What did you do to your LS today?

Started the LS. Let it idle for about 20 minutes. Shut it off. Closed the garage door.

many conrads Telco ... so now you working again, perhaps time for an LS CEL ?

going to install my reverse lights today

20140115_093850.jpg

20140115_093814.jpg

I love this site! All the good-looking LS models!WOW!!!!
Yesterday I jacked up the car,removed the wheels and was checking for something that might cause a wandering steering when road is uneven. Couldn't find anything except worn rear lateral arms,and even then couldn't see any play in them.
The other time this happened was a coupla' years ago after I incorrectly installed the large mounting washers on a new steering rack from Auto-Zone. The box became loose really quickly and I went to Ford and they showed me a schematic which explained I hadn't paid close attention when removing the bolts.
So today I'm gonna block èr up and slide under and check for steering box looseness.I ordered the lateral arms from Amazon.com #JA-L607 and they won't be coming for awhile.
Anyway,that's what's going on with my LS......GREAT CAR!! don-ohio :)^)

^sick , i need to re-tint my taillights

5 days ago i ordered DDM tunings HID 55W kit with 5ks, cant wait for them to show up

many conrads Telco ... so now you working again, perhaps time for an LS CEL ?

Damn I hope not! I blew the engine in my truck last month and sold my house this month, and am down to just the LS. I don't need it breaking right now too!

Just one last major bill to go, and I'll have no bills at all aside from my monthly bills. I don't suppose anyone would be interested in buying 15 acres on Keystone Lake near Tulsa, would they? Comes with part of the lake!

Part of the year the northwest corner is in the water, and with a little dredging work it would be full year access. Would also require Corps of Engineers approval to dredge it out. The part that goes underwater is on a bluff, and only about a quarter acre of so goes under. There's an excellent view of the west side of the lake, or at least what they call the lake but what I really call the feeder river. Keystone Lake is fed by the Arkansas River and the Cimmaron River, and it's the Cimmaron that the land is off of.

Ghost, did you have to solder in resistors on your reverse lights to get them to 'turn off' and not generate codes or were those plug and play? Looks like they are very bright!

^ subscribed!

I had to pull my LED back up bulbs back out cause they stayed lightly dimmed but
no bulb out error, would like to revisit and get past this "resistor needed" problem.

^ subscribed!

I had to pull my LED back up bulbs back out cause they stayed lightly dimmed but
no bulb out error, would like to revisit and get past this "resistor needed" problem.

I assume that the dim light when it should be off bothered you?
They would turn off completely about twenty to thirty minutes after you last did anything to the car. They aren't running the battery down. There's less power being wasted in them than in the regular bulbs. (They just won't glow at that amount of power.) The load resistor will actually increase the amount of battery power being wasted, but it will deprive the LEDs of enough power to glow.

no sir , i just plugged then in , they do not stay lit , no codes or anything , they are very bright for 10 watts

Ghost, did you have to solder in resistors on your reverse lights to get them to 'turn off' and not generate codes or were those plug and play? Looks like they are very bright!

Just get bulbs from v-leds.com and you will be fine no message not dim no nothing

The glowing LED problem is residual power in the circuit. Think about a laptop computer with a transformer in the power cable. When you unplug the computer first, then the wall power, the LED on the transformer stays on. If you then plug the power line back into the computer, the light goes out almost immediately but if you just leave it it'll take forever to lose power. It occurs to me that the glowing LED problem may be just a similar loading of power on the wiring. Yes, it would not be as much power as a transformer/rectifier but is apparently enough to keep an LED glowing.

Anyone who does know basic electronics feel free to correct me on this because while I work on high tech telecom gear I don't ever mess with componentry. I've not had any basic electronics training or any need to use it since 1989 :D . Anyway, my thinking is that a strong resistor (like 5K - 10K) can be wired from the power wire to ground, attached between the switch and the LED. When power is on, power would take the path of least resistance so would flow through the LED to ground. There would be a very small amount of power flowing through the resistor but since it would be a strong resistor, power flow would be very low. When power is switched off, the LED would now have two paths to ground, one on either side of the LED. Even though the resistor would be very resistive to current flow, it wouldn't have a lot of current to move. This should drain the power out of the LED very quickly when switched off, ending the problem, while not putting the large drain that an in-line resistor would add.

Now I don't have this problem so I'm not going to experiment, but if anyone does want to experiment to see how this would work I would strongly recommend building a circuit to test this, not test this directly on the car. If something didn't work right you don't want to smoke your car's wiring.

The glowing LEDs are caused by the intentional "leakage" current that the REM and FEM source to the lights. This current is being sourced so that the REM and FEM can detect if there is a light connected or not. After the car goes to sleep, the REM and the FEM shut these sense currents off. The sense/leakage current is not nearly enough to cause any glow from a normal bulb, but it is enough to get some glow out of an LED.

Refinished the lights.....again.

And installed my 6000k DDM tuning HIDsIMAG0422.jpgIMAG0425.jpg

BTW, Anyone interested in DDM 6000K HIDs? Long story, but DDM sent me two pairs. Never opened or used.

IMAG0422.jpg

IMAG0425.jpg

Members online

Back