Hard Shift

Thanks for the replies guys. I removed the solenoid pack and the pcm and took them to the shop and my dad tested them both. Both failed. I just started a new job alongside engineering school so I will have to find something else to drive. Especially since my Iroc only runs when it feels like it(it's all I have left)

Sorry to hear that. Probably an issue with the connector.

So... what's up with the iroc??? Won't start when damp, humid or raining... or runs fine and dies while driving? HEI is usually pretty reliable,,, but if I had to venture a guess... i'd say the problem is somewhere in the distributor.

There was a giant plastic bag sucked up into the air intake under the plate. It would occasionally spread out causing the car to lose power. I shoved my arm way up there and pulled it out. It was one of those giant Dillard's bags

Well... who could have seen that coming??? Now... just don't give up on the LS. Call what you went through,,, a "leanering experience". Ya... it's gonna take some money to fix properly,,, but you will have "learned" through "experience" before it's over.

Is it any wonder why cars are called "she"??? They can be finicky tempermental beasts,,, that don't always tell us what they need... and can act up without warning,,, when we don't give them the attention they need. (and sometimes you get one abused one by someone else... and it's a challenge to fix her). Love them either way,,, and hope it works out... but it takes alot of effort on your part!!!

Take that as good advice and wise experience for all of life!!!

To be honest the car has just been sitting there waiting to be fixed. I would like to remove the whole trans to pcm harness and recheck my wiring(fingers crossed) and try again. The computer was fixed by a software update. Any advise on removal of the transmission harness? I don't fully know what is connected to it but I do know that it is separate from the main harness and looks like this.

IMG_0160.PNG

As I said before,,, you should be able to trace it back to the previous harness connection. Yeah,,, its tight above the trans but with some "finesse" you should be able to figure out where the harness connection on the tranny actually terminates. I haven't had to worry about this on the LS,,, but someone else on this forum shoud be able to tell you what you need to know, (actually I think they already hinted at this).

Joe... any suggestions???

Either way... at this point you're gonna need a PCM/ECM and new trans solenoid. Something fried something else,,, due to improper electrical (re)connection.

Yeah at this point I'm going to replace the solenoid with warranty, the pcm just came back passed and updated, and replace the harness. Now I just need to know where to begin with removing that harness

The manual says that you have to lower the transmission some to be able to disconnect the harness. It shows three connections on the top of the transmission, in addition to the solenoid pack connection and the connections on the side.

s6x~us~en~file=a0002280.gif~gen~ref.gif

Do you have an electronic version of this manual that I could possibly borrow from you? Also any advice on the part of this harness that is bolted to the back of the engine?

Thanks. I hope that I can reach the connectors without removing anything. If I have to lower the trans how would you suggest doing that? I can't afford anymore bs wasted time

After first disconnecting the battery, I would pull the harness plug on the back of the intake first. Then comes the labor intensive part.

You are gonna have to pull the back half of the exhaust,,, and the trans tunnel cover. You MAY be able to get away with not having to pull the driveshaft. Support the trans with a floor jack,,, and pull the trans crossmember. This should give you a couple of inches to get to the harness plugs. Lower the trans slowly and have a second set of eyballs watching to make sure you don't crush anything.

It would be safest once the trans is lowered enough... to support it on a jack stand,,, rather than trusting the jack. If the nose of the driveshaft gets in a bind while lowering... then you will have to at least drop the center carrier bearing, (center driveshaft support), on the driveshaft. You just have to make sure when re installing the carrier bearing,,, you get it lined up exactly where it was.

Careful not to mess up the trans tailshaft seal... or you will be back under there again.

Obviously... a boneyard might be a good place, (inexpensive), to source the harness. You know what to look for when it comes to that. :oops: Not sure if the harness needs to be year specific or not.

Joe???

This post was exactly what I needed. I am going to try to do this tonight after class. My hopes are to repair the harness with it off the car. that will allow me to split it open and perform the repair. It is possible to do pin to pin using the pcm connector. If it is too complicated I will be junkyard hopping until I find the part.

I get WHY you want to fix the old harness. At this point it is personal,,, and you want to fix whatever was done... that caused the PCM and solenoid failure. However... the more you open something up,,, and splice it together... the more probablity to introduce another place that invites corrosion.

I honestly suggest going to a bonyard and finding a used harness with solid/intact connectors. I'd guess it would cost less than $100. You might even get lucky and find an LS with the trans already pulled,,, with the harness sitting there hanging under the car... waiting for a new home. :cool:

Ill make a few calls. either way the harness is coming off of the car. Ill let you know

Yeah all of my local yards don't have the harness. Only one yard has an LS and it is a V6 car.

Well,,, don't have a valid zip code... but this may be a start in the right direction.

Search Results

Add a good zip code,,, and something may come up.

If they're selling other wiring harnesses,,, most like the cars are mostly stripped. At least to the point that the big ticket items are gone, (that are worth anything).

I know that the places you called said they didn't have one... but truthfully it's probably not worth their time to pull what you are looking for. They would consider that part inconsequencial. So even if they said "no",,, that doesn't actually mean no.

Might take some legwork and driving to find a harness. In the process you might find other parts needed and wanted.

In recently helping a friend,,, I spent a few hours in a boneyard. Out of curiosity,,, I asked about the sunroof glass for an LS. I was told $40 if I pull it... and $75 if they did it. There was one sitting loose on the roof of one LS,,, so no labor time involved. That was a "no brainer".

Wow. That's surprising! The only yard with an LS in my area has a V6 which has a different harness. It is still worth it to stop by the yard though and rob some parts. I was able to remove the harness without even touching the exhaust or transmission. I repaired and soldered the wires and shrink wrapped the connections. The harness looks like it is brand new and is wrapped as such. The part that had messsd me up last week is that the signal return wire goes through some sort of resister with three other wires and comes out on the other end as a different color. Now I know that the wiring is correct. Now it's just a warranty solenoid pack.

Okay everyone. The car is back on the road and hopefully shifting smooth from here on out.

Bnewton, I ended up sending my PCM to SAI and they said the trans circuit was trashed. They rebuilt it and the car is shifting great.

Members online

No members online now.
Back