window clunks when rolling down

i would let it break before i bought a new one, personally. it is a 10 yr old car...
but to each their own

Here you go BigRig:

pop the window switch off and disconnect the plug on the underside
20130304_183614_zps59db93fd.jpg

two screws under a flap behind the door grab
20130304_183056_zps0569ac0d.jpg

one screw along the trailing edge
20130304_182906_zps9d5772d8.jpg

three screws along the bottom edge
20130304_183124_zpse0d3892c.jpg

start finding pins (9 of them in total), use a panel puller or mini-pry-bar and try to find the most resistance to pull/twist against (PULL them, don't be a wussy).
20130304_182738_zpsbc77a97e.jpg

20130304_182654_zps6a991ebc.jpg

20130304_182638_zpsedaacde0.jpg

then unplug any connectors and voila
20130304_182416_zps6b5f2fba-1_zpscd00a5b4.jpg

Okay Joe, now some photos for you

I couldn't see the motor, I didn't pull the plate off, but here is the problem:

clip on front rail. the rear rail wasn't in any better condition
20130304_173556_zpsd92df310.jpg

pieces of clips removed from the inside of the door
20130304_181430_zpsd11ec495.jpg

Like I said I couldn't see the motor. But if the clips are unique, I'd have to say the pieces look like the pics of the Gen II smart motor.

I'd be pretty sure you have the gen II smart motor setup since you have auto-up and bounce back. AFAIK, the motor very rarely fails, so no need to order more than just the regulator.

agreed^

if the motor works fine, and you recovered a bunch of broke plastic, i would not waste any money on a motor, with two LS's and three broke regulators, i have not had to replace a motor yet!

Thanks Stumpie, I saved this pic to my drive, this is what I wanted to see before I ever have to get into it.
I so hate pulling on any door panels like that without fully knowing where all the pins are.

thanks again ... much appreciated!

Thanks Stumpie, I saved this pic to my drive, this is what I wanted to see before I ever have to get into it.
I so hate pulling on any door panels like that without fully knowing where all the pins are.

Don't let the sound of the pins releasing scare you!! It sounds like something is being torn apart!

oh I know it, just my luck, I have managed to break some in the past on other cars.

I can definitely say that this LS panel was easier to remove than my '97 Explorer, which hung onto the door by the window opening, you had to line up and cram the rubber seal along the top edge of the removable panel into the window opening and then hope the pins lined up. And the pins were those cheap soft plastic ones that break every time you sneeze on them wrong.

dsc03143.jpg

dsc03145.jpg

I have a Tool & Fastener store near by me and they have bins full of all sorts of clips.

All sorts of oddball stuff one might need. Very handy place for sourcing cheaper aftermarket or for when you just need one or two of whatever, as apposed to being forced to buy 20 in a box. Last I walked out that store I ended up with a handful of clips for just over 3 dollars.

~ gotta be able to walk past all the "sales" of the nice expensive power tools though.

I'm the type that when you send me to a store to get a single item,
I return 4 hours later with $200 of crap I didn't need and ends up in the basement.

My wife doesn't send me for "just get Milk" at Costco anymore.

I'm seeking help for it.

I just got chewed out for the same thing last fri....Never send me alone to buy 1 thing.

replace the clips

you can buy replacement clips on ebay.

or you can plastic weld the old clips back together better than new.

this new plastic is repairable with a soldering iron, just line up the broken pieces and heat the plastic back together. I always add some additional plastic to strengthen the area better than new. works great. you can see how its done by searching youtube under plastic welding.

I would have clicked the Thank You button three times but it disappeared after the first. You just saved me $60!

Do I have to remove the window glass to replace the clips? Is this a fairly easy procedure? How do the clips attach to the regulator?

Thanks, from what I understand it is of a rare-ish palette. Hopefully that doesn't end up screwing me some day.

clips

you kinda bend the clip around the metal frame, you'll see. Just take out wire ends and insert them in new clip then slowly bend the clip around the metal frame., yes you need to remove the glass. be careful, just loosen the nuts that hold the glass. lift glass GENTLY out top of door. Gentle with the glass, I had one bind on me and break.

So....... Anyone have the part number for the clips; '06 LS? The p/n the dealer gave to me, xw4z-5421572-aa, doesn't look like just the plastic clip. I did see some on ebay but I want to make sure I order the correct item.

Nevermind....... I'll just replace the regulator. It's ~$85 for a Motorcraft unit from Rockauto.

Pay attention to that new regulator when it comes in to make sure it actually is a Motorcraft unit when it arrives. Rock Auto hasn't been too careful about shipping the brand you order here lately but they've not had a problem charging for that brand name part. I won't be ordering from them anymore because they tried to do this to me.

Members online

Back