Hard Shift

Yeah whoever designed this transmission should be fired. My grandmas Explorer has a version of this trans too and the solenoid pack shot craps on it too.

If that is 260k MILES... then I say you have nothing to complain about with the tranny. Even if the whole car were to go to sh!t at this point... I'd STILL say you have nothing to complain about.

I hope I get that many miles out of mine. 80K to go before I get there.

I am thoroughly impressed with how well built these cars are. That transmission really is the only inexcusable flaw with these cars. Everything else is pretty simple.

Also my LS drives like a new car. Super smooth and everything still works. Very impressive

Tranny on these things aren't really all that bad, I wouldn't go as far as calling it a design flaw. Form fit function ....

I don't know. I am a big fan of the LS, but it has the worst transmission I have experienced so far. Yes, it's not that bad, but even when both were new, the transmissions were not as smooth as the one on my 325i at 180K and 15 years.

Tranny on these things aren't really all that bad, I wouldn't go as far as calling it a design flaw.
AGREED!!! Sh!t will go wrong more than once at 260k. Especially withy electro-mechanical parts. Many years ago... a person would be happy if they got 150K on a transmission,,, and back in that day the were all mechanical, (or partially vacuum operated.

The LS is not a magical wonder... but just a good representation of modern technological advancement.

Get used to everything being electrical nowadays,,, and get used to electrical failures.

Not directed at you Rigs. You responded to "others",,, and I'm just backing up what you are saying... with facts. Cars and trucks are much more advanced than they used to be... but with advancement,,, comes other "quirks".

Okay. No trans fix for me. I assume it'll last three more weeks until spring break and then I'll just fix it

And I'd rather not drive a flying car. Having had a car die on me while driving, I was thankful that I was in the ground and not in the sky.

I suppose I would have a different opinion if I had one fail on me drastically. So far so good, just my 04 LSE a slight harsh shift in and out of Park but I know better the hang in Neutral for a split second before Park or into Drive. This seems to eliminate the problem. Also careful about parking it while leaning on the Trans.

Gotta remember it's a Ford product after all. Automakers are not in business of providing transmission that last a lifetime. Joe Q Public wouldn't be back every 5 to 8 years buying new cars or more parts from them if that was the case.

Overall as an individual that has not yet had to replace or repair the LS trans I feel it's paired with the 3.9L reasonable well.

However ... stay tuned, I'll be the guy up front bitching about these PITA trans if and when it does blow up on me and forces me to open wallet, I'm sure.

No secret I paid very little for my 04 LSE, put coils n plugs in it and beat on it regularly. Ride her hard and put her away wet as they say. Not going to last forever.

We should also take into consideration the recommended required fluid n filter change intervals .... I mean, who does that religiously?

I have +/-169K on my '02. Bought it new. When I decided to go ECTA racing at +/- 100K I got an SCT tuner. One of the things I changed was to raise the line pressure in the trans for a bit firmer shifts. I also changed the fluid and filter at that time. FWIW, I've had no problem with my 5R55N trans at all.

KS

Having had a car die on me while driving, I was thankful that I was in the ground and not in the sky.

LOL... that's always been my argument with airplanes,,, you can't just pull off to the side of the road. Although at the same time... I have been in a flying car unintentionally. It wasn't fun. :eek:

I have relatives who've died in planes that just quit in mid air. Luckily most states require planes to have part life cycles.

Sorry to hear that about your relatives. Military does the life cycle thing with everything. Automotive does too,,, but it's not advertised. It's called part life expectancy. Why do you think it takes a year or 2 for a new model to make it to market. They abuse and drive the sh!t out of them... to test the engineers designs.

Why you think stuff starts breaking the next month after your warranty expired?

Hello gentlemen...not sure if I'm better off starting a new thread for a similar issue, or hijacking this one so I'm taking my chances with a hijack here. If I'd be better off posting a new topic I can certainly do that, just let me know.

I have a 2004 LS Sport 3.9L, with +/- 130k miles on it, and I've had it for 4 years. It has been a great car, with a few of the typical LS issues, but the current one we are struggling with is the hard shifting. It has pretty much always had a bit of a hard shift into 3rd gear, but not horrible or concerning, and the same with reverse, a bit of a hesitation then a hard-ish shift and then all good. Recently, the shift into 3rd has gotten harsher, but she's now developed what I'd call a hard shudder-shift into 4th gear as well. We assumed it was a tranny issue and took it to a reputable shop, he pulled it apart and said everything in the transmission looks and works beautifully, that its something electrical causing the hard shifts. We have since, at the suggestion of a Ford mechanic family member, changed the throttle body and that made no difference. I'd hate to just keep throwing money and parts at it until something fixes it, hopefully someone else here has had the same problem and can give me an educated guess as to what else to try? It seems to shift perfectly smooth for about the first 3-5 minutes of operation, then it develops that hard shift into 3rd, then between 5-10 minutes of use it starts the shuddering into 4th gear.

So, anyone have any suggestions? It shifts hard enough that its to the point that I've parked it and I've been driving the husbands Buick for a few weeks and I'm more than ready to get back into my Lincoln! :)

One other minor, unrelated issue, the keyless entry code no longer works to unlock the door. I key in my code and the seats move to the memory 1 setting, but the doors remain firmly locked. Any ideas on that one?

Members online

Back