Why a continental?

Continental

• Total voters
I bought my continental because it had the town car option package. It is boxy, but I don't care, I like the concealed, vacuum assisted headlights and I like everything about the car. It is so much different then other cars I have owned.

Why would you put limited slip into a mark VI? For burnouts? I doubt that cars engine (if original) could supply enough power to two spinning wheels.

Why a Continental

I bought mine this past october with the moon roof open and the stereo blasting away life is good. :cool:

best car i've owned

A special breed we are, is why it caught my eye. love at first site, silver over drk grey leather, lots of power, and all the luxuries of a fine hotel....

:gr_hail: :L

I've only been a member for a short time, but Barry, you're full of B.S. Yes, the '56/'57 Continental was made by Continental Division. It was an awesome car in its day...still is! However, it has the 368 Lincoln engine (pulled from the line and balanced, though) and the same transmission as the Lincolns. The original (Mark I) was the Lincoln ZEPHYR Continental of 1940, based on Edsel's custom '39 model. Not widely known is that two others were built, one for Henry II, the other for his brother, Benson. Younger brother, William Clay, headed Continental Division. Ironically, the division headquarters building became headquarters for EDSEL. It is said when Edsel's widow was told they were naming the new "E" car after him, she closed the door in their faces.

Love my 92 Conti!

Pepsi2185 said:
LOLOL the late eighties early nineties continental. Oooooh jeez. Mostly known as "the v6 one" and yes are completely junk. Every sensor display computer and part on that car will go out. They are very expensive cars and usually people that stop buying lincolns in my experience stop buying them because they get "a v6 lincoln". For starters the bad head gaskets, and the bad digital dash. Then the small stuff like buzzers and switches and sensors. Throw in the most unorthidox air ride system that lincoln has had and you have yourself a hard one to love. But i know a lot of people who have one and they do not do all that bad stuff to everyone. Just the head gaskets. People tend to steer clear of those years unless they really love the car.

Do we have any V6 conti lovers in here???!!!!

You MUST be talking about my car! I've loved and pampered it for the last 3 years and 40k - but everything is on the fritz. Front air shocks are gone, head is f-ed up (leaves cute little puddles of "hot chocolate" everywhere - you know, a tasty mix of coolant and oil), digital dash is on the blink (literally), automatic climate control is flaky.

OTHER THAN THAT... I LOVE IT! LOL

I'm 19 and this was my first car - grandma gave it to me. I can remember back when I must have been about 10 years old - my grandfather always had one and as a kid I was in love with his cars (he used to always take me to the horse races). He had a 77 Mark, an 85 Town Car, and now a 92 Town Car which is just cherry - he bought it in 2002 with only 23k on it! He bought grandma a white 98 Sing. Conti and I got her 92. When I got it it has just clicked over to 100k and they had done LOTS of work to it! When I got it I continuted with the endless repairs and even got ambitious and added a gold kit (24k gold plated grill, emblems, hood orniment, trunk latch) it was a real sharp car - the gold went great with the deep emerald jewel paint.

The car sits in my drive way now - front fenders resting on tires - its a pathetic site. I'm currently car shopping... not just car shopping... Lincoln shopping. Yes... Lincoln shopping. So I guess even with all I went though - I don't want to drive anything else. I'm currently in the market for a 93+ Mark, 92+ TC (although a 94 would be ideal), or 95-97 Conti.

I'm currently eyeing a beautiful loaded white 93 Jack Nickclaus TC at the local Linc./Merc. dealer - one owner, just 93k on her, and also a 96 Conti with 106k from a private individual.

Wish me luck!

conradsconti.jpg

78 Towncar 460, thats what power braking is for. Have you seen my photo garage? its not a posi burnout but the car was mostly stock.

1983 Continental Givenchy edition just turned 104,000 miles have had it for about 2 yrs and love it, is alsoa great trip car

I bought my 1997 Continental after my 1990 98 Olds Regency was stolen. I did my research on Edmunds.com and it said the long term reliability was above average. I like the power and the handling and the ride and fuel economy. I paid $6700 CN and the average retail price was &10,000 in my location. I have replaced many steering/driving parts and am fixing up the interior. I have $4000 to $5000 so far into the parts/service. I am treating this car as my hotrod and plan on keeping it. I will donate it to our local museum to sit beside their 1973 Continental.

Regards,
Brad.

I've driven and had so many Continentals from 95 to 2001.

I love these cars. But everyone of them have different character.

One feels more powerful, another may run smoother, one may run tighter, and another may have a louder exhaust growl.

My 2nd continental

I had a 1979 Mark V. I loved the outside of the car, it was stunning. I however, hated the inside. Cadillacs of that day were much more stylish inside. I now own a 2001, and I love the inside, and not sure about the curvy outside yet. On the other hand, I have owned about 15 cadillacs. I am finding that as the years go by, I am preferring never lincolns to caddys. My love for cadillacs really ended in 1991 and that is really where I pick up lincolns!!

because i got a 98 for trading a laptop, otherwise, I would not have ever chosen a continental, but it's growing on me.

It has nice power, luxurious interior, interior room. It also rides nice even with the larger rims.

08-18-07_1653.jpg

Last edited:
Have a 95. A couple of years back when I was car-shopping, I was mostly interested in a Town Car or possibly Merc Grand Marquis. I was vaguely aware of Continentals but not as well versed as with Town Cars. One day, I saw this beauty on the lot, and asked the dealer about it. It was a 97 Continental, pretty scratched up, so I didn't buy that one. But here's the thing. It's odometer had over 600K's (380 plus miles) and when we turned it on, it just purred. That was it for me. Continentals were on the shopping list. I think to answer the original question that they are somewhere between big luxury and sporty for me, and one article I read aptly described them as "luxury cruisers". That's kind of how I look at Contenentals as I do a lot of highway mileage. Anyway the one I finally bought has been one of the best, most reliable cars I have ever enjoyed, and she gets pampered something awful.

Lincoln is one of the last really well made cars. We wanted another Mark, but the Viii was over in 1999 and the Conti was the available car we liked best. Owned since new its still a nice car, but we have spent some money on it to keep it that way. Nothing new is tempting us to give it up, so I suspect we keep it another 5 years or so.

New owner

You start like me!
You prchase one for the first time ride in it, Then never want to drive anything else then a Continental.

I had a 67 Fastback Mustang, had to sell it to pay medical bills.
Never tought I would love a car like this again.
Boy I was wrong.

I found my Icy Lady back... Yep that her name Continental 19951

My father gave me his 93 Lincoln, he had it for a little more than 10 years, i was about 8 years old when he test drove it, i liked the car and i wanted him to get it, ten years later, the air ride is gone, replaced with a regular suspension, a new engine, new tires, i need some mufflers and want to eventually paint the car(the original color is nice, will probably repaint it the same color), those years are nice looking cars, they look better than at least the 95/97 model years to me. The V6 contis design stood out to me, at least the biggest problems are fixed now, i'll try to replace things on the car before they go wrong.

Aww Yes The Continental

Hey peoples i just stopped by this site and seen these comments about the wonderful continentals...yes of course im a big lincoln fan myself and recently bout myself a 95? continental...and it?s one of the best cars i got (well besides my towncar), but when i first got my continental i notice it had the glass packs...so it has that mean musle car sound to it,and also had the custom air intake with cone shaped K&N air filter, it was kinda odd seen this luxurious car/muscle car theme to it...but im a luxury & muscle car lover so it fits my personality =)...and with that 4.9 engine roaring down the street, this luxury beuty has plenty of turning heads especially not expecting the loud dual exhuast from a 95? lincoln continental...its a car i fell in love with the first turn of the key...and them seats are just as nice as everything else bout the car,what can you say??? lincolns are the top of the line luxury cars...besides the rolls royce, but who has the money for that...haha

Why a Continental? BECAUSE THE 4.6 NORTHSTAR BLEW A F-ING HEAD GASKET AND IT BLEW AGAIN 3 DAYS AFTER PAYING THE DEALER $4600 TO FIX!

I have only had my Continental for a few days and it needs a few fixes, but not a new motor at least! Although, I do still love Caddy's, I really do love this lincoln too!

Members online

No members online now.
Back