Wrecked my LS

And the engine was also most likely shoved back forcing other things shoved aft. Cars are designed to fold in all sorts of ways to protect the occupants.

The engine most likely didn't even move. All the damage is way above the crush zone and we are looking at mostly cosmetic damage. Look at both front fenders... they would have buckled if the crush zone was effected. The only serious structural damage is the radiator support... they are pretty flimsy and can be bent back with little effort.

The only reason the car would be totaled is the cost of professional collision repair. For the DIY'er this is a pretty easy fix. It looks worse then it is.

The engine most likely didn't even move. All the damage is way above the crush zone and we are looking at mostly cosmetic damage. Look at both front fenders... they would have buckled if the crush zone was effected. The only serious structural damage is the radiator support... they are pretty flimsy and can be bent back with little effort.

The only reason the car would be totaled is the cost of professional collision repair. For the DIY'er this is a pretty easy fix. It looks worse then it is.
This man knows what he is talking about. That car is not very hurt. I don't know where the airbag sensors are on a LS. If they are high on the core support, you may see a deployment in a smaller accident like this. It usually takes a pretty good wack to move an engine, and this one didn't move. Also factory HID's would probably total it. Most of us know what those cost.

The steering wheel airbag did go off. I remember when mine was totaled out they said it was basically the hid's +both air bags that did it. P

That car is not very hurt. I don't know where the airbag sensors are on a LS.

Wanna bet??? I had a tire tread take out my bumper and the damage was about a grand. There is always damage that goes unseen. My estimate (no, I'm not an estimator....) on what I see in the pics is about $4K.

The sensors are behind the bumper cover, in front of the radiator and below the outside air temp sensor. The damage looks well above the sensor and less than 35mph (I thought I read somewhere that is the speed threshold).

Wanna bet??? I had a tire tread take out my bumper and the damage was about a grand. There is always damage that goes unseen. My estimate (no, I'm not an estimator....) on what I see in the pics is about $4K.

The sensors are behind the bumper cover, in front of the radiator and below the outside air temp sensor. The damage looks well above the sensor and less than 35mph (I thought I read somewhere that is the speels has threshold).
I rebuild totaled cars as a hobby. It's an old car at this point. Parts can be had relatively cheaply, and likely that car needs very little frame repair (pulling). A front clip with cooling would have everything you need to repair that car short of the airbag and SDM reset. I'm not sure if the LS seatbelt pre tensioners but those may need to be changed also. I'm pretty sure I could fix that car for about $2500 and probably less If I could find a LS being parted. It would probably be $6500+ if a shop does the work. The car is totaled, but it looks like a nice project for a rebiulder.

Thanks for all the support guys it definitely helps a lot. Thank god no one involved was injured or harmed in any way. The other vehicle was a ford ranger not sure what year, it only suffered a severely bent rear bumper.

People can say what they want about the LS but mine, despite beating the crap out of her on a daily basis, fought for me until the end. Im confident very few cars out there would have had me walk out of that without a single scratch, and the b1tch was still running and driving!

Unfortunately for my LS I only had liability on her so i wont be getting any insurance money. My options are to try to repair her or part her completely out and buy a cheap car just to get around until i can afford something better.

Anyway, removed the hood and some debris and i think shes salvageable but i have to do a bit more digging to be sure(as well as get a professional opinion). Looks like the rad and support took most of the hit. Can anyone say otherwise from these pics?

4C31D584-ACD0-4259-9C03-F25F35D40E39-311-00000023FD84A44A_zps3a59a271.jpg

D73706CB-1428-4412-874B-E599F2F9F281-311-000000240F040F10_zpsf68d6ff0.jpg

DF97FDCF-CDE4-43B6-9351-14D515DD5667-311-0000002404429B41_zpsa801a216.jpg

94D01922-24CF-46A8-8F77-F0A0DDA6D0BD-311-00000024153529B8_zps2da8c58c.jpg

Sorry to hear you only had liability on the car, fixing this car would probably run more than the car is worth, my dad recently had a fender bender and only had liability too on his 2009 jetta,the accident was not as bad as this but it did have a little bit of the frame bent, cost in repairs with discount was 4500 and that was using some aftermarket parts to save cost, this is probably a tough position for you man considering you have to see what route you will take, if you decide to part this car out you will sure make some good money selling stuff on the forum or online, good luck man

Does the engine make any noise when running? Looks like the water pump may have taken a hit......

I second (or third, or fourth, or........) happiness that you're OK. That's the important part.

I dunno, it's right on the border of fixable and throw away. Obviously the body damage, and the radiator support and the radiator, most likely water pump, pulleys and most likely a long list of other things. My biggest worry is obviously the engine, who knows if you have a stress crack in the block somewhere now, and I'd hate to see you repair it only to find out you had a cracked block later.

If you got the space and tools I'd start disassembling the front end completely. Obviously toss all the body work (which is really expensive on its own), possibly get some bucks back for recycling that. And start examining the motor and the really important bits. If all that looks to be in working order and no real damage to it, you could probably find a rear end crashed LS and just begin swapping and be alright.

At the end of the day, you will always wonder if something you missed, and I am sure there will be new creaks and pops to listen to.

I dunno, it would be cool to see you bring it back, but cost/time/effort/reward VS buying something newer/similar/nicer/not wrecked.

Maybe if you get a parts car you could get most of what you need from there. Something needing an engine or transmission could be really cheap. Sell everything that you don't need. The cooling system stuff that looks broke isint too terribly expensive new. It may be possible to buy a replacement LS and part yours out, or swap in your engine/trans. Just brain storming here, I have been known to fix things that others would scrap.

Did that Ranger have a hitch?

I thought I saw a few parts cars locally on craigslist, not sure if were gen II or not though, but I would say try to get a parts car, even if color does not match you can try your skills with the plasti dip or wrap. Then there may even be other parts left to sell from the donor car and get some money back. If you need a hand give me a shout.

DAMN!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUDDY NO!!!!!!!!!!

Another ls down, but I'm glad you're ok. That accident does not look pretty. Glad the ls is such a great car at taking hit and keeping it's passengers safe in accidents. I hope everything works out for you, If you need help, I will do my best and do what I can.

Liability only?! Yea, toasted.

Hood, fender, radiator, bumper, and some elbow grease on the rad support will get it back to looking like it did. But those pieces are expensive to not have insurance help.

IMO, it is car shopping time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back