Why a continental?

Continental

• Total voters
does it have cats? If it has a fuel door too small for a leaded pump (size of a diesel nozel) then I wouldn't use lowlead or lead substitute. As the lead would clog the cats and if there is one the 02 sensor.

I fell in love with my first Lincoln it was a boat much like Dereck's then later in life I met this older gentileman that had one of every model built in '79 he had over a 10 of that year alone. and I thought they where the most magnificent car on the road.
I saw my first conti when a man I knew purchased it. I loved it then and when he opted to sell it I jumped at the chance. found three more and own them as well.
I cought the bug and I got it bad.

I wanted to chime in on the part of the thread about the v6 continental. I unfortunately owned a 90 continental for a couple of years. I suppose there are good and bad...mine was bad. It looked good, but I put more money just keeping it on the road than I paid for the car. The pricey things were the front suspension (2500 at the dealer) back suspension (I replaced with reg. struts (1300) and I had to have the heads redone (1200). I really liked the look of the car, but looking it back it wasn't worth it. And to to add insult to injury.....I think it could possibly be the slowest lincoln ever made 140bhp.
Needless to say I wasn't deterred enough to stay away from the lincolns cuz now I have a mark 8 ( with exactly double the horses ) And to close, I must agree with many of u in that the 64 drop top convertable conti is my dream car.........and she will be mine........eventually.

I bought my first Continental today and so far it is going fairly good it's a 1990. :cool:

Congrats pepperman, isit a base or Signature? How many miles and how much did you pay?

Conti94, I will find out whether it's a base or signature, and the miles tomorrow. What i paid for it, 800 dollars. :cool:

well i dont durrently have a conti but i had a 1999 conti before she met the bad side of a tree n i loved that car the pre4formance and comfort was amazing and seeing all these older ones makes me want to get one of them right now i drive a 95tc but i would love to get another conti

I have a `87 conti since`94 that I love It has 16" epic chrome rims. The ride is addictive and it handles pretty good too . I added a`98 lsc last year.Both are here to stay. Fox body conti`s are becoming rare

I had a '94 Signature series in Red/Red/RED! fully loaded with a sunroof and all!
I loved it like crazy! (I had to, I had to do a lot of work on her,myself { switched from air-ride to shocks, 2 oil pumps, a radiator, overhauled entire brake system, electrical issues,and so-on) Something about it though, I didn't mind always fixing her though.
She was a very sensual car to look at and drive. Unfortunately, I owed my Father a debt when I gave her to him so he could get a sizable loyalty rebate when he got his Grand Marquis in'03.( He got something like $4500 for it and it had 130K on the clock as a trade.) I miss my '94 Conti like crazy.(Btw, that was called even on the debt, even though somebody fared out $2500 better than was "sacrificed" earlier.{LOL}.)
(Not to mention somebody's Mercury will be paid-off next month, too!)(POPS! I love you anyways! ;) )

Well I own a 76 Conti Mark IV. I use to have a Bill Blass Designer of the same year. I love both the cars. They are always reliable, and it seems to me that these cars were built with a little more care.
front_agle_view3.jpg
:L

undefined
justcauz said:
I know that seems like an odd question but I have come to find that Conti owners are a bread of there own.
I would like to know why you decided to own a Continental?
I am the proud owner of three Conti’s and I love something about each one.

:W
I have had a "craze" for Continentals since I was kid.
I remember my next door neighbor's continental the day I first saw it.
It was a 59 MKIV convertible and I was really taken by it's size and design.
Even at i5, I knew some day I would own one.
Years went by , as well as countless other cars from Cadillacs to t-birds to Mustangs.
I have had them all.
The dream of the 59 convertible vanished in time.
When the 77 Continental mkv came out,again, It was love at first sight.
I spent the next couple of years dreaming of the day I could have my own.
When I finally did get one, it was in 1981 and it was the 1978 limited edition, Diamond Jubilee.
I have had that car ever since and today it is as good looking and running as it was the day I bought it.
Once I became computer savy and started visiting classic car sites, the old dream of the 59 convertible was rekindled.
Last year for Christmas, I gave myself one very restorable 59 convertibe as a present.
I have done alot to it in the past year and I am so proud of it.
Soon I will be posting pictures of it on this site.
More than likely within the next few hours or days.
I am gald to be the newest member of this site and hope to be "talking" with lots of new online friends.

Alright Bob!!!!!! I feel the same way about my 96 that i want. 69 mark III also makes me very happy. Make sure you bring that bad boy to our meets this summer. I especially like the rare 59 mark. The country/city option on the radio is pretty cool. I saw a black one at a car show this summer and was taken with it.

Welcome, and enjoy the site!!!!

justcauz said:
I know that seems like an odd question but I have come to find that Conti owners are a bread of there own.
I would like to know why you decided to own a Continental?
I am the proud owner of three Conti’s and I love something about each one.

:W
i have a 98 conti and i just love it !! its got it all!! i added all redline and synergyn synthetics in engine and tranny, k&n filter, removed restrictive mufflers and put on maurauder tips. talk about alot of get up and go.purrs like a kitten :L

Why a Conitinental?

I bought 90 Conti dispite everyone telling me what terrible problems I was going to have.Its a beautiful car with perfect interior and only a few problems that as a mechanic, I'm not too worried about.As far as the v6 goes, the mpg is welcome after 2 years of driving my Towncar. :give

crazyman said:
I bought 90 Conti dispite everyone telling me what terrible problems I was going to have.Its a beautiful car with perfect interior and only a few problems that as a mechanic, I'm not too worried about.As far as the v6 goes, the mpg is welcome after 2 years of driving my Towncar. :give

i get better gas mileage out of my 97 mark than i did my 90 conti....the car was just too heavy for that weak 6. Am I wrong? was my conti getting unusally bad milage?

Well, i dunno, I'm compairing it to an 89 Towncar with well over 200k.The Conti doesn't exactly get mind blowing mileage, but its not bad.I guess "good mileage"
is very much relative.

A Continental, because of the distinct ride, and of course, the Continental style.

In the ‘60’s a Lincoln had a hood that stretched out horizontally from the driver, while Cadillac had a hood that pointed down from the driver into the road. The Lincoln seemed to have a very comfortable cruise feel to it, sort of floating down the road. It was also very precise; you could take your hands off the steering wheel at 80 MPH and it would go straight as an arrow. You could drive it all day, 16 hours, and you didn’t get fatigued.

Someone was advertising used 1969 Lincolns in the NY Times as an American Grand Tourismo machine somewhere around 1972. That was a very accurate description of the car, which had the new computer designed 460 engine.

The somewhat “boxy” design made driving such a large car a snap; you could see every corner of the car, front and rear, making it very easy to park, or otherwise maneuver. Because of Cadillac’s rounded corners, it was a bit more difficult. Cadillac had a different road feel to it.

Drive an older Continental today, and people constantly ask you, what year is that Continental, or is that a Continental, etc. The history of the car is impressive. Named after a great American President.

Here is the first Lincoln Continental, custom built for Edsel Ford, an art rendering at The Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach:

http://www.geocities.com/vitas00/LINCOLNS/1939Continental.html

I have `87 contie since `94 I love it the ride is addictive

Why Continental?

I have owned 4 Lincolns over the years. My first was a '73 4-door with the monster 460 V8. A real floater on the highway, and surprisingly quick at the stoplight for a 5000+ lb. car. My second was a '80 Continental Mark VI 4-door. Underpowered with a 302 V8, it still rode great. Third and probably my favorite was a '95 Continental. Strong V8, front wheel drive, hands down the best car I ever owned for driving in the snow. I'd set the ride to "plush" which gave more ground clearance, and I could drive through snow that came up over the rocker panels. My present Lincoln, a '97 Mark VIII is definately the fastest of the bunch. Not a muscle car, but darn close considering the size and weight.

The '95 Continental just seemed to fit all of the things I wanted at the time. Four doors, nice sounding V8 under WOT, 4-wheel air suspension, bells & whistles (the holographic gauges were so COOL!) and a decent sized trunk for our family of three. I still miss it during the winter and sometimes kick around the idea of finding another one.

Ross

Hey does anyone have an early 80s Conti? I have an '81 Mark VI and I was wondering what mods I could give it. I was thinking posi, but does anyone have any suggestions (keep in mind I'm on a budget)

Hello to everyone!

Im going to pick up very extremely rare 1980 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe!!! :wrench Yes its 2dr!! Not very many see this car comes with 2dr very often!!

I will post some pictures to show you of '80 Town Coupe!

:L

Jason

My name says it all. Best car I've ever had I'm only 18 but ive had a couple this is def. my fav.

62 Hardtop Conti

Just brought one home over the w/e. Runs but needs work. The ride is SMOOOTTTTTH and it's already bringing my neighbors over.

Members online

No members online now.
Back