Xcalibrator 2

GWL

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
OK Guys, I ordered my new The XCalibrator 2 from Torrie today. Any advice or cautions?
:Beer

looks like a great unit - remember that the first LSes on the XCal1 had to go through some 'kinks' - but it was all worth it.

Post on how it went!!

Quik LS said:
looks like a great unit - remember that the first LSes on the XCal1 had to go through some 'kinks' - but it was all worth it.

Post on how it went!!
Can i ask what an XCalibrator 2 is ?

here's the thread on the on the XCalibrator 1:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/sh...874&postcount=8 -> the issue I talk about having to pull the fuses during upload has been fixed.

The XCal2 is Better, Stronger, Faster.....

http://www.sctflash.com/xc2.php

XC2_r2_c2.gif

The LS was the first car to use the new Ford PCM - and killed our ability to tune the car - that is until SCT reversed engineered the code and created the XCal to allow SCT dealer to tune the code and re-upload it into your car.

Quik LS said:
here's the thread on the on the XCalibrator 1:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/sh...874&postcount=8 -> the issue I talk about having to pull the fuses during upload has been fixed.

The XCal2 is Better, Stronger, Faster.....

http://www.sctflash.com/xc2.php

XC2_r2_c2.gif

The LS was the first car to use the new Ford PCM - and killed our ability to tune the car - that is until SCT reversed engineered the code and created the XCal to allow SCT dealer to tune the code and re-upload it into your car.

Thanks.....I'v had my 00 for over a year, dont drive it much but i love the car, have been concidering a S/C body kit, lowering , and i like the front end on the 05's, i would guess you could change it out....

it is all based on your PCM code - if they have cracked your code - then yes.

E-mail Torrie @ fordpartsnetwork.com with your vin or PCM code.

GWL said:
OK Guys, I ordered my new The XCalibrator 2 from Torrie today. Any advice or cautions?
:Beer

And the cost from Torrie on the newer X2?

Curious minds want to know.

Hope to hear RAVE reviews from you on the product.

go to his web site - it's $369 like every other SCT dealer.

We purchased the XCal1 at $325 + a $50 cable

the XCal2 is $369, uses USB and has data logger functionality - which was a seperate unit from SCT...

I got my SCT Xcal2 from Steeda in Canada for $350, should have it delivered to my door step in a week.

I am super excited to install this unit on my LS.

-Scott-

Xcalibrator2

Took delivery yesterday on my new Xcal2 from Torrie. :biggrin: Have tried all three tunes and with minor adjustments Torrie will be making, I am very happy. I do not have any way of measuring the increases, but over 47 years of experience with race cars and motorcycles tells me that the increases with program 2 & 3 are significant. Have not run #3 hard & long enough to tell if it pings on my 2004 LSE, but it feels good!!!! Short runs do not indicate pinging, but due to high freq hearing loss, I am taking it slow & easy.:L

BE CAREFUL HERE!!

Where I own an 04 Cobra, I am very, very familiar with flash tunes and chips. This is such a huge issue with the Cobras that Ford has done something about it. First and foremost...if your car is tuned or chipped, your warranty is void. Period. No questions asked. Believe me...there have been many guys scream and yell and quote the Magnussen/Moss Act all to no avail. Ford is on solid ground. If you find a friendly dealer, they will ignore it. But here are the main issues other than warranty. If you take the car in for service and they do a flash, it can overwrite your tune. If they have to hook up a scan tool, they SHOULD know it's been flashed or chipped. It is so easy to tell if you've chipped it....they just look at the service port of the ECM and see if it's been tampered with! But many have THOUGHT that a flash from a tuner like this was not detectable. WRONG!! They can read that the ECM has been flashed. If that flash doesn't match up with their records, you're toast. So even if you pull your aftermarket tune and reload the factory one before you go in for service, they can tell.

Guys, Cobra owners have been going through this for quite some time now and Ford has it figured out. THEY CAN TELL! I actually got it straight from Diablo that they can tell...but it's not easy. SVT right now is requiring this proceedure on any major drivetrain warranty. Now, an LS is not a Cobra and I can't imagine anywhere near the issues with this car that the Cobras have had. But you've been warned...proceed with caution.

The xcal stores your factory code in the tuner so you can reload it for such occasions at taking the car to the dealer.

Relax!!! - I have reloaded my factory tune several times when needing to have the dealer touch it - and they cannot tell because you have simply put the original code back. I flash in the dealer parking lot, let them service it, and then flash it in their parking lot before driving off.

Quik LS said:
Relax!!! - I have reloaded my factory tune several times when needing to have the dealer touch it - and they cannot tell because you have simply put the original code back. I flash in the dealer parking lot, let them service it, and then flash it in their parking lot before driving off.
You da man! :Beer

Quik LS said:

That is NOT true Quik! Ford CAN tell that you have flashed the ECM...regardless of whether or not you have returned the factory tune.

Here's the deal...when you flash your new tune, it leaves a record of that flash. When you return the factory tune, it leaves another record of a flash. Now you have two flashes recorded. If the dealer sees that, they simply compare the flashes with their records on their computer and see if the flashes match what they (or some Ford dealer) did. If not, they know it was an unauthorized flash. Even an authorized flash from an independant shop will be recorded in their system as Ford had to supply the flash.

This is a HUGE problem for the Cobras. For a few hundred dollars in parts and a tune, it is easy...VERY easy....to get 500 hp to the rear wheels on those cars. But the car HAS to be tuned to do it and that is where the hang up is. Guys have been known to switch everything back to stock for warranty service only to have it denied and voided because the got caught with a flash or chip. Finding the flashes in the ECM is not easy and most techs either don't look or don't know how. But Ford and SVT know where to look and they are informing their dealers to look before any major drivetrain warranty is authorized. Like I said...even Diablo told me they could see it if they know where to look. That being said, this is not an issue that has come up with an LS...so it is something that may never be a problem. Dealers, especially Lincoln dealers, are not aware of this being an issue with an LS and would have no reason to look for it. But if I had a lot of warranty left on my vehicle, I would not flash it knowing what I do and seeing what has happened with the Cobras.

I'm done posting on this subject. I'm off my high horse and will leave well enough alone. But if you don't believe me, call 1-800-FORDSVT and ask them about this.

Well - I tell you - my LS is obviously modified - and the dealer fights any warranty work. They sent my PCM off to 'Ford' claiming it was modified - it came back from 'Ford' with a clean bill of health - and the dealer covered the repairs..........

2001LS8Sport said:
That is NOT true Quik! Ford CAN tell that you have flashed the ECM...regardless of whether or not you have returned the factory tune.

Dude your comparing the LS PCM with the Cobra PCM??? Two totally different computers!!! They could not be further from design from each other. EEC-V compared to PTEC is apples to oranges. In this case I would tend to trust Quik due to the fact that he is basing his case off of real world evidence/knowledge and not speculation of the two PCM's being similar enough to even compare to each other.

the LS was the first Ford the the new generation PCM - it took five years before Ford placed it into mainstream.... F150, Mustang....

Quik LS said:
the LS was the first Ford the the new generation PCM - it took five years before Ford placed it into mainstream.... F150, Mustang....

I would think that the Explorer is pretty mainstream. As of 2002 and up the explorers got the PTEC pcm too.

I am ordering my Xcalibrator 2 from Torrie later on today. How do you guys that have it like it? Is there noticable improvement in power? I have a 02 V8 Sport. I am looking forward to the harder shifting with SST and I wish they could change it to start off in 1st gear but it seems they cant do that.

ohioLS said:
I am currently waiting on mine from www.steeda.ca, supposed to recieve it sometime this week they said.

-Scott-
Has the new programmer been able to cure the shift delays and mis shifts the tsb was supposed to fix?

jwdomino said:
Has the new programmer been able to cure the shift delays and mis shifts the tsb was supposed to fix?

Good question I guess I will find out when I get it.

-Scott-

Members online

No members online now.
Back