Yea, I did what everyone said not to do. (Diff Questions)

Hey don't make fun of my bad spelling :p no noise, maybe a little bit of vibration >90

I'll have to post a video tomorrow on what it's doing. I've heard of people making a 1 piece out of the 2 pieces tho.. What does that entail?

I had a 94 Mark that near the end of its days, at a little over 110 (no gears) the drive shaft would shake and at times make a terrible sound. Scared the crap out of me the first time it did it.

Holy SMOKES! Pinion does NOT move in and out at all when crush is set. It sounds like you never crushed the collar at all. I don't know how you would get any setup #'s with crush not set. You might have already killed them. Oh also an impact gun does NOT crush the collar or any impact I own. You should have just asked for help.

250 ish. But problem is you might have done damage already. Also It would have to be a complete tear down because I would not trust anything in there. You where also "pounding" the pinion bearings by not setting preload.

So I need to find a 93 ds now.. How hard is that to replace

hindsight is always 20/20 should have taken it to a shop especially having never even looked inside a rear.

i ordered my trac loc and gears from
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...play.php?f=320
3.73 or 4.10 ford racing gears 125.00 new in box if yours are shredded (sorry but it may be silent now, but the damage may creep slowly) you said you had everything replaced BUT the ring & pinion & carrier. that IS everything except the bearings. i hope the shop didn't just slap new bearings in and not check the guts.

93 driveshaft is easy to find, found a couple for 80-120 on carpart.com , but i would let someone else put it in with new u joints you dont necessarily have to change to a one piece (93) but if your gonna change it might as well. some people go with steep gears with stock driveshaft some shake some dont, but saying the u joints "seem" ok after what just happened if its me when im in there i replace anything i can new if its old and already apart.

hindsight is always 20/20 should have taken it to a shop especially having never even looked inside a rear.

i ordered my trac loc and gears from
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...play.php?f=320
3.73 or 4.10 ford racing gears 125.00 new in box if yours are shredded (sorry but probably are) and i cant find a place anywhere in south fla less than 325, for a rear swap on a IRS and you'll have to make sure all those metal shavings didn't screw up your diff.

driveshaft is easy, found a couple for 80-120 on carpart.com they are gonna have to take it out anyways when you redo rear but if there is anything salvageable do not move the car, please.

Whoa whoa whoa. Please tell me i'm seeing gr81 seperating his thoughts. I think I need to be pinched. :eek:

They put in all new bearings, races, shims, and oil. The guy let me watch as he did it all and was teaching me all about what he was doing also, which was pretty cool. He showed me the ring and pinion gears and they still looked brand new surprisingly. If I ever have any trouble with them I have that site bookmarked. I cant believe how much of a difference it made in the car tho, found all that power that has been hiding. Would replacing all the U joints get rid of that sound possibly? or is it a balance issue?

Whoa whoa whoa. Please tell me i'm seeing gr81 seperating his thoughts. I think I need to be pinched. :eek:

PINCH.
actually i was also going to add i routinely beat the piss out of my d/s and rear with new motor and trans well over 100 alot and no prob with stock d/s.
just 4 motors, and a wreck LOL
my "new" 98 is almost ready should be this week hopefully or next. i saved alot of the parts including coil overs there is just one spring they cant get to because theres no back seat. couldnt even pull the stereo cables out the body was smashed so toght. 1 more foot it would have been the end
crash2.jpg
:eek:

it could be both, but those d/s have been known to vibrate at higher rpms because of the 2 piece design, but like i said, especially after what you just did to the rear i would have done the u joints anyways, your in one of those 'catch 22' situations if it was there before its and/or both so do both

so you drove 60 miles on it like that? and no damage? what kind of gears were they and im guessing you didn't stomp on it.you are really lucky if it holds

my one piece ds 93 shakes pretty good between 85-95. so the one piece ds's aren't perfect either.

I never passed 20mph on them. I drove all the way to town with my hazards on. lol but as soon as they were right.... I gave them hell

It's probably too late, but you should also "break-in" a new gear set to prevent them for possibly being noisy later.

I usually do 15 minutes or so with light load then allow the differential to cool completely. Then next a 30 minute workout with light to moderate load and another complete cool down. Finally a 45 minute or so with moderate to high loads introduced and another complete cool down. Check the lube level and drive as you wish, following up with a lube change after 500-1000 miles to clean out any particulates from the new gears and bearings.

Members online

Back