Yellow tinted Gen1 HID housings?

anryu451

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I recently purchased a pair of HID Gen 1 housings from a fellow, and one of them is gorgeous, nice and clear. The other one is actually clear, not scratched up or anything, but the lense is a completely yellow tint, it almost reminds me of a foglight tint.

Anyone ever run across this before? I can tell these are spares and didnt come off of the same car, but is it a UV damage thing, anyway to restore, or is the yellow one borked?

I can post pictures of the housings if needbe.

Always post pics, even if not needed, some of us can't read

Always post pics, even if not needed, some of us can't read

Me, I only look at the pics.....:p To the OP, you should have looked at pics before buying. Not really sure how your purchase took place but you can't always go on someones word. If you can take them back or send them back for a refund, I would do so and spend the $300 and buy these. If someone don't get these soon, I'm going to and I would be doing it and stashing them.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/290718266295?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649[/URL]

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/290718264639?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649[/URL]

Just so you know, new ones are now going for close to $300 just for one and these look just about as good as mine do but mine are only less than 3 years old and they have HID bulbs inside, not halogens. I can show you many pics of the light output you could have if you bought those two housings and installed an HID kit. I promise, it's worth it. I have had refurbished housings before and they are good but not the same. I have had HID's in both, refurbished and new housings and I know first hand that there is a difference and it's bigger than one would think.

I looked at over 10 pics provided, but looking at the pics again? It became yellow in shipping it seems. The light in question was clear in the pics, and I can tell its the same one.

I'm wondering how it could have changed color due to shipping damage, will post pics tonight.

Me, I only look at the pics.....:p To the OP, you should have looked at pics before buying. Not really sure how your purchase took place but you can't always go on someones word. If you can take them back or send them back for a refund, I would do so and spend the $300 and buy these. If someone don't get these soon, I'm going to and I would be doing it and stashing them.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/290718266295?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649[/URL]

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/290718264639?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649[/URL]

Just so you know, new ones are now going for close to $300 just for one and these look just about as good as mine do but mine are only less than 3 years old and they have HID bulbs inside, not halogens. I can show you many pics of the light output you could have if you bought those two housings and installed an HID kit. I promise, it's worth it. I have had refurbished housings before and they are good but not the same. I have had HID's in both, refurbished and new housings and I know first hand that there is a difference and it's bigger than one would think.

Lights don't become yellow in shipping. IF the original seller showed you pics of 2 clean and clear lenses, and shipped you one that is yellow, then said person has committed fraud.

Here are the pics of the headlights in question.

2ufrak9.jpg

2640zo7.jpg

fc1rft.jpg

28qrqjn.jpg

Any ideas on how to get the yellow one to look like the clear one?

Lights don't become yellow in shipping. IF the original seller showed you pics of 2 clean and clear lenses, and shipped you one that is yellow, then said person has committed fraud.

I agree with this comment. Not sure about fraud but my words for it would be just plain bullshidden someone and screwing them over, just like that guy done me on the center caps I bought. He said they were new and then I get some that looked awful and they were all scratched up. I sent them back and he fixed the problem and made it right but none of them were new. I did end up with two that were not scratched up from him though. Some sellers simply just suck!

Here are the pics of the headlights in question.

Any ideas on how to get the yellow one to look like the clear one?

I personally don't see that happening unless someone on here with real experience can separate the outer lens from the housing. Maybe Sapperfire would be up to the challenge. I would trust him to get the yellow one back to normal but it doesn't look like those two come from the same car, at all. Those are LSC housings and I don't know what you paid but if it was more than $150 to $200, that was too much, even for LSC housings. I'm just a picky person and those would never go on my car until both of them were thoroughly gone over, wet sanded and cleaned up nice with a clear UV coating put on them. That's just me though. There is no way that housing turned yellow like that during shipping and you can give the seller this link and let him see that we know our Mark VIII's very well. If he sent you pics of two clear housings and you ended up with that, I'd be more than pissed off. He would be getting those back or sending me the other one that is clear. What he done isn't right and if you have proof pics of what he said and showed, I'd fight it if he did not comply with your request to send you one that matches the other.

Do you have any pics of how he posted them for sale?Both of those housings need to be taken apart and cleaned up good, now that I have seen the drivers side housing. It's not in the greatest shape either. If you could just get your money back, that's what I'd do but again, that's just me. I think 94m5 (Mike) on here has some for sale but he mentioned being on the fence about selling them so I'm not sure if he is still selling or not but what you have just wouldn't cut it for me.

These are among 10 pics total that he sent me, and I paid 300 plus 15 shipping for the pair

infx49.jpg

14l53ww.jpg

These are the pics he sent me, and I paid 300 plus 15 shipping for the pair

infx49.jpg

Now, that one there does look a bit more dirty on the outside than the drivers side but if that's what he sent you, than I would agree that he did send you the same exact housings and with those two pics, they do appear to have come off the same car but I still don't understand how they became so yellow, especially with the passengers side housing. You might get lucky and be able to just clean the outer lens with something like PlastiX
41FKlzSYeuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
and use a good buffer and a good clean pad and see what you have after that. Seeing your pics seems to have a more yellowish look because of their background. They might look better if they were setting on something with a brighter color and better lighting but it does look like he sent what he pictured now that I have seen the pics he sent you.

something is sketchy.

You're telling me, I got an email off to this guy to see if he'd do a refund. He said he didnt notice any yellowing when I asked him about it this morning.

I'm with-holding his name, because I dont want to spread crap about someone when it could be a simple mistake. Though I was smart enough to have him actually send me a paypal invoice to pay him with. I could always file a pay pal dispute.

But I cant put these on my car man, my somewhat burnt halogen housings look better than this. It'd make my car look like it had a disease.

something is sketchy.

You see it too? It might just be me but it almost looks like the sellers pics have been altered in some way. I can tell he has the housings just inside a garage area with a lot of outside light but not direct sunlight. His pics just look a lot brighter. The close up pic of his pic for the passengers side just doesn't look clear on the inside. Hard to explain but if you look at it closely, something just isn't right. His pics could have been taken 5 years ago too. We don't know that. I'm not sure if the yellowing can be cleared up or not. I would think so and if Jamie was still into this, he would be the one I'd get to make them look good again but at the moment, he's not in the position to do any headlights for now. He has a few things going on right now but I know he could have them looking like new again. I'll text him and see if he might be interested but I can just about guess what his answer is going to be. I can say though that in order for him to make them right and worthy of installing on the car, his charge will likely be $100 but maybe less because it looks like nothing has to be done with the chrome inside. Not sure who else on here might want to give it a shot besides Sapper and don't really know if he has time to deal with them or would even want to.

now this is what i'm thinking. wonder what the time frame of those pictures was. and then if they sat in his basement for half a decade.

That's what I'm thinking. Those pics are most likely very old and where they have been stored at all this time, I have no clue but if they were boxed properly and inside a home in a closet, I see no reason why they would turn yellow like that. I would just get my money back because it is plainly visible that you got an item "not described as" and if ebay can't see the difference, something would have to be wrong. Explain to them that his pics must be extremely old or something and that's what he used to sell them and then you ended up with yellowed housings.

Eh, didnt get off ebay, got it from a guy on the markviii.org forum, asked him to send me a paypal invoice, it was all done over paypal, but no, not ebay.

That's what I'm thinking. Those pics are most likely very old and where they have been stored at all this time, I have no clue but if they were boxed properly and inside a home in a closet, I see no reason why they would turn yellow like that. I would just get my money back because it is plainly visible that you got an item "not described as" and if ebay can't see the difference, something would have to be wrong. Explain to them that his pics must be extremely old or something and that's what he used to sell them and then you ended up with yellowed housings.

Possibly same policy. Owned by the same company. If you paid "for goods", you might fall in that category.

We'll see. If the guy says no way, I'd be tempted to post his name here, but eh, not sure I can be that petty. If he says no, I'll file a Pay pal dispute. If he says no to that, it'll go to a claim, if I still get no refund, well, I'll try fixing the one I guess.

In the pictures that the seller sent you, NoLimit says that the passenger side looks dirty/yellowed but since he has the amber turn signal installed in only the RH side housing it gives it a yellow/orangish look. The LH side housing has no bulb in it. What I am saying is that the seller's pictures show the lamps to be in pretty identical condition, that amber bulb just gives it a yellowish tint. I think he screwed with you, I would definitely go after him.

Members online

Back