Yet another Trans Question.. Sorry

96_Lincoln_LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have found that there are 2 different types of 98 transmissions...:confused:

I have searched google for the differences but to no avail.
Can someone answer these two questions?:D

I see there are 2 transmissions for 98.. one lists as RWD, ID PKE-ad
and the other is listed as RWD, W/o ID PKE-ad.. if I am upgrading my trans to a 98, which one to get and how to tell the difference?

Question 2 is this, I know the 98's have a circuit board connecting all the Solenoids, I have also heard that you can still use this and rewire the connector as long and you cut the pigtail off the TCC solenoid and hardwire it to the circuit board.. Is there any one who can shed some light on it?

Which is the best method of upgrading the trans, ripping the entire harness out of my 96 and swapping into the 98 meaning I would have to replace all solenoids, Line Pressure, Shiftpack, and TCC, and I even think I have to reuse my MALP sensor on the shifter linkage., or do I just need to get a new TCC solenoid and cut the pigtail and hard wire it to the circuit board connector, and all other solenoids are ok to use as they are. and then rewire the actual connector?

Sorry I have to deal with my trans very soon, the vibrations are killing me and since its a DD @ 84 miles daily I really cant afford to have it drop out on me over the holidays and would like to be ready to swap the trans out ASAP.
I have a lead on a 98 from a member here and want to get it prepped so I can just get the rest of the funds together to have it swapped out. I cant do this in my driveway on my back in 20* weather so I have to paysomeone to do it at the shop.

Wanting to get a comprehensive list together of parts required so I can order and have on hand so when the trans comes out, I can get to work or already have the 98 configured to just drop in.

Thanks very much for your reading this book, and Have a very nice christmas Holiday.

Bill Rice

You should be able to just re-pin your 96 harness to use the newer transmissions.

I had a 1997 Grand Marquis that I repinned the Bulkamp connector on the transmission to use a 2001 4R70W.

Start with reading some of this and I will locate the diagrams for repinning your connectors.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transwap.html

Ok maybe a misunderstanding, I have a 96 lsc, and want to go up to a 98, I didnt know I had to repin for a 98 trans, I though if I used a differnent year I would have to repin that?

Can I use the wiring in the 98 or DO I Have to use the harness in my 96?
I'm so confused at this point.......
Thanks
Bill

Bill, swap out all solenoids and the wiring harness. Remove the circuit strip and don't re-pin anything. Takes 30 minutes to do. I have heard of some bad re-pinning stories. If Tommy was still here, he could tell you about one too.

I cant do this in my driveway on my back in 20* weather so I have to paysomeone to do it at the shop.

How much are you planning to pay to get the swap done? I'm sure I'd be willing to do it for a bit less, and you'd get to help. ;)

HPIM0333.JPG

How much are you planning to pay to get the swap done? I'm sure I'd be willing to do it for a bit less, and you'd get to help. ;)
I LOVE your setup DLF. Man I wish I had that cause the work I do would be SOOOOOOOOO much easier. I could also maybe get my car half as clean as yours under neath it. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.
Back