Why a continental?

Continental

• Total voters
J

justcauz

I know that seems like an odd question but I have come to find that Conti owners are a bread of there own.
I would like to know why you decided to own a Continental?
I am the proud owner of three Conti’s and I love something about each one.

:W

WELCOME!

Bring some fellow conti owners here -- so we can have a group of conti owners! Your right, a breed of their own and we would love to have all of you find a home here!

How are you I'm a new Member and proud owner of a 1994 Lincoln Continental
Performance white over Burgandy leather. We are a breed of our own why? I don't really know maybe it's because the looks and comforts on a Continental are as pampering as they come. :L :D

Continentals Are the comfort riding cars whiles the Mark’s look more sporty. That is the only difference I can come up with but then again I am one of the only guys here that doesn’t own a Lincoln. LOL

Oldies but Goodies

I presume that most of you are talking about the new front wheel drive Continentals (I'm new here) but the ones I like are the '60's suicide door converts-I own two '67's. Does anyone else on this site have a '60's Continental, convert or hardtop?

With the amount of time i spend on ebay staring at them i might as well act like i do.

The question is why not a continental. I think you guys remember the mid eighties continental. 87 being my favority besides the mid sixties drop tops. You get the speed of a mark seven with as much enhanceability (is that a word?) and the size and comfort of a town car without that F150 feeling engine. Besides that a heck of a lot more options, TC being the flagship i think not it always was the continental, the most options, and the best resale value. No matter what kind of lincoln you favor anyone can agree on a continental.

big Joe

I like the conts of the 60's and 70's. The 80's ones look pretty good but they are too small for my taste. You may say "its not small". But you have to understand all the cars I've ever owned (and ever will) have been rather large(look at my sig).

I've heard horror stories about the servicability and reliability of 90's conts. Is this just a common misconception? Being that I haven't owned one I wouldn't know. People say bad things about the 80's TC's reliability but I have to say they are built solid.

Does the 80s-90s cont have a dedicated following like the mark and TC? If so I am very glad. American cars need a following.
:L

LOLOL the late eighties early nineties continental. Oooooh jeez. Mostly known as "the v6 one" and yes are completely junk. Every sensor display computer and part on that car will go out. They are very expensive cars and usually people that stop buying lincolns in my experience stop buying them because they get "a v6 lincoln". For starters the bad head gaskets, and the bad digital dash. Then the small stuff like buzzers and switches and sensors. Throw in the most unorthidox air ride system that lincoln has had and you have yourself a hard one to love. But i know a lot of people who have one and they do not do all that bad stuff to everyone. Just the head gaskets. People tend to steer clear of those years unless they really love the car.

Do we have any V6 conti lovers in here???!!!!

Yes I am a 88-94 Conti fan I own one (Conti94). anyway's I think it's just luck you get good ones and you get bad one's mine is a great one safe to say. :) I think the people who have lots of trouble with these and keep them are addicted to the ride and beauty of these Conti's there like expensive women who put whole's in you're pockets you can't stop spending and want to but just can't let go. ;) :L

Hi Guys! I just joined the forum a few minutes ago and I'd like to sa "HI". I have a '98 Conti (white over tan leather) and I love it. It's a modern-styled car with a real sweet V8 and FWD and rides like a luxury car but still handles like a much sportier car - what's not to love.

I have a 98 towncar and my dad has a 97 continental. I was just trying to isolate what was thought to be a suspension problem on his. Turned out to be the 3rd brake light, anyways. I was noticing the electronic connector on all 4 shocks then remenbering the high cost the dealer gave for the shocks. Which at the time I couldn't understand. I had just assumed that the firm, normal, plush was commanding the air-springs in back only. As I had been told the 95's or 96's were the last of the 4 wheel air struts. But you are actually commanding the shocks. There also there seem to be height/weight sensors at all 4 wheels as well. That really suprised me since cadillac made it sound like they were the first to use the quick acting hydro shocks with magnetic fluid vs the air shocks they had used for 10x quicker reaction time. It's a shame with a bit beefier tranny and maybe an available or standard Ls diff it could really compete performance as well as ride with cars such as lexus, benz, acura etc... Also the stigma of lincoln hurt them as well. As while I do prefer rwd and really want a mark VIII I have to say the 97 is really a very nice car. And comparing a year or 2 year old conti to a acura or lex price wise isn't even close.

BRIAN O'KEEFE said:
I presume that most of you are talking about the new front wheel drive Continentals (I'm new here) but the ones I like are the '60's suicide door converts-I own two '67's. Does anyone else on this site have a '60's Continental, convert or hardtop?

I have a '67 T-Bird with suicide doors. I like the continentals more though because they were available in a convertible.

Conti-

I just purchased a black beauty 2002 Lincoln Continental. I call her, "Black Sunshine" (after a White Zombie track about a black 400 horsepower Ford :cool: )

I bought it for the power and style. I must say, this is one fancy car. I feel rich! I used to own a Crown Vic, but I got sick of the whole "cop thing". The Crown Vic is a nice car, but the Conti is ruler!

I'll post photos of my Conti soon!

None of you have Continentals

You all drive Lincolns. The only true Continental is the 1956-57 Continental Mark II. All other Continentals were made by the Lincoln Division of Ford Motor Company. The Mark II was $10,000 in 1956 and a regular Lincoln was under $5,000. It was virtually a hand built car in the Deusenberg tradition.

Continental was a separate division of Ford Motor company for about four years. It had been the Special Products Division. Its only product was the Mark II although a four door version and a Retractable hardtop version were planned. The Retractable roof mechanism was transferred to the Ford Division to be used in the 1957 Skyliner.

I'm not saying anything bad about your cars. I have a 1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car with 16,000 miles on it. I love my Town Car, but it is a Lincoln.

Barry

1956 Continental Mark II convertible
340096_106.jpg

Why A Continental

I have in the past owned a 66 Cont coupe, a 72 Cont coupe and a 71 MkIII.
I wish I still had all of them. I went several years without :L a Lincoln in my garage, but in 2002 I bought a new 2002 Cont (actually for my wife) and it is a fine automobile. Rides and drives good, gets very good gas mileage and that is important in these time when gasoline is so outrageously high. I will stop rambling, but I love all Lincolns, whether Continentals or Town Cars or Marks and will continue to drive them as long as I can.

To Barry - That blue Mark II Conv that you own is a beautiful automobile and I know you are proud of it. It is a shame that there were not enough of them made to go around, so I guess you and one more person (if the other one is around somewhere ?) will be the only ones to enjoy owning them.

when quality was a goal

The very first car I could call my own was a '61 Conti. It was a fine looking car inside and out, held five adult sized teenagers, all of the luggage we wanted to haul, and would still get up and go. My older brother had a '65 Conti rag-top that was a real sharp set of wheels. These cars handled much better than the Caddy's, and had better finished interiors. Less of a Vegas touch you might say.

NO1GRAM,

Thanks for the kudos. The second Mark II convertible is owned by the Goeppinger family of Boone, Iowa.

There have been about a dozen made over the years, but only two were authorized by Ford. There are several replicas for sale. Mine is the only one with the distinctive metal boot covering the top bows.

Barry

340096_93.jpg
1956 Continental Mark II convertible

why a conti?

all it took was a test drive. its the smoothest driving cars ive ever been in, has planty of room, plenty of power (outside of first gear), and all the bells and whistles. its been in the shop for 3 months (all together) and has a brand new rear suspension, thousands of new sensors, a few hundred feet of new wiring. but its all worth it, cuz its just such a comfortable car. :L

Love My 98 Continental

Bought the car and am in love, except for some popping noise in the front which the dealer says seems to be the ball joint, can't really complain. One thing I like is the price I paid for such awesome luxury.
:L

derek, are you gonna nix the smog system and up the compression on that 400 or leave it stock?

Pepsi2185 said:
derek, are you gonna nix the smog system and up the compression on that 400 or leave it stock?

Hi Pepsi

I am all spent out at the moment so i can't do much of anything. The smog system is still on the car but not working as the pump is siezed, allthough I have got a new EGR valve on order to try and cut down the pinging.

I am not sure about upping the compression it pings enough as it is, I have been toying with the idea of fitting a lumpier cam and 4 barrel carb to try and get some more go out of it, I also thought of trying some avgas in it to see if the pinging would subside.

I am not worried about keeping it stock, it's one of those cars that is far too good to scrap but not good enough to be a keeper.

Regards

Dereck

Members online

No members online now.
Back