What did you do to your LS today?

installed the new DCCV and bled the coolant system, replaced clockspring, changed a window regulator and door handle.

Now I have ice cold A/C, steering controls work, window rolls up and down, and I can actually open the door. Think I'm golden now. Just need a tint.

Put it up for sale - parts or repair

New clockspring and door handle made it so I was really loving this car. But then it developed a knocking noise in the engine. I have spent a couple hours trying to diagnose it but am not there yet. I even bought a new compression tester since my other two could not reach into the spark plug bore; not so much reach, but get passed the small counterbore in the head before the threads start.

Was hoping to install the new DCCV, but I guess that isn't a priority now.

it's on Ann Arbor Craigslist

IMG_0275.JPG

Bought new tires. Brought em back 2 days later. After two tries at balancing the tires, I still had a shimmy and steering wheel shake that I never had before. Tire shop blamed it on the aftermarket OZ wheels on the car. 'We always have trouble with aftermarket wheels' they said. Is that anyone's experience here? Cause an awful lot of aftermarkets are sold and they cant all be shimiying. Yes, they had center rings of the right size.

a lot of people have found the only way they get rid of a little vibration was to have the tires/wheels road forced balance.

When I customized my 84 Ranger and ran 35" wranglers I ran in to that from time to time. What it boils down to in my experience is 1) experience of the tech and/or quality of his machine is low 2) the rim is bent out of position so much that it cant be brought back in to balance.

Custom wheel and tire shops will have the tools and experience to analyze the rim itself, and leave that out of the equation.

After I switched to the Jaguar rims a few weeks back I had a noticeable front end shimmy problem at about 75 MPH. I had the rims spun ahead of time to make sure they were true and straight so I thought this was very strange. I took the car back to the shop and it turned out that on one of the fronts, they had accidentally mounted the high side of one of the tires on the high side of that rim. They marked the wheel and tire, then dismounted that tire, spun it 180 degrees in relationship to the rim, then remounted the tire and balanced the assembly. No more shimmy.

Picked up some new wipers at Walmart, when I stopped to grab some spray paint.

I am doing my cooling system tomorrow, so my strut bar, wiper arms etc are off. Painted my wiper arms, they look 1000x better, and I am also going to throw a couple coats on the cowl.

When I was out in the garage tonight I noticed the plastic strips that go up either side of the windshield just unscrew. Those were also very gray as well, vs black like they should be. Cleaned them off, and shot them with a few coats of satin black, its night and day!

Before
20541BBE-039B-4308-B363-4D0D33FCC9A2_zpspksvlqe5.jpg

After
FD2916D3-6454-4790-9B29-9119C18022D4_zpsjvvidsjx.jpg

5C6EE24F-5C59-4008-B9F4-DD85EAE99687_zps2upf2zui.jpg

Drivers side
D9D8F6FE-CAD4-4C2A-8712-D1228C53DF2D_zpscxevc8sr.jpg

Not the greatest pics, but i'm working with very limited space in the garage at the moment.

Bought a spare degas in good condition at pic a part for 11 bucks. Keep this one in the trunk for just in case

Glad to hear it,Brian! That's what we're SUPPOSED to be doing.......not fixing them all the time.LOL!
Question: So how much time and expense is it to replace all the plastic parts?
I've replaced a water pump and a thermostat on my 03,v8, but thankfully due to NO pressure on the system,I've never had to replace anything else.
Glad you're running...........and I hope you never have any cooling system problems again. don-ohio :)^)

Right! Ive driven mine a whole 5 days now! Lol, its a great car though, I really love this thing.

Plastic parts- It wasn't bad at all. The worst part for me was having butterfingers and dropping bolts/gaskets. No joke, I literally spent more time fishing out dropped parts than installing everything. Oh, and the bolt I tried to reuse and accidentally snapped the head off.

At 187k, I assume my engine/trans will die before these parts fail, so im not worried about it :)

Hope she runs a long time for you,Brian! I think I'll take the older(in miles) to Florida in about 3 weeks. Check out the storm damage in the locale of our house-hunting. don-ohio :)^)

Good luck on your trip, take and share pictures with us. I love Florida. Been there a few times, but its been 10+ years now. Planning on a few future vacations between Florida and California.

Thanks,Brian! I want to see which part of the area I'm interested in was hit the worst by wind and water. I'll take pics but can't post them. My boys live too far away to help.LOL! don-ohio :^)

After I switched to the Jaguar rims a few weeks back I had a noticeable front end shimmy problem at about 75 MPH. I had the rims spun ahead of time to make sure they were true and straight so I thought this was very strange. I took the car back to the shop and it turned out that on one of the fronts, they had accidentally mounted the high side of one of the tires on the high side of that rim. They marked the wheel and tire, then dismounted that tire, spun it 180 degrees in relationship to the rim, then remounted the tire and balanced the assembly. No more shimmy.

To finish story of my wheels/tires: I had them put my tires back on and that was that. But they showed me damage to one of the wheels that had gotten 'stuck in their balance machine'. Not a big deal, but they offered to fix it and I will let them. I put on my chrome 17" wheels with Tiger Paws on them which have maybe 10,000 miles left. No shimmy. But front end is creaking like crazy. Embarrassing to drive. Must find and fix. It started with the new tires but I cant see how they could have caused t. Must be coincidence.

Above was my 2000 silver LS. I also have a grey one, 2001, which has normal OEM LS wheels and also needed tires. Took it to same place cause they had worked with me on the other problem. Bought a set of Firehawk AS 215/60 R16s. They ride great. No shimmy, car handled great today (first day with them) in the pouring rain, which we need here. I'm happy. Also on this car I had replaced both front shocks a few days ago with $12 ones from rock auto. Much better AND this fixed 95% of the noise in the front end. There's just one thump that is barely heard. Probably sway bar bushings and I probably wont fix any time soon if ever. Great. Car has 125K and with this new H/W and tires it inspires confidence and the engine is VERY strong. Now I have to fix the drivers door handle. Kinda bummed out cause I didn't know I'd have to deal with rivets.

...I put on my chrome 17" wheels with Tiger Paws on them which have maybe 10,000 miles left. No shimmy. But front end is creaking like crazy. Embarrassing to drive. Must find and fix. It started with the new tires but I cant see how they could have caused t. Must be coincidence.

Above was my 2000 silver LS. I also have a grey one, 2001, which has normal OEM LS wheels and also needed tires. Took it to same place cause they had worked with me on the other problem. Bought a set of Firehawk AS 215/60 R16s. They ride great. No shimmy, car handled great today (first day with them) in the pouring rain, which we need here. I'm happy. Also on this car I had replaced both front shocks a few days ago with $12 ones from rock auto. Much better AND this fixed 95% of the noise in the front end. There's just one thump that is barely heard. Probably sway bar bushings and I probably wont fix any time soon if ever. Great. Car has 125K and with this new H/W and tires it inspires confidence and the engine is VERY strong. Now I have to fix the drivers door handle. Kinda bummed out cause I didn't know I'd have to deal with rivets.

Tiger Paws, eh? You know Uniroyal, they make a real nice tire.

Members online

Back