why is my steering wheel shaking?

94mark8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
why is my steering wheel shaking? better yet, how do i fix it? is it cheap/do it myself type of thing? :feedback :give :L

:q Hey maybe you need a wheel alignment or a balance LOL Are yout tires worn down ?? could need new rubbers>>>>>

If the balance does not stop it your sway bar end links could also be bad. I balanced my tires with no change until I replaced the links. Try the balance first though.

I had the same problem mine shook all the time, very noticeable on the freeway starting at 50mph and only got worse the faster we went, the shaking inthe wheel would really get bad when I braked, got brakes checked, got new pads, got alignment, after a few weeks, problem back, a few DAYS later back again, got new tires, back again, got new joints, back again..finally traced it down to ROTORS! the morons ground them down and put them back on, they really needed replaced, had to threaten court before Midas would finally put new rotors on, after the rotors, smooth as silk (Midas would aslo give me crap about the pads, my Mark only wanted Ford ceremic pads, all others screamed when I hit the brake!). Found someone who knew a little andhe told me that the abs was causing the shaking due the slighly warped rotors. Mark VIII's are as spoiled as Paris Hilton cept with much more class and speed (Paris is fast, but she is pretty slow!). Good luck

Same thing happened to me. Replaced the outer tie rod. It used to shake a lot when I went over 50mph. But it could be other things people mentioned.
:Bang

Looks like I have the warped rotor syndrome

meangy9 said:
Same thing happened to me. Replaced the outer tie rod. It used to shake a lot when I went over 50mph. But it could be other things people mentioned.
:Bang

My mark did the same thing. When ever I braked, the steering started to shake. When I started to post here, people noticed my tires were put the wrong way. The front tires are going the different direction then the back tire. After I switched the front tires to the right spot, the steering stopped shaking.

In this pic you can see the mark tires are going the different way

804072_34_full.jpg

wobbly wheel

I had same problem.

I did what everyone else said;

get new tires and a balance
get an alignment
get the tie rod ends checked out

I also had new rotors as the old ones were warped

good luck.

Mine also shook at high speeds,when I first bought it but it had two different brand of tires on it and they were low end cheapo's and the rear were almost bald. In the first week of ownership I replaced the corroded 20 spokes with snowflakes and four brand new directional high performance V rated tires and now do over 100 MPH with no vibration.

I have a very annoying steering wheel shake as well. I do not know what the problem is. I get at around 45mph. Without touching the brakes. I have new 18 inch wheels and tires as well as Hub centric rings. I need a few other ideas before i bash this thing with a hammer it is driving me nuts.

Nice Car - Lets see some more pics.

Anyway, about your wobbly wheel...

Assuming you have good quality tires that were balanced correctly and your tie rod ends are in good shape and your brake rotors and pads are also in good condition and you have had an alignment you should be in good shape.

If I had confirmed all of these things and still had a problem I would probably be scratching my head.

Good Luck!

same thing here i replaced the rims tires, rotors, iner and outer tie rods , upper ball joints, sway bar links, and the strut rod bushings, she is as tight as a 98 lbs vergin

mark0101 said:
My mark did the same thing. When ever I braked, the steering started to shake. When I started to post here, people noticed my tires were put the wrong way. The front tires are going the different direction then the back tire. After I switched the front tires to the right spot, the steering stopped shaking.

In this pic you can see the mark tires are going the different way

Very cool! top notch!

Something I think that I saw somewhere on this site...one of the studs on the each front hub is painted yellow on the end. The valve stem on the wheel should align with this stud. I'm not quite sure why, but its no big deal so I do it. It has to have something to do with balancing or whatnot. I'm not sure if all Mark VIIIs are like this, but my Gen II is.

There is a TSB(technical service bulletin) out for, I think, the 97-98 models concerning "steering wheel nibble" . Has something to do with replacing a spring in the rack. I'm going to get a rebuilt rack and see if this cures the problem.

97 Ivory Pearl VIII said:
Something I think that I saw somewhere on this site...one of the studs on the each front hub is painted yellow on the end. The valve stem on the wheel should align with this stud. I'm not quite sure why, but its no big deal so I do it. It has to have something to do with balancing or whatnot. I'm not sure if all Mark VIIIs are like this, but my Gen II is.

WOW... THAT IS THE FIRST I'VE EVER HEARD OF THIS...
I've got a 98, been behind my wheels plenty of times. NEVER SAW A YELLOW STUD

I've got perfectly balanced Cobra R Wheels and Great Tires...
Had each balanced on the Hunter GPS 9700 Load Balance Machine! (BEST)
Went through the balancing process several times... Won't let them hang
a weight on the outside of my Cobra R's, so perhaps thats it. But I still have a slight hic-up between 45-50mph. Other than that, its on rails! Send or post up a pic of the yellow stud... I can't believe we've not heard of this before.

JC

I have a 96 VIII - bought used with 35K miles. Same vibration problems that people have mentioned. I've balanced the tires, changed the pads and rotors. Still the 60-70 mph wiggle and the braking shimmy. Next thing is to change the hubs. Being an engineer and having a big pry bar, I noticed the the whole front suspension is loose. Given the air ride system and the marginal A-arm bushing design, I figure the torque caused by braking rotates the A-arm assembly, which feeds back to the steering system. So the cure is as people have mentioned - tighten-up everything with new parts. From the tie rods, sway-bar, A-arms, ball joints, new tires and rims, rotors / hubs, and even changing the air ride struts to aftermarket ones or non-air types. Gonna cost big money, so I'm starting with the cheapest parts first - hubs are next.

Members online

No members online now.
Back