Jaguar doesn't make them. But Land Rover does and they match the Rover 4526549 gaskets, up to and including the 2005 LS year. For 2006, you want Rover LR006678 (seem like the AJ8 engine intake was slightly changed for that year). See the original post in this thread. If you have a 2005, especially the later months, I strongly advise you to check what you have first. The tabs don't really come off and the new part is half the price and more readily available. FYI, the Brits sometimes call intake "inlet". Here's a thread about a 2005 LS.
I have no idea about Gen1 or V6.

The OE ones are grey (look white in some pictures). They are a bit thicker and softer than the ones I got from Rover. The Rover ones are a bit taller, so I imagine they're meant to get a bit crushed. My originals started coming apart during cleaning. I don't regret the decision to replace them.

Options:

Gasket Maker: Some people here have had success with RTV gasket maker. My perspective is that this gasket sees a lot of oil contamination (all the pictures are oily AF) and they're also very close to the fuel injectors, so I imagine they see some gasoline too. RTV is great for oil, but you're not supposed to use it for anything that's exposed to gasoline. That being said, it's probably fine for a patch job that will likely outlast the car. My only opinion on this is that if it doesn't work, you have to waste more time. Like I said, in my case, the old gaskets started breaking apart during cleaning, so be very careful if you choose this route.

Original Land Rover: As explained above, you need 8 of p/n 4526549 (or 8x p/n LR006678 for the 2006 LS). The cheapest and quickest option for me up here in Canada was actually the Rover dealership. I ended up ordering from two separate dealerships: first I bought a single one as a fit test. The dealer closest to me said that's not a real part number, however, the second dealership I called was able to quickly source it for me. When I ordered the other 7, I decided to call the first dealer again, this time armed with my receipt from the other seller; the same parts guy somehow quickly found the part this time without needing any extra information AND actually was selling it for 20% less than the other guy. Ended up paying the equivalent for USD14 per gasket, before sales tax. You guys might be able to procure it cheaper in the US, but maybe not, since these are made in the UK and Canada has some tariff deal with them. If they ask, you can say they're for a gasoline V8 Land Rover Discovery 3 (2004-2005 models only).
(This guy from Dallas on eBay has 7 of them for $13 each - down from $15 last month, so perhaps that's an opportunity for someone. The eBay imposed customs duties did not work for me).

Aftermarket: There are some options on eBay, one of them being "euromarqueautoparts" out of Houston, who also make the LCA hydrabushings (they seem to be trusted here). The price point was too high (price difference too low) for me to merit the risk (I don't know anything about the quality, warranty or customer support), especially seeing how some people here were saying that their gasket is thinner than the stock LS one. Turns out that the last one is a non-issue as the Rover part is also significantly thinner than the LS stock.

Only problem is that I haven't run the car with these installed as of yet. The manifold is not on my car yet (sorry, been busy). I've also never had any vacuum leak problems, just intermittent rough idle and oil "sweating" from the mating area, onto the plastic manifold. I mostly changed these pre-emptively, since I don't want to take this apart again. Happy I did, seeing how they were coming apart during cleaning.

Pictures (taken by me) that say more than I have above:

Side by side: left original LS gasket; right OEM Rover 4526549
Notice the thickness difference.
For color correction, the background is a white facial tissue.
View attachment 828570761
View attachment 828570760

Fit (2003 V8 LS Sport): gray/white original; green OEM Rover 4526549
View attachment 828570765
View attachment 828570767

Close-up fit (2003 V8 LS Sport): gray/white original; green OEM Rover 4526549.
Notice the height difference.
View attachment 828570766 View attachment 828570764

Packaging and part number (OEM Rover 4526549)
View attachment 828570758 View attachment 828570759

Thanks, that helps a lot. I have a 2004 V8, so I should be looking at the ones you got, right?

My "issue" is that I am not exactly sure of if and where the leak is. So, replacing these gaskets is very much an educated guess since I have changed everything else.

What’s frustrating that later in the day, the fuel trims were where they should be +\- 5% and the CEL went off. Ugh!!! Gonna try and do a smoke test first thing in the morning.

My "issue" is that I am not exactly sure of if and where the leak is.
Could be in a lot of places. There's a manifold gasket in the front and one in the back. There's another one (a spacer) between the throttle body and the throttle elbow. Worst case, your manifold might be cracked somewhere. Or there might be a leak anywhere between the MAF and the manifold, such as any of the joining point or the intake plenum (if you still have the stock airbox).
Running lean can also mean that you're not getting enough gas. Perhaps one of the injectors is malfunctioning or your fuel pump is not doing its job well enough. The fuel pressure sensor should tell you about that, but maybe thats not working all that well. Could it be that the additives you put in may have done something to one of those elements? Anyway, I wouldn't shy away from starting a new thread on this.

I think I may have found the issue. This morning on first start up, I pulled out my propane bottle and pointed it around all the vacuum areas. I monitored my STFT and LTFT as I moved it around. I put it right up next to the intake manifold on the drivers side by the fire wall. After a few seconds, the STFT went from +25 down to - 10 - 15.

So, it appears I have a slight vacuum leak back there at the intake manifold. I was pointing it right where the plastic part meets the metal part of the manifold.

At least now I have some idea of where the problem is. Now, it is getting those small gaskets!!!

I think you are probably on to it, but while you are there, take a look at the big vacuum hose that goes to the check valve for the brake vacuum booster. It's right above where you were pointing the propane. Those hoses do get porous over time (unless you already replaced it).

I think you are probably on to it, but while you are there, take a look at the big vacuum hose that goes to the check valve for the brake vacuum booster. It's right above where you were pointing the propane. Those hoses do get porous over time (unless you already replaced it).
Thanks Joe, I replaced that one already...It comes in 3 parts, right...from the back of the manifold, to a connector to the brake booster and also to the intake nozzle...

Also, are there gaskets for the part that connects to the back of the manifold, the piece where the hose above connects? I figured I might as well change all of them while I am at it...

Members online

Back