your opinion on selling the mark

normohl

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i either need to: (with 2000 bucks)

A. Fix the mark (front end rebuild, blend door, power steering pump is going out, the differential has been replaced already, no timing chain rattle on startup) its a 98 base that has 165,xxx. if option A the question is?

can i take this to the dealership for an opinion on the condition? do they know much about these?

B. buy a different car, a smaller 4 cylinder that preferably has not been riced then the question is?

what v4 has not been riced out?
whats a cheap reliable v4?

I attend akron university, and i have to commute 50 miles round trip nine times a week, in the winter semester in ohio. the mark is not looking very viable but i was thinking instead of buying a new car i could fix the mark and move the akron to avoid driving the 450 miles a week and keep the driving to a minimum?

4cyl are in line, not v4. :wink:

I would rebuild the Mark and move. Just what you spend in gas alone, would cover rent.

Otherwise get a older crx or something that wont die.

thanks, i always wondered what the V stood for. lol

and that's what i was thinking move up there fix the mark and then i wont have to drive if i don't need to. i also need to find a cheap non ghetto place to live near campus, i know hard to do in Akron. anymore opinions?

Not all of them. There are boxters and also V-max engines. The V-max is a V-4. :D

OP: I just went through this same question. I drive 100 miles 6 days a week and thought it was time to sell the old girl and get something newer. After messing around with several cars I discovered that I was the most comfertable in my Mark and that it had more/better features over the new cars. And I only get a couple miles per gallon less. So after considering new car cost and all it just made more sense to through a couple grand at the Mark...... of course that was $4000 ago and I will still be throwing another $1000 at it this month too. :lol:

Damn ADHD. :mad:

Not all of them. There are boxters and also V-max engines. The V-max is a V-4. :D

Quiet you! :p My statement is relevant to what he was referencing.

I used to drive 140mi/day and it gets old, and any car will suffer from the wear and tear. I now drive that in a week. Got any friends near school? Maybe get a few people together for a nicer spot.

At one point my parents were working oposite shifts and they both drove the same car to the tune of ~300miles a day... my step dad's commute was 100 miles round trip and he drove around 100miles a night at his job. My Mom's was 100 miles round trip...

The miles added up FAST...

ya 450 miles a week just to go to school in the ohio winter is not ideal, maybe i can get someone to live with me so we could get into a better place.

how much do you think the front end rebuild would cost, anyways, i called maxx but he never called me back, he must be a busy man.

ya 450 miles a week just to go to school in the ohio winter is not ideal, maybe i can get someone to live with me so we could get into a better place.

Shack up with Laser...just don;t fall asleep on your stomach for your own safety. :lol:

When I drove a lot to/from work I used to count cars in ditches. I never had an issue, was the morons around me, I feared.

I believe Jaime said his rebuild cost about $300 for the parts. Blend door is an easy fix if you have an afternoon and the part is cheap. Trust me on this, you will be unhappy as hell if you get a 4 cyl. It just is not the smae thing in any way, shape or form.

my brother drives all over the state, 6 days a week in his job-he did not want to drove his Jag or his Cobra, so he bought a 2005 Civic EX-not my cup of tea, but he's put over 60,000 miles on it in the past year, nothing but routine maintenance and gets 35-40 mpg consistently. I drove it a couple of times, it will get out of it's own way (barely) and is actually pretty roomy inside. Honda engines run forever, but I have heard mixed things on transaxles.

how much do you think the front end rebuild would cost, anyways, i called maxx but he never called me back, he must be a busy man.

My front end rebuild cost $750 but I am replacing EVERYTHING
93 Steering rack
T-bird UCA
T-bird LCA
Outer tie rods
Poly rack bushings
Poly rear SRB
Addco 1 3/8" sway bar
Sway bar end links

my dad puts on about 700-800KM's a day for his appointments (he runs big Iron drilling). he drives a 2005 chevy impala that gets 1200km's to the tank (745 miles) and cost 45 dollars to fill up. thats the BASE model. 3.4L he bought the car with 19,000k on it and now i think it just hit 310,000 and only problem it has had is the cd player stopped working. the thing still has its original back tires LOL

he drives a 2005 chevy impala that gets 1200km's to the tank (745 miles) and cost 45 dollars to fill up. thats the BASE model. 3.4L

43.82 overall MPG sounds very optimistic for a 2005 3.4 Impala!

The government stats show 19 city, 29 highway and 22 combined. (now, I know the government figures don't represent real world figures, but that 43.82 MPG figure sounds well off)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

lol hell i drive from wooster to u ok akron everyday... but then again when it gets bad out i get my mountaineer out so i dont have to worry about it... what year are you and whats your major? Im a senior Electrical engineering major always looking to meet new mark viii people....

i am starting my second year in electronics engineering. electrical engineers have to take calc 3 don't they? i am dreading calc this semester but i have the easiest teacher so it should be fine. wooster to akron is a long way but i have a 7 hour span between classes on mon-thurs i have classes from 10a-12p then 7p-9p, on friday 11a-4:30p, and i dont have a mountaineer all i have is the mark.

honda vfr 750
great gas mileage too.

i don't have a coat warm enough for the 100+ miles a day.

We have to take all the calcs here for ANY engineering... my friend just finished multivariable.

all i know is i have to go through tech calc 2 in the first 2 years i have not looked into the 2 years after that, but i did here with one more math class after tech calc 2 (which is some math study course) i could have a minor in mathematics. which i would not want because, i have an odd relationship with math. i would not say i am bad at it just somethings hinder me from memorizing pages of mind numbing equations that have nothing to do with electronics.

43.82 overall MPG sounds very optimistic for a 2005 3.4 Impala!

The government stats show 19 city, 29 highway and 22 combined. (now, I know the government figures don't represent real world figures, but that 43.82 MPG figure sounds well off)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

i kid you not, i know it sounds like bull:q:q:q:q but its true lol, that car only sees the city when its driving to the highway lol. my father and i took a 1100km trip and with a full tank and when we got to our destination(winnipeg) we had 1/8 of a tank left. no one believes me when i tell them this but the thing just sips. plus my father drives like a grandpa.

i have looked at a 99 honda passport w/ 136000 miles on it, exhaust leak, abs light is on, he said the check engine light is on because of the exhaust leak? i can have him prove it on the code reader they have. its at the car place i work at for 2000 i have read many good and bad reviews about how its crap? does anyone know anything about these?

i drove it around it was real snowy and from what i can tell it runs and stops (no abs) but that's not saying much driving the mark in snow. the interior and body are clean but what does that matter?

The best part about the Honda Passport is the commercial where the guy drives one up to a border checkpoint, the border agent asks "passport?" and the driver says "yes" and drives off.

Best bet would be to ditch the mark and get something reliable for a year or 2 Even a 500-1000 beater will get you their and back, save u gas, and you don't have to worry about wrecking or fixing it. A ranger with a 4 banger will suit u well. No body ever likes seeing people get rid of marks, but you can always get another.

Members online

No members online now.
Back