Lincoln ls v6 or lincoln ls v8

Lincoln ls V6 vs Lincoln ls V8

• Total voters
Hey gang, sorry to bring back an old thread, but I'm reading as much as I can trying to make an informed decision.

I'm looking at buying a LS in the next few weeks. Lots of decent cars out there, some V8s and some V6s. This will be a DD for me with low miles put on it - I do ~75 miles per week. I know I'm probably different than many on this forum, but reliability and low maintenance, not performance, are the priority. With that said, I certainly don't mind the power of a V8, I just don't want to pay for it in $$$ and aggravation.

So, are the V6 models any more reliable than the V8s? I own a 2002 Conti and it hasn't been to the shop in 2.5 years. Am I going to be able to get the same out of any LS?

TIA for any and all thoughts.

My opinion is the gen II V8. It's easier to work on (like changing the plugs and coils) than the V6. I've had two for 8 and 10 years, and about 300K miles combined.
On the other hand, if you are looking at gen I only (I wouldn't), I'd stay away from the gen I V8.

A little more about my thoughts - the mechanic at the garage that does all of the work on our cars does not like the LS. He'll do it, but doesn't like to. This is why I'm looking for the best way to keep out of the shop.

I am looking at gen 2s only. So is there any major difference in the reliability of the V8 and the V6?

The car under consideration today is a 04 V6 with 70k on the odo for $6,500. what say you experts?

Joegr also answered your question and he is 100% right. Barely any benefits to the V6.

if you are looking at gen I only (I wouldn't), I'd stay away from the gen I V8.

whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... easy thunder. I'll put my service history up against any v6 (or second gen for that matter).

that said.. you can't deny improvements were made with gen II's

I wanted to type also ...."louis this is not my Batman glass" :)

i'm not going to lie, after owning both, there is no way I could look at a 1st gen again... there were just a few things that drove me crazy that they had fixed with the revisions.

This car requires very regular cooling system and coil replacements (COPs for the accuracy Nazis), and requires fairly regular attention to the suspension. Not a car for someone looking for a reliable daily driver. Plus, parts are getting to be problematic to find, coil and cooling system parts can be a scavenger hunt and interior parts are getting to be impossible to buy. The LS IMO is more for someone who drives their car occasionally and has room for an extra LS parts car. For a reliable daily driver, you'd do better to buy some mass-produced domestic appliance that everyone and their brother drives. Parts are available everywhere, mechanics are very familiar with them, and parts will be cheaper compared to foreign makes. Personally I don't like the LS much (not every car is a good fit for everyone, and this car just doesn't suit me) and after owning it a couple of years I regret buying mine, but even if I did like the car I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver due to the issues above. This car is more of a weekender/vacation car that you can afford to not drive for an extended period if necessary. IMO, of course, there are others here who disagree with my opinion of the car, but they're just fanboys :D .

...Not a car for someone looking for a reliable daily driver. ...

Funny, I have two that are both daily drivers. So far, a combined 300K or so miles driven and never left stranded. I do agree that they require more maintenance than a Town Car, and parts are harder to find.

Funny, I have two that are both daily drivers. So far, a combined 300K or so miles driven and never left stranded. I do agree that they require more maintenance than a Town Car, and parts are harder to find.

Same here. My wife's sprung a leak in her mother's garage, 88 miles fro home. That could be considered stranded, but the AAA towed us home and I got done with the repair about an hour ago. We've got about 375K combined miles....

Yes. Seems like when I don't daily it, the problems start to come up. Hates sitting.

It's one thing to have had them for years as a daily, but I can't recommend someone looking for a reliable DD TODAY to get an LS as one, and it's because of the ever tightening parts supply combined with more and more mechanics looking under the hood and looking lost. Even the Lincoln dealers are having problems understanding the LS anymore, at least in my area. My own opinion of the car has no bearing on my opinion along these lines. I also wouldn't recommend a 72 Buick Skylark as a daily driver, and I've been looking for one of them for years as a restoration project.

Get a Town Car and be done with it...

lol, actually, a colleague is retiring next year and has said I will be inheriting his 00 TC. We shall see.

That said, I'm looking for something now. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and I'm thinking it all over. I'm easy on cars and have a back up, so I might go for it knowing I could be in for a headache. The dwindling supply of parts is a big concern, however.

I found a 04 V8 tonight with under 85k miles and I am waiting to hear back on the price.

Members online

No members online now.
Back